Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Most profound reaction I've ever seen.

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Most profound reaction I've ever seen.

My father is a boxing fan andhe's a great guy to watch a fight with, however the boxing he does watch is very limited.

Since boxing was taken from terrestrial television over here he hasn't seen much world level boxing in a long time. (Big fights like Ricky Mayweather, Mayweather DLH and Tyson Lewis were exceptions.) However the last time he followed boxing on a regular basisi was around the era of Steve Collins, Benn.

So you can imagine my amusement last night while I was watching a tape of James Toney vs. Sam Peter my Dad walked in and said who's that?
    When I replied "Thats James Toney" his jaw dropped and the answer I got was hilarious "Thats James Toney? What the hell happened? He used to be one of the best conditioned fella's in the sport!!!! Did he swallow a restaraunt?!!!"

I then went on to tell him about the steroid use; "And he still looked like that?!!!"

Ha Ha of course he still had the image of James Toney at Middle and Super Middle embossed in his memory. However, as funny as I found it I felt a little saddened that the memory of one of his favourite fighters was tarnished so badly by James continuing "efforts" in our sport

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Most profound reaction I've ever seen.

Quote Originally Posted by hitmandonny
    My father is a boxing fan andhe's a great guy to watch a fight with, however the boxing he does watch is very limited.

Since boxing was taken from terrestrial television over here he hasn't seen much world level boxing in a long time. (Big fights like Ricky Mayweather, Mayweather DLH and Tyson Lewis were exceptions.) However the last time he followed boxing on a regular basisi was around the era of Steve Collins, Benn.

So you can imagine my amusement last night while I was watching a tape of James Toney vs. Sam Peter my Dad walked in and said who's that?
    When I replied "Thats James Toney" his jaw dropped and the answer I got was hilarious "Thats James Toney? What the hell happened? He used to be one of the best conditioned fella's in the sport!!!! Did he swallow a restaraunt?!!!"

I then went on to tell him about the steroid use; "And he still looked like that?!!!"

Ha Ha of course he still had the image of James Toney at Middle and Super Middle embossed in his memory. However, as funny as I found it I felt a little saddened that the memory of one of his favourite fighters was tarnished so badly by James continuing "efforts" in our sport
    I hope for your dad's sake you didn't put any recent Evander Holyfield fights on

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

That's funny....

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

hA hA i THINK IT'S A COMING OF AGE FOR HIM TO SEE A FIGHTER THAT WAS SO DAMN GOOD AND SO WELL PREPARED SHOWING UP AGED AND BLOATED THESE DAYS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Fernando Vargas has to be the most shocking, he looked like Marshmellow man in his last fight

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by The Bookkeeper

Fernando Vargas has to be the most shocking, he looked like Marshmellow man in his last fight
    I never thougfht that Vargas was ever in tremendous condition
    But then again I was never overly fond of him either.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by The Bookkeeper

I never thougfht that Vargas was ever in tremendous condition
    But then again I was never overly fond of him either.
    Vargas was well conditioned, but he used steriods and he conditioned the wrong way. He's a prime example of why boxers need to use weight training differently than football players. You know more about conditioning than I do, Donny, but as I understand it, Vargas was really macho in the weight room and lifted like he was a freakin' body builder and ended up hurting his flexibity and endurance in the process. I could be wrong about this, but I think he worked hard, but he just worked wrong

Thread Information