Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Somebody bought a little something something with them tonight

Well Berto fought a mediocre opponent, but none the less he displayed patience, composure, Meldrick Taylor- Roy Jones type handspeed..

Oh and he bought himself a new defense with him tonight... beautiful hybrid type phillyshell... I know you guys are gonna call be crazy but I been pushing this kid for a while and singing his praises.. He is as dangerous as Cotto, Margarito,Williams and Mosely He just put the Welters on notice tonight, there is a new sheriff in town and his name is Andre Berto... Get use to Buffer announcing this kids name as winner for a long time

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Somebody bought a little something something with them tonight

I'm sorry JT but he is not near Cotto, Margarito or Williams.

Come on do you think Miki would have lasted that long with Cotto?
    Cotto would blast out Miki in 1.

I like the kid but come on, he still has yet to fight any live opponents.

The bad thing about it I think is that he is in the same place as Sasha where he has gotten himself up the rankings a bit too soon. Now it's time to fight the best OR keep fighting the same type of opposition.

As hard as I try I can't see envision him beating any of the top 3 WW.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I here you Mick, But the handspeed and patience and defense were great.. I mean how would you see Those top 3 dealing with Bertos attributes anyway? I mean I see Cotto swallowing his own tongue after he bites it off from a Berto uppercut, and I'm not saying that because he floored Miki with it but because its a dangerous weapon he has showed consistently again and again.. Berto is a thick and Solid Welter with tremendous foot work and balance, he never is out of position after a punch and hits at every angle with nasty intentions and puts himself back in position... he hits you on the way in the way out etc...

He could have blew that kid out in 3 rounds but he held the horses in the stable and dismantled him systematically and with matureity.. I just feel that with an offensive kitchen like that its a tremendous equalizer and the kid is still evolving thats whats remarkable... I mean do you really not project this kid to be the goods Mick?

And he was defense 1st tonight and thats what made my day, I was afraid he would unload be sloppy and be wreckless to score a ko, he was shoulder rolling textbook and picking off shots, something we havent seen..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Also how can you say not Williams, I'm a Williams fan but his 1st lively opponent was Margarito and he beat him and answered all the questions.. Berto will do the same

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

He's def. got the goods. There is no denying that BUT we gotta look at the opposition he has faced.

You talk about how Cotto would react to Bertos assault but a street runs two ways. How would Berto react to Cottos body assault? How would Berto react to Cottos jab.

Until I see Berto beat a top 10 WW, I really wont be convinced.

Believe me JT I've made that mistake before where I hype up a prospect because he's blowing past opponents without REALLY looking at the big picture. The last fighter I did that with was "Panchito" Bojado and I made a promise that I wouldn't do that again.

Berto still has things to prove for me.
    But that's just me...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by CutMeMick View Post
    He's def. got the goods. There is no denying that BUT we gotta look at the opposition he has faced.

You talk about how Cotto would react to Bertos assault but a street runs two ways. How would Berto react to Cottos body assault? How would Berto react to Cottos jab.

Believe me JT I've made that mistake before where I hype up a prospect because he's blowing past opponents without REALLY looking at the big picture. The last fighter I did that with was "Panchito" Bojado and I made a promise that I wouldn't do that again.

But that's just me...
    I here you..Floyd gave Berto a little gift tonight and its up to him to prove he deserves to keep it...

In your opinion who is the next logical opponent for Berto... I say Williams since he is the only one really with a clear schedule

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by JT Rock View Post

But that's just me...
    I here you..Floyd gave Berto a little gift tonight and its up to him to prove he deserves to keep it...

In your opinion who is the next logical opponent for Berto... I say Williams since he is the only one really with a clear schedule
    For me I would say in this order:

1. The winner of Zab vs. Clottey
    2. Collazo
    3. SSM
    4. Isaac Hlatswayo
    5. Jackson Osei Bonsu
    6. Jesus Soto Karass

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

You infer all this from fighting Miguel Rodriguez JT? That seems a bit odd. I like Berto too but who knows about his defense because of this fight? I mean Rodriguez just was no threat offensively at all. Saying he's as dangerous as Cotto is how the hype gets out of hand.

