Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Amir Kahn Opinions & Who Should Be Up Next?

Share/Bookmark

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Amir Kahn Opinions & Who Should Be Up Next?

I'm going to be unpopular with this, but a rematch with Barrera. If Barrera is to lose he should lose properly.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Prescott for sweet redemption.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by miles View Post
    I'm going to be unpopular with this, but a rematch with Barrera. If Barrera is to lose he should lose properly.
    I think a rematch makes sense, it would sell well too. Barrera deserves a rematch

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Kel View Post
    I think a rematch makes sense, it would sell well too. Barrera deserves a rematch
    Headbutt first round, fighting with one eye for several rounds. It should have been a NC. Khan was slick but didn't beat Barrera here, Khan hasn't silenced anyone with this.

Barrera deserves another chance, if he wants it that is.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Khan is not ready for JMM. Juan Diaz would be perfect for him right at the moment. He's got a bad chin, and Diaz is not exactly a KO artist.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Cant really say who he should fight next but i damm sure know they need to keep him away from atleast for another 4-5 fights: -

JMM
    Casamayor
    Juan Diaz
    Pac
    Or the rest of the elite bunch

Maybe go after a fringe fighter like Kats or romanov etc, but please keep our boy away from the elistes just yet. |Dont ruin his career.

He beat an old barrera, yes i know was sitll an impressive victory but remember the top guys can cope with speed and will catch him sooner or later.
    THE SKY IS THE LIMIT NOT THE LIMIT IS THE SKY

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Headbutt first round, fighting with one eye for several rounds. It should have been a NC. Khan was slick but didn't beat Barrera here, Khan hasn't silenced anyone with this.

Just out of interest, if Khan had been cut in the opener, fought on and lost every round in exactly the same manner Barrera did would you be saying that Barrera didn't beat Khan and that he needed to rematch him to prove himself?

Would you be saying Barrera did nothing, or would you be marvelling at how much faster he was than Khan, how Khan couldn't land anything or even get off his own punches? How Barrera totally and completely outboxed him with 5 rounds?

Be honest here.........

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Bilbo View Post

Just out of interest, if Khan had been cut in the opener, fought on and lost every round in exactly the same manner Barrera did would you be saying that Barrera didn't beat Khan and that he needed to rematch him to prove himself?

Would you be saying Barrera did nothing, or would you be marvelling at how much faster he was than Khan, how Khan couldn't land anything or even get off his own punches? How Barrera totally and completely outboxed him with 5 rounds?

Be honest here.........
    The rules are the rules and if a cut is caused by a headbutt then after four it should be a NC. This was a huge gash and there is no way Barrera could have got through 12. The same rules would apply to Khan. Of course, they would. If it was either fighter it should have ended sooner than that.

I understand where you are coming from in what you are saying, but rules should apply fairly to all. So, if Khan was nutted and then outboxed because of poor vision and then the fight stopped. Well, its just the way it goes. I would accept it, it would be annoying, but there you go.

Nobody wants the fight to be stoppedlike this was. I would have been content to see Barrera go out on his shield at least knowing he gave everything. If there was no cut and Khan won convincingly I would have no choice but to say well done. But this result has left a sour taste occuring the way it did.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Be honest here.........
    The rules are the rules and if a cut is caused by a headbutt then after four it should be a NC. This was a huge gash and there is no way Barrera could have got through 12. The same rules would apply to Khan. Of course, they would. If it was either fighter it should have ended sooner than that.

I understand where you are coming from in what you are saying, but rules should apply fairly to all. So, if Khan was nutted and then outboxed because of poor vision and then the fight stopped. Well, its just the way it goes. I would accept it, it would be annoying, but there you go.

Nobody wants the fight to be stoppedlike this was. I would have been content to see Barrera go out on his shield at least knowing he gave everything. If there was no cut and Khan won convincingly I would have no choice but to say well done. But this result has left a sour taste occuring the way it did.
    But that's not the rules. The rules state if the fight is stopped due to accidental contest BEFORE 4 rounds then its a No Contest, but after 4 rounds it goes to the judges, exactly as it happened.

Barrera is incredibly experienced with over 70 fights, and presumably has a world class team around him. If they failed to pull him out before the 4 rounds had been completed then shame on THEM not Khan.

Many fighters have been cut badly in fights, gone on and fought back or at least taken it to their opponent.

My feeling is Barrera fought on becuase he believed he was better than Khan and could get to him and win those early rounds and get a decision on a technical stoppage later in the fight. Bu unfortunately for him ended up being completely outboxed, unable to get anything off and so lost every round on the judges scoredcard.

