Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Why the hatred against ODLH?

I have been curious about this for a while now here in the forum. I'll say 95% of the people on this forum utterly hate ODLH. I could understand why people would hate Mayweather, Naz, Mike Tyson, Hopkins, etc. I mean, they have shown to be talk trash about others, have no charisma, unrespectful, etc. Even outside the ring. But, OSCAR?! He is far from being a trash talk, having no charisma, being unrespectful, etc. He is a gentleman and has fought whoever, just look at his resume. He has brought boxing some of the most exciting fights.
    It seems that everything he does is just wrong no matter what. Cotto faced a lesser opponent and everybody was happy. Oscar did the same thing and everybody thought that was the worse thing ever done. Someone can do whatever but if Oscar does the same then it is simply unacceptable. I don't understand.
    Let's say Oscar wins his next last 2 fights. I wonder if people in this forum will admit that he did a good job with no excuse and give him credit.

Why do you hate Oscar?
    Last edited by Chino; 05-05-2008 at 05:43 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Why the hatred against ODLH?

I don't hate Oscar. I voted a decision win for him against Forbes. I wanted him to win against Floyd. He's way past his prime, and I think Cotto would do give him the worst physical beating of his life.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Chino View Post
    I have been curious about this for a while now here in the forum. I'll say 95% of the people on this forum utterly hate ODLH. I could understand why people would hate Mayweather, Naz, Mike Tyson, Hopkins, etc. I mean, they have shown to be talk trash about others, have no charisma, unrespectful, etc. Even outside the ring. But, OSCAR?! He is far from being a trash talk, having no charisma, being unrespectful, etc. He is a gentleman and has fought whoever, just look at his resume. He has brought boxing some of the most exciting fights.
    It seems that everything he does is just wrong no matter what. Cotto faced a lesser opponent and everybody was happy. Oscar did the same thing and everybody thought that was the worse thing ever done. Someone can do whatever but if Oscar does the same then it is simply unacceptable. I don't understand.
    Let's say Oscar wins his next last 2 fights. I wonder if people in this forum will admit that he did a good job with no excuse and give him credit.
    Well, you're right and wrong... Let me explain... I am not a ODLH fan... But I'll explain that later. Let me elude to a few of the issues that people have with him.

Oscar is a good fighter, no doubt, but he has gotten a bunch of gift decisions in his career to carry him when it other wise could have derailed it...

He has become a rich, "white"(please don't take this out of context... It is here for a reason) CEO who as "hungry" as he claims to be is very self important and pretty much a bulshit artist...
    Take a look at the Steve Forbes countdown... He took a sweat and tears gym and turned it into a billboard for goldenboy... He ruined the "rugged" gym that was there and replaced the ring and redid the whole thing... Is that what "going back to your roots" is?

He embarassed a hero trying to get the Mexican population to love him... That backfired

He's a friggin crossdresser...

Geezus, I could go on for a while...

I'll allow you to rubutle if you'd like but the facts remain...

Is ODLH a good fighter? Yes...

Has he made sellout and career decisions that have worked against him even while winning and gaining "fans"

Yes...
    Hidden Content
    "There's nothing special about him." -Sergiy Dzinziruk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by PRIDE OF BOSTON View Post

He's a friggin crossdresser...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think its ridiculous to say that ODLH is way past his prime, sure he fights different than he used, but his is a little slower, but he has better defense. I don't think his power has diminished, I saw him landing left hooks to the body against Forbes similar to the body punches Cotto lands. Cotto has also had a hard time taking out some of his opponents, Paulie, N'Dou... whom a lot of people thought he would stop.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Pacstraightleft,
    Yes, I also voted for his win against Forbes and even though I like Oscar I somehow was expecting him to knock this guy out. So I was a bit dissapointed considering he was a lesser opponent. Someone mentioned that Mayweather wouldn't knock him out as well. Still, the only thing I liked was that he jabbed more (30+ jabs per round) which was something he didn't do against Mayweather and somehow looked ok.
    As for Oscar vs Cotto, after saturday, I see Cotto having a possibility to score a win. Cotto vs Mayweather, I find it hard to see Cotto win.
    Oscar is a good fighter, no doubt, but he has gotten a bunch of gift decisions in his career to carry him when it other wise could have derailed it...
    Gifts as well as the other way around. Trinidad, Mosley II, etc. Somehow don't convince me as LOSSES to Oscar. So if we are going to say he got gift decisions we have to also see the other side of the coin. Many boxers out there have gotten gift decisions but, like I said before, it seems "acceptable" as long as it is not Oscar.
    He has become a rich, "white" (please don't take this out of context... It is here for a reason) CEO who as "hungry" as he claims to be is very self important and pretty much a bulshit artist...
    I can't think of any boxer out there who wouldn't want to do whatever to get bigger paydays. And as for the "white" thing, isn't he Mexican? lol
    Take a look at the Steve Forbes countdown... He took a sweat and tears gym and turned it into a billboard for goldenboy... He ruined the "rugged" gym that was there and replaced the ring and redid the whole thing... Is that what "going back to your roots" is?
    And let's see the positive, HE MADE IT FREE and accessible to the fans. Something I am yet to see from ANY big name out there.
    That's good to hear. Many out there don't even want to admit that saying that he got handpicked opponents, he got lucky, fighters were not on their prime, his resume is mediocre, etc.
    Taeth,
    Not only that but Cotto has been rocked, cut, knocked down, about to have the fight stopped, etc. Against not only well-known fighters but also journeymen.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Taeth View Post
    I think its ridiculous to say that ODLH is way past his prime, sure he fights different than he used, but his is a little slower, but he has better defense. I don't think his power has diminished, I saw him landing left hooks to the body against Forbes similar to the body punches Cotto lands. Cotto has also had a hard time taking out some of his opponents, Paulie, N'Dou... whom a lot of people thought he would stop.

