Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crazy old Aussie boxers - Fenech is fighting Samart Payakarun and Harding wants Green

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Crazy old Aussie boxers - Fenech is fighting Samart Payakarun and Harding wants Green

Oh dear. In todays news Fenech is set to fight Samart Payakarun once again. I have no idea why, he doesn't need money (i think) and he's 43 and hasn't fought in 12 years. Heres the link:

I'll love youse all again

And also in last weekends Sun Herald here Former Light Heavy Weight champ Jeff Harding has basically called out Danny Green. I don't have the article but he said he would only need to train for 6 months to flog Danny Green. Now Harding is 42 i think and has had terrible struggles with alcohol. I spent some time with him a few years ago, he wasn't drinking anymore and was in ok shape but seriously........................
    Last edited by bikersk; 03-12-2008 at 03:19 AM.
    “If you even dream of beating me you'd better wake up and apologize.” Muhammad Ali.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Crazy old Aussie boxers - Fenech is fighting Samart Payakarun and Harding wants G

We have all gone nuts down here!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Crazy old Aussie boxers - Fenech is fighting Samart Payakarun and Harding wants G

Must be all the cane toad licking...
    “If you even dream of beating me you'd better wake up and apologize.” Muhammad Ali.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Do you think Fenech is just hard up for money? I have to wonder since it wasn't so long ago he got done for shop lifting? used to living a certain lifestyle and not having the dosh to uphold it any more - getting desperate perhaps?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Fenech is getting a million.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Sharla View Post
    Do you think Fenech is just hard up for money? I have to wonder since it wasn't so long ago he got done for shop lifting? used to living a certain lifestyle and not having the dosh to uphold it any more - getting desperate perhaps?
    I don't think he needs the money, he certainly shouldn't anyway. The shoplifting thing I think was just a typical Fenech thing, he just finds trouble where ever he goes. I think he even owns one of the apartments at that Versace place where the shoplifting thing happened. They are worth millions. I guess its hard to know. He seems to be pushing the "I have have the fire in me" line so maybe thats it, and since there has been a mild resurgence in the money that can be made the two might be enough to make him want to jump back in again. He promotes fights and i guess will promote this one so there's more money to be made there if it is a success.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Ok so I just watched the full story. Fenech obviously doesn't need the money it seems he's trying to restore some cred with the Aussie people to me after the bad press he's had over the last few years. Sounds like Payakarun called out Fenech and he's accepted. He's training 7 days a week and is being trained by Johnny Lewis one of my Fav trainers. And yes he is getting $1M for the fight.

Mentioned
    1684 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I love Fenech and at least he fighting another old man.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by THE THIRD MAN View Post
    We have all gone nuts down here!
    Let them fight Fenech will get sparked out. His chins shot to pieces.

ICB Guest

What the hell happened to Fenech ?? he used to be one of the toughest SOB's in boxing, not many could stand toe to toe with Azumah Nelson, then after he got a pasting off Nelson in the rematch his punch resistance seemed like it had disappeared and then he got stopped by Calvin Grove who is a light puncher, then his career got ended by Phillip Holiday, did that 2nd loss to Nelson really ruin him ??

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by bikersk View Post
    Ok so I just watched the full story. Fenech obviously doesn't need the money it seems he's trying to restore some cred with the Aussie people to me after the bad press he's had over the last few years. Sounds like Payakarun called out Fenech and he's accepted. He's training 7 days a week and is being trained by Johnny Lewis one of my Fav trainers. And yes he is getting $1M for the fight.

Can't imagine Johnny Lewis wanting anything to do with this madness.
    "I take good care of my people. I like to inflict permanent psychological damage."

Mentioned
    1684 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Even when Fenech fought Nelson, his hands were shot to pieces because they were battered. Also the early days of him starving himself to make weight, read a book where he said he fainted after running and loved brushing his teeth because he could not swallow the water but just have it in his mouth gave him some relief, meant his career was going to be shortened.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ICB View Post
    What the hell happened to Fenech ?? he used to be one of the toughest SOB's in boxing, not many could stand toe to toe with Azumah Nelson, then after he got a pasting off Nelson in the rematch his punch resistance seemed like it had disappeared and then he got stopped by Calvin Grove who is a light puncher, then his career got ended by Phillip Holiday, did that 2nd loss to Nelson really ruin him ??
    I actually think the first Nelson fight ruined him, he did everything in that fight but get the decision and he took it really badly, he got sparked in the first round of the Nelson 2 fight and did well to get to round 8 but was done and dusted after that. The Grove loss affects his legacy IMO as i believe a third Nelson fight was on the cards. Nelson would have KO'd him earlier in fight 3.
    He was sensational in the first Nelson fight and he was a tough guy but his defence was lousy and this ultimately found him out in the end. This news of a comeback is sad though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It just occured to me that poor old Harding is hardly being mentioned in this thread and all the talk is of Fenech.

Just like when they were both fighting in their primes!

I feel bad for Harding, he was a 2 time champ but never got any respect.

Maybe he needs to call out Mundine not Green. He is the kind of Washed up fighter Anthony is after!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by eagle View Post
    It just occured to me that poor old Harding is hardly being mentioned in this thread and all the talk is of Fenech.

Just like when they were both fighting in their primes!

I feel bad for Harding, he was a 2 time champ but never got any respect.

Maybe he needs to call out Mundine not Green. He is the kind of Washed up fighter Anthony is after!
    You are spot on there. I can just see mundine talking the fight up and how dangerous Harding is.

Harding was my Favorite fighter after that first title win i thought he was very tough. Later on i would frequent some of the pubs he did in Sydney and it was sad to see him the way he was when he was drinking.

BTW that's him in my little pic there in case no one guesses who it is.

But he is one tough guy alright and would put in a good fight at any age but he couldn't be at the standard needed to beat Green after only six months training and no warm up fights. He is one however who does really need the money so you never know.

Thread Information