Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default which foot forward?

I'm pretty new to boxing & am trying to get my techniques right.. Their isn't a club close to me but I am going to find one in a few months.. until then I guess you guys are my source of advice...

I'm right handed, so which foot should I have forward when in a fighting stance? Specifically when i'm power punching.. one friend has told me I should have my right foot forward while i'm pounding into the bag & others have said my left...

It's probably a very basic question so my appologies..
    ~ He thinks he's a Tornado,,,... F'ckn real Tornado is comin'...! ~Hidden Content

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: which foot forward?

Your left foot should be foward. Yes, it is a very basic question, about as basic as you can get.

Mentioned
    448 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Most boxing trainers would have you with your weakest side out front as first defence. So that in mind your left foot out and left hand out front.

Many fighters have recently proven that the reverse can be used ,even by beginnners to produce a better system for themselves.

Fewer still but gettting popular is to train to your weakest side up first so that it matches your naturally strong side and so you would become a fighter who can bang even off both sides.

Im all for the last thing,I would work off both sides with one side forward and promenant as well as square shouldered sometimes as well (so that you can reach the bag with both hands equally, even if you have one or the other legs slightly forward.

But to fight for real , (Not just training the bags) you have to be in what feels best for you personally.
    Hidden Content " border="0" />

I can explain it.
    But I cant understand it for you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

^^^ Thanks a lot for the detailed reply. At the moment I feel comfortable with my right foot forward, and have my whole life..

But as i'm relatively new to training, I've still got a lot of time to change & feel good in either stance.. So i'll try training with my left foot forward and see how it feels after a month or 2.
    As I saw mentioned in another post, it's always an advantage if you can feel comfortable in multiple stances. But thanks again for your help guys.
    ~ He thinks he's a Tornado,,,... F'ckn real Tornado is comin'...! ~Hidden Content

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

boss, if you are right handed i would definately try and lead with your left hand (left foot forward), this way you will have a stong back hand and a puch harder punch than you would boxing as a southpaw (leading withyour right).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

^^^ Trained for a few hours last night with my left foot forward and it already feels very comfortable.. Feeling a lot more comfortable punching with my left hand from this stance as well.

Thanks...

Thread Information