I saw Oscar eating shots he never should have taken from Forbes keeping his hand down...

Lamply talked so much about all the parrying Oscar was doing... Bullshit, Oscar years ago would have slipped them and his deflection of blows from Forbes with his gloves was lack luster at best...

If that were floyd and not stevie Oscar would have taken a beating from Floyd...

I wanted Oscar to win against floyd and want him to win the second fight but if he thinks he can win the way he fought Forbes he's sadly mistaken...

He'll get worked if he walks in with his hand lowered like that letting floyd get off...

His defense did not look as good as you claim... it was ok at best
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Pacstraightleft,
    Yes, I also voted for his win against Forbes and even though I like Oscar I somehow was expecting him to knock this guy out. So I was a bit dissapointed considering he was a lesser opponent. Someone mentioned that Mayweather wouldn't knock him out as well. Still, the only thing I liked was that he jabbed more (30+ jabs per round) which was something he didn't do against Mayweather and somehow looked ok.
    As for Oscar vs Cotto, after saturday, I see Cotto having a possibility to score a win. Cotto vs Mayweather, I find it hard to see Cotto win.
    Gifts as well as the other way around. Trinidad, Mosley II, etc. Somehow don't convince me as LOSSES to Oscar. So if we are going to say he got gift decisions we have to also see the other side of the coin. Many boxers out there have gotten gift decisions but, like I said before, it seems "acceptable" as long as it is not Oscar.
    He has become a rich, "white" (please don't take this out of context... It is here for a reason) CEO who as "hungry" as he claims to be is very self important and pretty much a bulshit artist...
    I can't think of any boxer out there who wouldn't want to do whatever to get bigger paydays. And as for the "white" thing, isn't he Mexican? lol
    And let's see the positive, HE MADE IT FREE and accessible to the fans. Something I am yet to see from ANY big name out there.
    That's good to hear. Many out there don't even want to admit that saying that he got handpicked opponents, he got lucky, fighters were not on their prime, his resume is mediocre, etc.
    Taeth,
    Not only that but Cotto has been rocked, cut, knocked down, about to have the fight stopped, etc. Against not only well-known fighters but also journeymen.

I asked you not to take "White" out of context... The reason I used that word is because that's how the Mexican community see him now... See my point?

I root for Oscar in most of his fights because I most likely don't like who he's fighting...

I don't hate Oscar and he has had many Great fights in his career... I loved the Vargas KO but I don't like him either...

I'm pretty indifferent...

I watch his fights and many times enjoy them... He's not on my favorite fighter list, though.
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Has he made sellout and career decisions that have worked against him even while winning and gaining "fans"

Yes...
    The thing about being a boxing fan, where you're talking boxing everyday on a forum like this is that we all form a sense of tunnel vision.. Sometimes it's hard to see and realize what the general public feels, and we forget that unfortunately, in a sport like boxing where their is not a HUGE fan base whatsoever, the general public has a lot of pull.... and what i mean by that is when there is a "megafight" coming up, the amount of people who aren't "huge" boxing fans like us (the general public) take up the large majority of the PPV buys.. These are the people who have a like for the sport of boxing, but couldn't name 3 lightweights.. i feel that that group of people are the majority of PPV buys, as opposed to us avid fans who are simply just too small of a group to be the MAIN target for the fights..

so, with all that said, ODLH being the face of boxing, being a good looking, well mannered, GREAT fighter, is VERY appealing to the mainstream of society.. And anytime you have a mainstream crowd that bows down to one specific fighter (or with music even.. when everyone LOVED britney spears because she appealed to the mainstream, regardless of the fact that she was a talentless whore).. it's easy to be a critic..

