Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Cotto Vs Clottey

Although no deal is signed, Miguel Cotto's June 13 fight at Madison Square Garden on the eve of New York's annual Puerto Rican Day parade probably will be a welterweight unification bout with New York's Joshua Clottey, Top Rank's Bob Arum, who promotes both fighters, told ESPN.com. "It'll be Clottey," he said. "It's the logical fight to do. Clottey wants the fight very badly and Miguel says fine. We still have come to terms with both fighters, but we'll get it done." Arum said. He's negotiating with HBO, and although they're apart on money, Arum said he thought it would work out. HBO, he said, was not interested in Cotto-Kermit Cintron, and titleholder Andre Berto was also out of the running. Arum said he also offered Cotto's next fight to Showtime, but it was "more concentrating on trying to do [Kelly] Pavlik's next fight."

got this from Espn.com

what do you guys think?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Cotto Vs Clottey

Sounds good to me!!!!

Cotto definitely goes after the big fights......Clottey is a tough SOB but I see Cotto pulling out a decision, but a pretty close one.

One problem I see for Cotto is his stamina, Clottey will be coming at him all day.......I wouldnt be shocked if Clottey wore him down....

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter View Post
    Sounds good to me!!!!

Cotto definitely goes after the big fights......Clottey is a tough SOB but I see Cotto pulling out a decision, but a pretty close one.

One problem I see for Cotto is his stamina, Clottey will be coming at him all day.......I wouldnt be shocked if Clottey wore him down....
    he's one of the rare few fighters that says he'll take on ANYONE, and actually means it, i think that he can ware down Clottey with the body shots, and keep it at a good pace with his hard stiff jab

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ElTerribleMorales View Post
    Sounds good to me!!!!

he's one of the rare few fighters that says he'll take on ANYONE, and actually means it, i think that he can ware down Clottey with the body shots, and keep it at a good pace with his hard stiff jab
    Clottey is a big natural welter who could probably do middleweight, he has a good jab and the one of the tightest defenses around

Clottey will not take a backward step, and unlike Cotto didnt get broken down by Margarito... Clottey is extremely underrated like Winky Wright was early in his career... I always thought Clottey could beat Cotto and still do... Cotto can not and will not wear down Clottey and he'll pay a heavy price while trying to do so

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ElTerribleMorales View Post
    Sounds good to me!!!!

True, he means it when he says it. He gave Margarito all he wanted!

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I don't see Clottey wearing Cotto down, if he beats him he just beats him, but I don't see him wearing Cotto down cause he fights at such a slow pace.

If anybody's got stamina issues here its probably Clottey.

Cotto by decision. Clottey won't ever get over the hump against an elite fighter IMO.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Depends on how Cotto copes with a bigger higher quality opponent after the Margarito fight. I suspect that he will be ok, but if he's anything other than completely mentally sorted than he could be in trouble.

Awo Joshua Clottey!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If this fight does happen and Cotto fight's his fight and not what he did against Margarito and try boxing him. Cotto should just get inside and riproar to the body you'll see Clottey start to stagger in around eight or nine rounds on to a stoppage in the championship rounds. That isn't to say that he wouldn't get some damage back. But he does have one thing for him he is short and Clottey knows one way forward so Cotto don't really have to go after him just sit back and bang the body early. Then mid-drift go up top ands walk him down.

I think Clottey is given alot of credit on these boards and I really haven't seen anything great about him. A decent fighter with a good jaw and a good punch. He might be underrated by the media but who has he really fought besides Margarito. Both Corrales and Judah were blown up welter's. Also I believe he lost to Baldomir.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by OumaFan View Post
    I don't see Clottey wearing Cotto down, if he beats him he just beats him, but I don't see him wearing Cotto down cause he fights at such a slow pace.

If anybody's got stamina issues here its probably Clottey.

Cotto by decision. Clottey won't ever get over the hump against an elite fighter IMO.
    They said Winky wouldnt either

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Not me

Winky's a lot more consistent fighter than Clottey ever has been.

Anyway, I could be wrong, we will see, it won't break my heart if Clottey breaks through. I admit Clottey bores the shit out of me but I don't think that colors my opinion of his skills, he's good but not great IMO.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Wait, hold the fuck up? WTF happened to Cotto/Mosley II?? I will hate Bob Arum even more than I already do if he don't even try to make that fight

XaduBoxer Guest

Quote Originally Posted by JazMerkin View Post
    Wait, hold the fuck up? WTF happened to Cotto/Mosley II?? I will hate Bob Arum even more than I already do if he don't even try to make that fight
    Blame Mosley... He doesn't want to fight in New York... He wants it in Vegas or LA...

Re Cotto-Clottey, I'm leaning towards a Clottey victory...

Thread Information