I'm still not sure how much of his KO's are a result of power and not handspeed. I want to see him with a top 10 welterweight at this point or at least someone who poses a threat without jumping up to far. Going for Mosley would just be a nightmare for Berto imo, I think that's a terrible style match up. Berto actually reminds me a lot of a young Mosley but that's to much to soon imo. I would have to pick even a past best Mosley.

Maybe Paul Williams, that's an interesting one but Collazo, Cintron, Baldomir ect. would be better because despite holding a belt, Berto isn't top tier yet. This division is absolutely stacked, way to stacked to move up before you're ready.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by amat View Post
    You infer all this from fighting Miguel Rodriguez JT? That seems a bit odd. I like Berto too but who knows about his defense because of this fight? I mean Rodriguez just was no threat offensively at all. Saying he's as dangerous as Cotto is how the hype gets out of hand.

I'm still not sure how much of his KO's are a result of power and not handspeed. I want to see him with a top 10 welterweight at this point or at least someone who poses a threat without jumping up to far. Going for Mosley would just be a nightmare for Berto imo, I think that's a terrible style match up. Berto actually reminds me a lot of a young Mosley but that's to much to soon imo. I would have to pick even a past best Mosley.

Maybe Paul Williams, that's an interesting one but Collazo, Cintron, Baldomir ect. would be better because despite holding a belt, Berto isn't top tier yet. This division is absolutely stacked, way to stacked to move up before you're ready.
    How about the winner of Zab-Clottey?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by amat View Post

Nope Amat been open about my support for Berto well over a year and have kept my zeal under check but have made it known... I'm far from a jonny come lately bandwagoner.. I feel good following him since he was a green prospect similiar to Lacy... Berto showed patience which is a virtue lacking in a young speedster with power...

I actually think Mosely would be a great matchup for Berto... I can see Shane get beaten to the punch and out of Machoness trying to retaliate and leaving to many holes for Berto to fill...Mosely can take a shiit load of punishment but I feel like this point in his career he has to slow down...

I guess I am being premature here on handing over the Welterweight division to him, but that kind of skill, speed,power,balance and evolving defense is something special and you cant ignore the 800 lb gorilla in the room you guys cant kid yourself and think that any of the top guys havent taken notice of Berto.... He's coming!!!

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'm sorry JT but he is not near Cotto, Margarito or Williams.

Come on do you think Miki would have lasted that long with Cotto?
    Cotto would blast out Miki in 1.

I like the kid but come on, he still has yet to fight any live opponents.

The bad thing about it I think is that he is in the same place as Sasha where he has gotten himself up the rankings a bit too soon. Now it's time to fight the best OR keep fighting the same type of opposition.

As hard as I try I can't see envision him beating any of the top 3 WW.

But that's just me...
    Its not just you mick.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I dunno I don't find him exciting at all.

Maybe it was the way he got floored by Cosme Riveria and struggled to look good against a guy who Zab blew away in a couple rounds.

I completely went off Joel Julio for the same reason.

Berto, Julio and Joshua Clottey just head the pack of popular fighters who for some reason do absolutely nothing for me whatsoever.

I find it painful to watch any of them fight.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Berto was sharp and accurate last night. But he seems to lack on power department.
    Hidden Content
    Baggins Clan

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'm not sold on Berto yet. He has shown improvement, but DaBully needs to put him in with some better competition.

Until he steps up the level of competition, the jury is still out on him for me.

I guess I'm still bitter about what he did to Juan McPherson, a local boy here, during the 2004 Olympic Trials.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Diane View Post
    I'm not sold on Berto yet. He has shown improvement, but DaBully needs to put him in with some better competition.

Until he steps up the level of competition, the jury is still out on him for me.

I guess I'm still bitter about what he did to Juan McPherson, a local boy here, during the 2004 Olympic Trials.
    The jury is def. still out on him...

Thread Information