That was his and his teams choice, they took the gamble and it didn't pay off.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Be honest here.........

But that's not the rules. The rules state if the fight is stopped due to accidental contest BEFORE 4 rounds then its a No Contest, but after 4 rounds it goes to the judges, exactly as it happened.

Barrera is incredibly experienced with over 70 fights, and presumably has a world class team around him. If they failed to pull him out before the 4 rounds had been completed then shame on THEM not Khan.

Many fighters have been cut badly in fights, gone on and fought back or at least taken it to their opponent.

My feeling is Barrera fought on becuase he believed he was better than Khan and could get to him and win those early rounds and get a decision on a technical stoppage later in the fight. Bu unfortunately for him ended up being completely outboxed, unable to get anything off and so lost every round on the judges scoredcard.

That was his and his teams choice, they took the gamble and it didn't pay off.
    Yes, I didn't express myself very well. You are correct. It is before the end of the fourth. Barrera's team presumably know the rules so I see your point, blame should be accorded to them. It all happened so quickly, you just don't expect a head to be slashed open in the first couple of minutes. And I cannot imagine what it would have been like there if it had been called a NC after a round. Doesn't bear thinking about. Yes, what's happened has happened and I just needed some time to chill after it all.

Just a frustrating fight for me. I need to watch it again properly and make a clearer judgment on a proper screen.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Katsidis !

Mentioned
    159 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think Khan will want to avenge the Prescott loss , and thats the fight i want to see.
    Remember reality is an illusion caused by a lack of alcohol .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Now that Freddie Roach has addressed Khan's defensive flaws, and coached him to box more intelligently, I see no reason why he shouldn't go straight for JMM if the opportunity arises.
    It will definitely be a steep challenge for him, but that's what it should be about. I think there is too much emphasis upon the fear of defeat in boxing. Almost all the greats were beaten at some stage of their career...some more than once. Calzaghe was a rare specimen, and as many are keen to point out, he was protected for too long.
    The Prescott defeat could turn out to be a real blessing. Firstly, it forced Khan to re-consider his rash, gung-ho approach to fighting, and get back to what took him so far in his amateur days. Secondly, it removed the "0" from his record. He no longer has it to protect (and more crucially, nor does Frank Warren).
    So, while Prescott would seem an obvious step along the way (I believe that the re-styled Khan would win easily), I would much rather see a big gamble and a fight with Marquez. Lose to Marquez, fair enough. Lose to Prescott again...and it would look much worse.
    As for last night, credit to Barrera for fighting on. He knew he could take a NC, but chose to fight on. I wonder if the Doc whispered in his ear "Finish the round if you want your pay cheque". Cut or no cut, he was out-gunned.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Napolis View Post
    Now that Freddie Roach has addressed Khan's defensive flaws, and coached him to box more intelligently, I see no reason why he shouldn't go straight for JMM if the opportunity arises.
    It will definitely be a steep challenge for him, but that's what it should be about. I think there is too much emphasis upon the fear of defeat in boxing. Almost all the greats were beaten at some stage of their career...some more than once. Calzaghe was a rare specimen, and as many are keen to point out, he was protected for too long.
    The Prescott defeat could turn out to be a real blessing. Firstly, it forced Khan to re-consider his rash, gung-ho approach to fighting, and get back to what took him so far in his amateur days. Secondly, it removed the "0" from his record. He no longer has it to protect (and more crucially, nor does Frank Warren).
    So, while Prescott would seem an obvious step along the way (I believe that the re-styled Khan would win easily), I would much rather see a big gamble and a fight with Marquez. Lose to Marquez, fair enough. Lose to Prescott again...and it would look much worse.
    As for last night, credit to Barrera for fighting on. He knew he could take a NC, but chose to fight on. I wonder if the Doc whispered in his ear "Finish the round if you want your pay cheque". Cut or no cut, he was out-gunned.
    lol. I would love to see that 1 round fight.

Marquez looked outgunned for a couple of rounds and clawed his way back and ko'd the younger/stronger/faster guy.

The cut changed everything. Barrera was never hurt.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Howlin Mad Missy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Napolis View Post
    lol. I would love to see that 1 round fight.

Marquez looked outgunned for a couple of rounds and clawed his way back and ko'd the younger/stronger/faster guy.

The cut changed everything. Barrera was never hurt.
    I agree totally, I'm sure Khan could box to a decision, but Marco would have had his moments later on, he was bothered less than JMM was in the earlier rounds by JD. Barrera clearly isn't as quick as he used to be, but he didn't turn up to just roll over for a payday.

Thread Information