2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default "Hopkins to Pavlik: Beware the 'Executioner'

Hopkins to Pavlik: Beware the 'Executioner'

Posted by Joe Maxse October 08, 2008 17:42PM

Bebeto Matthews/AP file photoKelly Pavlik (left) and Bernard Hopkins are both projecting confidence as their Oct. 18 bout in Atlantic City approaches.
    Kelly Pavlik and Bernard Hopkins did not cross lines during separate media conference calls on Thursday. But the fighters did not shy away from taking a few shots while hyping their non-title bout in Atlantic City, N.J., on Oct. 18. "Kelly Pavlik is a perfect opponent for me," proclaimed Hopkins (48-5-1, 32 KOs), who was training in Miami. "He comes forward and he's coming to knock me out early. But he only has one bullet in the chamber. If he thinks he is going to knock me out with a right hand, he is a damn fool."
    The veteran middleweight and light heavyweight champion gave Pavlik his props, but was also quick to point out that at his age, 43, he has all the experience in the world. According to Hopkins, the 26-year-old Pavlik has not met the quality of opponents listed on Hopkins' 20-year ring resume.
    "I respect Kelly Pavlik because he came up through the era in his own way," said Hopkins, who referred to Pavlik's home town as Columbus instead of Youngstown. "I recognize that I have to make it a long punishing fight for him. He's not going to run. But he will fall into the hands of the 'Executioner.'"

Pavlik (34-0, 30 KOs) will not have his WBC/WBO middleweight titles at stake, as this one has been set for the catch weight of 170 pounds. Going 10 pounds over the middleweight limit will not be a problem according to Pavlik, and neither will any below-the-belt tactics from the older fighter.
    "I'm not going to give him a chance to get a hold on me," said Pavlik, finishing camp in Youngstown. "He's never fought a guy with my size and strength. If he tries to start roughhousing, it goes both ways."
    Pavlik said he has not been slowed by an injured left elbow. Hurt while sparring a month ago, he said the elbow is not an issue.
    "It was a little bruise," he said. "Nothing a little ice didn't fix."
    Hopkins, who lost his first professional bout in Atlantic City Oct. 11, 1988, admitted this could be his last ring appearance.
    "I'm not putting the cart in front of the horse," said Hopkins. "People are going to see an expert at his craft. Enjoy me while I'm here. I'm going to enjoy Oct. 18. Bernard Hopkins will show he is one of the greats."
    Hidden Content

Welcome to the 21st Century. No Sex, Drug and Rock'n'Roll. All we have nowadays is AIDS, Meth and Crap Music Hidden Content

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: "Hopkins to Pavlik: Beware the 'Executioner'

"I will never lose to a whiteboy.......again."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by No Contest View Post
    In my opinion he hasnt.
    Hidden Content There is no reward for second place

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

As much as I hate his style, Hopkins is a legend. Getting in the ring with Pavlik is brave and he has a change going by the Calzaghe fight. The guy has always faced the best fighters available to him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by purtyboy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by No Contest View Post
    In my opinion he hasnt.
    agree, but he could very well lose to one for real on the 18th

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Smile Re: "Hopkins to Pavlik: Beware the 'Executioner'

Quote Originally Posted by hackey View Post
    As much as I hate his style, Hopkins is a legend. Getting in the ring with Pavlik is brave and he has a change going by the Calzaghe fight. The guy has always faced the best fighters available to him.
    Hopkins is a legend no doubt about that, but at 43 years young how much as he got left he will probly fiddle his way, through another fight,as he did against Calzaghi, Pavlik may just be there at the right time, i think its a good 50-50 fight,

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Anyone not giving B-Hop good odds in this is just foolish. Pavlik is the type of fighter B-Hop can exploit. He is pretty predictable sometimes. I don't think he can really hurt Pavlik too bad though. Pavlik's workrate will pull him through just like Calzaghe. B-Hop is going to make Pavlik pay every time he throws that right....he kind of brings it back slow and low. Pavlik will need to mix up more punches for sure. I think Kelly is gonna win a clear points victory though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yes this will be the second white boy to beat him. In my opinion.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Pff Calzaghe didn't beat him, and Pavlik has a lot more on his plate then 90% of this forum thinks he does. This is a nightmare matchup for Pavlik, and you will see why on the 18th, He might still win, but this is the worst fight a limited mover like Kelly could take.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Funny that people 'swear' calzaghe lost, i coulda sworn that i saw calzaghe win a split decission. Also the boxrec records say that calzaghe won a split decission aswell.

They also say he has won 45, lost 0 and drawn 0 aswell

Hmmm, maybe im imagining that boxrec is saying that and imagining that calzaghe wasnt awarded a split decission?

As for this fight, i think hopkins will be trouble for pavlik as hes extremely experienced, but i cant see him hurting pavlik. I can only see pavlik keep going via persistance and either win a points decission or a very late stoppage.

If hopkins stamina goes in this fight like it did in the calzaghe fight where he looked like he wasnt gonna last much longer in the ring because he could barely stand, having to pretend he was hit with low blows that hurt him so that he could rest and recupperate whilst trying to take in as much oxygen as possible (gasping for air for the full 5 minutes of rest period)...then how the hell is he gonna stay on his feet with pavlik for the last few rounds?

The only chance bhop has is if he uses his tricks and makes it another boring fight to watch by constant clinching and manages to frustrate pavlik (which he can do).

Bhop shouldnt be called the 'executioner', he should be called the 'frustrater'

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by LondonBB View Post
    Funny that people 'swear' calzaghe lost, i coulda sworn that i saw calzaghe win a split decission. Also the boxrec records say that calzaghe won a split decission aswell.

They also say he has won 45, lost 0 and drawn 0 aswell

Hmmm, maybe im imagining that boxrec is saying that and imagining that calzaghe wasnt awarded a split decission?

As for this fight, i think hopkins will be trouble for pavlik as hes extremely experienced, but i cant see him hurting pavlik. I can only see pavlik keep going via persistance and either win a points decission or a very late stoppage.

If hopkins stamina goes in this fight like it did in the calzaghe fight where he looked like he wasnt gonna last much longer in the ring because he could barely stand, having to pretend he was hit with low blows that hurt him so that he could rest and recupperate whilst trying to take in as much oxygen as possible (gasping for air for the full 5 minutes of rest period)...then how the hell is he gonna stay on his feet with pavlik for the last few rounds?

The only chance bhop has is if he uses his tricks and makes it another boring fight to watch by constant clinching and manages to frustrate pavlik (which he can do).

Bhop shouldnt be called the 'executioner', he should be called the 'frustrater'
    shut up lil scott stiener

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hopkins goes 1-1 with elite white boys. Well Pavlik is very good not quite elite yet.

Pavlik too limited in what he does, too ploddy and has zero variation jab jab straight right hand.

Hopkins to scupper my dreams of Calzaghe obliterating him by taking a clear up, by 3rds.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Taeth View Post
    Pff Calzaghe didn't beat him, and Pavlik has a lot more on his plate then 90% of this forum thinks he does. This is a nightmare matchup for Pavlik, and you will see why on the 18th, He might still win, but this is the worst fight a limited mover like Kelly could take.

Calzaghe clearly won that fight.

How can you score it for a guy that didnt want to fight and act like a girl?

115-112 Calzaghe maybe wider.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Markusdarkus View Post

then how the hell can u score it for a guy that fights like a girl.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by kingfrnk View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Markusdarkus View Post

then how the hell can u score it for a guy that fights like a girl.

Been drinking much?

Thread Information