So i think that is where all the hatred comes from.. It's easy to criticize and pick apart someone, and go against the grain..

unfortunately ODLH is a hell of a fighter, with one of the best resume's i've ever seen, so there lies the mixture of haters/fans..

so that's my only problem POB.. you can't blame him for his gift decisions.. in fact he at least owns up to the fact that he wasn't the best in those fights.. the one that comes to mind is the vargas fight.. my problem is that the guy has balls.. he fought the best when he was in his prime, and he's still fighting the best.. regardless of how much money he makes, or how he tries to sell his fights, he still has balls to get in the ring with the best competition.. so i can't hate on the guy..

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Pride,
    Gotta agree with you. I was not expecting Oscar to look the way he did this weekend. His face after the fight showed something else about his defense. He looked cleaner after the Mayweather fight.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

big delahoya fan,right here.

the guys a class act for a capitalist.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

He'll get worked if he walks in with his hand lowered like that letting floyd get off...

His defense did not look as good as you claim... it was ok at best
    I agree with this.. i think Oscar looked deceptive as far as his defense was concerned.. the main thing is that he was WAY more CALM then he was in the PBF fight.. He knew steve couldn't really hurt him so at time he wasn't even trying to block punches he would just stand in there and take a shot or two so that he could land a shot.. unfortunately he can't do that with PBF because A.) floyd hits harder than Forbes and B.) as soon as floyd lands he's out of range in a split second..

So i didn't feel that his "defense" was better, but more that he was more calm and was able to settle down and throw some good punches.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

so, with all that said, ODLH being the face of boxing, being a good looking, well mannered, GREAT fighter, is VERY appealing to the mainstream of society.. And anytime you have a mainstream crowd that bows down to one specific fighter (or with music even.. when everyone LOVED britney spears because she appealed to the mainstream, regardless of the fact that she was a talentless whore).. it's easy to be a critic..
    And many times it's not their fault. It's like when people rooted for the Chicago Bulls just because Michael Jordan played there. You would ask people "So, besides Jordan, who else do you like in the Chicago Bulls?" and they wouldn't be able to answer.
    you can't blame him for his gift decisions...
    Or the questionable losses he also got.
    the guy has balls.. he fought the best when he was in his prime, and he's still fighting the best.. regardless of how much money he makes, or how he tries to sell his fights, he still has balls to get in the ring with the best competition..
    There you go! That is another thing to admire about ODLH.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

And many times it's not their fault. It's like when people rooted for the Chicago Bulls just because Michael Jordan played there. You would ask people "So, besides Jordan, who else do you like in the Chicago Bulls?" and they wouldn't be able to answer.
    you can't blame him for his gift decisions...
    Or the questionable losses he also got.
    the guy has balls.. he fought the best when he was in his prime, and he's still fighting the best.. regardless of how much money he makes, or how he tries to sell his fights, he still has balls to get in the ring with the best competition..
    There you go! That is another thing to admire about ODLH.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by RP33 View Post

Yes...
    The thing about being a boxing fan, where you're talking boxing everyday on a forum like this is that we all form a sense of tunnel vision.. Sometimes it's hard to see and realize what the general public feels, and we forget that unfortunately, in a sport like boxing where their is not a HUGE fan base whatsoever, the general public has a lot of pull.... and what i mean by that is when there is a "megafight" coming up, the amount of people who aren't "huge" boxing fans like us (the general public) take up the large majority of the PPV buys.. These are the people who have a like for the sport of boxing, but couldn't name 3 lightweights.. i feel that that group of people are the majority of PPV buys, as opposed to us avid fans who are simply just too small of a group to be the MAIN target for the fights..

So i think that is where all the hatred comes from.. It's easy to criticize and pick apart someone, and go against the grain..

unfortunately ODLH is a hell of a fighter, with one of the best resume's i've ever seen, so there lies the mixture of haters/fans..

so that's my only problem POB.. you can't blame him for his gift decisions.. in fact he at least owns up to the fact that he wasn't the best in those fights.. the one that comes to mind is the vargas fight.. my problem is that the guy has balls.. he fought the best when he was in his prime, and he's still fighting the best.. regardless of how much money he makes, or how he tries to sell his fights, he still has balls to get in the ring with the best competition.. so i can't hate on the guy..

I entirly agree with your post from start to finish.

I DO think that his mainstream appeal probably has alot to do with it... Maybe it's even a little bit of revile for the people that know only his and Tyson's name... It's really hard to tell, though... But like I said above... For as many things as I can say against him I can say for him... His KO of Mayorga was GREAT... Him standing up to the P4P#1 was ballsy...

Like I said... I enjoy most of his fights but he is not on my favorite fighter list cuz he doesn't embody the atributes I love in my fighters... This is not to say I will not give credit where it's due

I'm not even close to a hater...

And I entirely agree that the decisions are not his fault but I still for some reason(right or wrong) resent him for them...

Just saying how I feel... Everyone else can feel how they want.

... But nice post RP33... I agree
    Hidden Content

Thread Information