Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Cotto-Margarito: Another in a long line of P.R.-Mexico mega fights

Gomez-Zarate, Sanchez-Gomez, Gomez-Pintor, Benitez-Palomino, Chavez-Rosario, Trinidad-Campas, Trinidad-Vargas...

Cotto and Margarito are set to face off in yet another mega fight between two countries rich in boxing tradition and history. Few things get my heart racing as much as a championship fight between Puerto Rican and Mexican fighters. The rivalry is about as intense as they get.

So to my good buddy, El Gamo... LET'S GET READY TO RUMBLE-E-E-E-E-E!!!!!!!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Cotto-Margarito: Another in a long line of P.R.-Mexico mega fights

This is going to be a great addition to an already great rivalry. I have to say I am a bit scared for Cotto. Margarito is by no means the most talented fighter in the division but he is IMO the most dangerous.

I still think Cotto should beat him though.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Margarito's dangerous... no doubt about that. I think he's also got a better chin than Cotto. But Cotto's got the speed and the overall boxing skills over Margarito. The punch Cotto has to be careful of is Margarito's uppercut, since Cotto has been susceptible to that punch in the past. In the "heart" department, both have plenty. So all in all it should be a hell of a fight. Early prediction: Cotto by late round stoppage.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Good post guys , i have to say that Margarito is a real good warrior when he get in to the ring and when pressure his opponents to make his fight , but i never seen how Margarito can control and focus when feel in bad situation , because an opponent like Cotto he probably going get an a situation like that , so sometimes is good to see the reaction of boxers when get this situations , Margarito is good with his uppercut and have good Stamina too , but is slow and have some flaws that maybe could be in disadvantage with Cotto , Cotto in his latest fight he improved a lot of skills that surprised to somes Fans and spectators of boxing and I'm telling you guys this going be a Real War , the first that put respect inside the ring that is who going take the lead and make his plan of fight , if Margarito use his uppercut , he have to take care with Cottos hook and body punch , he sometimes throw punches too open and with Cotto speeds that isn't good......I'm rooting to my Gallito 100%......

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Mexico (and Mexican-Americans) vs. Puerto Rico is one of the great rivalries in boxing, maybe even the greatest.

Let's hope Cotto-Margarito is up there with the likes of Gomez-Pintor and Trinidad-Vargas, and not quite as one-sided as Chavez-Rosario.

I plan to be at MSG for this one in July. Can't wait.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by SweetPea View Post
    Mexico (and Mexican-Americans) vs. Puerto Rico is one of the great rivalries in boxing, maybe even the greatest.

Let's hope Cotto-Margarito is up there with the likes of Gomez-Pintor and Trinidad-Vargas, and not quite as one-sided as Chavez-Rosario.

I plan to be at MSG for this one in July. Can't wait.
    Yea SweetPea is like a Topic that i made before an Article about the birthplaces of the most and better boxers that have P.R. and Mexico i mean Tainos vs Aztecas , those are a Greats Puertorican vs Mexican boxers............
    Enjoy some Pics.......

Last edited by Macho; 04-14-2008 at 07:15 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I was hoping this fight could land in Vegas but Bob Arum already ruled out venues outside NY/NJ. Why not Vegas?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Chicali View Post
    I was hoping this fight could land in Vegas but Bob Arum already ruled out venues outside NY/NJ. Why not Vegas?
    Because Cotto is the big name and moneymaker in this fight, not Margarito.

Because of that, the fight needs to be in NYC, where the overwhelming majority of the Puerto Rican population in the US is located.

If Margarito had the bigger fanbase, then the fight would be in Vegas or LA, where the vast majority of the Mexican population in the US is located.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Because of that, the fight needs to be in NYC, where the overwhelming majority of the Puerto Rican population in the US is located.

If Margarito had the bigger fanbase, then the fight would be in Vegas or LA, where the vast majority of the Mexican population in the US is located.
    Well put, and 100% correct.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post

Makes sense but isnt Vegas the mecca of boxing. If Cotto has a huge fanbase then he'll be followed to Vegas, right? I bet he comes to Vegas to fight Floyd.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Makes sense but isnt Vegas the mecca of boxing. If Cotto has a huge fanbase then he'll be followed to Vegas, right? I bet he comes to Vegas to fight Floyd.
    Vegas might be the mecca of boxing, but Madison Square Garden is the most famous arena in the history of boxing. If you can fill up Madison Square Garden, why would you really want to go anywhere else?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Vegas might be the mecca of boxing, but Madison Square Garden is the most famous arena in the history of boxing. If you can fill up Madison Square Garden, why would you really want to go anywhere else?
    More $$$ maybe. But yeah, i think Cotto would feel as the visitor if they fought in Vegas. Margarito's faithfull would certainly make a presence. So Margarito needs to suck it up and fight inna pro-Boricua crowd arena. I wonder if this gives Cotto an edge already, it certainly didnt work for kermit the frog.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Macho made a similar thread to this one last week.

Heres what I posted there and a link to Machos thread.

Quote Originally Posted by CutMeMick View Post
    Que barbaro mi pana!!!
    Ahora si que sacaste un 10 con este articulo.

Good article but theres been plenty more fights then those listed here's some of my favorite PR vs. Mexico fights....
    (In no particular order)

'Chava' vs. 'Bazooka'
    JCC vs. Rosario
    Pintor vs. Gomez
    Baby Casanova vs. Sixto Escobar
    'Finito' vs. 'Nene'
    Calderon vs. Cazarez
    Tito vs. Yory Boy
    Raul Perez vs. Wilfredo Vasquez
    JCC vs. Camacho
    Palomino vs. Benitez
    Cocoa Kid vs. Kid Azteca

http://www.saddoboxing.com/boxingfor...ghlight=Tainos

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Best rivalry in boxing,with another great fight on the way.Loving it!

ICB Guest

Gomez-Zarate, Sanchez-Gomez, Gomez-Pintor, Benitez-Palomino, Chavez-Rosario, Trinidad-Campas, Trinidad-Vargas...

Cotto and Margarito are set to face off in yet another mega fight between two countries rich in boxing tradition and history. Few things get my heart racing as much as a championship fight between Puerto Rican and Mexican fighters. The rivalry is about as intense as they get.

So to my good buddy, El Gamo... LET'S GET READY TO RUMBLE-E-E-E-E-E!!!!!!!!!
    Gomez vs Pintor was one of the most brutal wars i've ever seen the 3rd round was a classic, this itself was like a Rocky film. I remember Gomez was so tired in that fight that one of his corner men had to pick him up and take him back to the corner after the round had finished. As for Margarito vs Cotto, i've been waiting to see this for at least 2 years it will not disappoint and will be up there with the other great P.R. vs Mexico battles.

Thread Information