Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Studying Videos of Opponents

How much value is there in this? The reason I ask is because yet again Mayweather claims this:

"I’ve seen a couple rounds of him in Collazo and I’ve probably seen a couple rounds of him and another fighter but I never really watched Ricky Hatton fight and I don’t study tapes on fighters"

surely it can be nothing but useful to see what your opponent is going to try in the fight.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Studying Videos of Opponents

A Fighter shud study his opponents............

u hav to kno wat your going to be facing once u get in2 the ring......

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by hackey100
    How much value is there in this? The reason I ask is because yet again Mayweather claims this:

"I’ve seen a couple rounds of him in Collazo and I’ve probably seen a couple rounds of him and another fighter but I never really watched Ricky Hatton fight and I don’t study tapes on fighters"

surely it can be nothing but useful to see what your opponent is going to try in the fight.
    it's just part of him selling himself as the greatest boxer to ever live.
    By saying he doesn't study fighters people will say "Well PBF was great, I mean think about it he never watched videos of his opponents leading up to the fights"
    We really don't know whether this is true or not but IMO chances are he's lying.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

In honesty studying tapes of opponents can do more harm then good at times....You go into the fight expecting the fighter to do a certain thing and all of a sudden he is not doing of what you seen in the tapes your mental game plan is suddenly washed away.....

The only real advantage to studying opponents is body language,,,,EG- a fighter can change his style but will not change stuff like how he feints or when he moves does he prefer right then left or left then right...stuff like that can not be changed in just one fight like offense can be....

Best to leave the tapes to your trainer and he will decide what clips your should see
    Hidden Content IN CASE THEY ALL FORGOT WHAT REAL HEAVYWEIGHT POWER WAS!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Good point Daxx. Just heard Mundine last night say the same thing as PBF in preparation for his upcoming bout against the Argentinian Clavero. He put it in the usual humble way too, something like 'I don't watch tapes of opponents because it's all about the man and what i can do. Doesn't matter what they do etc etc they cant beat me etc etc if i prepare properly etc etc'..................

YAWN.
    “If you even dream of beating me you'd better wake up and apologize.” Muhammad Ali.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by bikersk
    Good point Daxx. Just heard Mundine last night say the same thing as PBF in preparation for his upcoming bout against the Argentinian Clavero. He put it in the usual humble way too, something like 'I don't watch tapes of opponents because it's all about the man and what i can do. Doesn't matter what they do etc etc they cant beat me etc etc if i prepare properly etc etc'..................

YAWN.

What not a fan of humble fighters?

IMO once a fighter gets to an elite level the studing of tapes becomes obsolete....by time a guy is on a P4P list or world champion they have seen it all and can adjust accordingly in the ring...if they didn't have the ability they would not be at that level in the first place.....

I am a firm believer that fighters should watch fights in general...be it his own weight class or any other,,,,you can never stop learning....but tapes of opp,,,,can't really say it helps one way or another

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Id say a fighters trainer should watch tapes of their opponent and focus training on certain things accordingly, the fighter themselves could over analyse their opponent bringing a negative effect.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Daxx Kahn

YAWN.

IMO once a fighter gets to an elite level the studing of tapes becomes obsolete....by time a guy is on a P4P list or world champion they have seen it all and can adjust accordingly in the ring...if they didn't have the ability they would not be at that level in the first place.....

I am a firm believer that fighters should watch fights in general...be it his own weight class or any other,,,,you can never stop learning....but tapes of opp,,,,can't really say it helps one way or another
    I'm quite a fan of Mundine, always have been. Just that the guys who talk and talk and talk i find boring and doesn't add anything to a fight for me because it's easy to see through. Mundine saying he's the best, well no he was beat by Otke, Siacca and then Kessler. People recognise Joe as the best at super middle not Mundine. Maywether saying he's going to do this and that and prepared to die, well he's not, he's prepared to use his skill and movement. N'dou going on about his 1000 push up's a day before the Paulie fight. Well it's not a fucking pushup competition. Darchinyan going on about how everyone's avoiding him, well they're not!! There's better fights out there than him. Shut up about it. Anyway going to have my medication now.
    “If you even dream of beating me you'd better wake up and apologize.” Muhammad Ali.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by gally
    Id say a fighters trainer should watch tapes of their opponent and focus training on certain things accordingly, the fighter themselves could over analyse their opponent bringing a negative effect.

Thats what I was saying in my first post...let the trainer watch the tapes and if there is something that he feels you need to see or study...he can choose what you watch....or look out for

YAWN.

I'm quite a fan of Mundine, always have been. Just that the guys who talk and talk and talk i find boring and doesn't add anything to a fight for me because it's easy to see through. Mundine saying he's the best, well no he was beat by Otke, Siacca and then Kessler. People recognise Joe as the best at super middle not Mundine. Maywether saying he's going to do this and that and prepared to die, well he's not, he's prepared to use his skill and movement. N'dou going on about his 1000 push up's a day before the Paulie fight. Well it's not a F****** pushup competition. Darchinyan going on about how everyone's avoiding him, well they're not!! There's better fights out there than him. Shut up about it. Anyway going to have my medication now.

Ha Ha Ha CC for the rant.....I agree some guys just don't shut up....I firmly believe they talk just to hear their own voices sometimes...look at saturdays card....after Tarvers fight he was just going on and on about nothing....not even once did he make a valid point....oh well

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by gally

Thats what I was saying in my first post...let the trainer watch the tapes and if there is something that he feels you need to see or study...he can choose what you watch....or look out for

YAWN.

I'm quite a fan of Mundine, always have been. Just that the guys who talk and talk and talk i find boring and doesn't add anything to a fight for me because it's easy to see through. Mundine saying he's the best, well no he was beat by Otke, Siacca and then Kessler. People recognise Joe as the best at super middle not Mundine. Maywether saying he's going to do this and that and prepared to die, well he's not, he's prepared to use his skill and movement. N'dou going on about his 1000 push up's a day before the Paulie fight. Well it's not a F****** pushup competition. Darchinyan going on about how everyone's avoiding him, well they're not!! There's better fights out there than him. Shut up about it. Anyway going to have my medication now.

Ha Ha Ha CC for the rant.....I agree some guys just don't shut up....I firmly believe they talk just to hear their own voices sometimes...look at saturdays card....after Tarvers fight he was just going on and on about nothing....not even once did he make a valid point....oh well
    And CC back. Maybe they just watch tapes of each other crapping on rather than fight tapes.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

For me it's the trainers job to study the tapes...Granted many boxers watch them with their trainers, but i feel it is essentiallythe job of the trainer to formulate the best strategy to beat an opponent and then the job of the fighter to apply it.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by hackey100

Tis bullshit. If he'd barely ever seen Hatton fight, he wouldn't get in the ring with him. It's all part of his game, and he's full of shit.

Thread Information