Based on circumstances that is. Before anyone jumps on me, I scored it 9 rounds out of 12 for Sweet pea. I'm just saying based on circumstances he was suppose to lose.

I just finished watching the fight again and reading about many things about that fight. And I was amazed that he came out with a draw when everything was set up for him to lose.

Many points on here to consider for that fight.

1. Sweet Pea was weight drain for the fight and fighting at a catch weight to defend his WBC welterweight title. I never knew this fight was at a catch weight and that Sweet Pea was never allowed to go past 145 to defend his welterweight title. Hence he wasn't at his best.

2. He was a 2-1 underdog and many people were thinking that Chavez would beat up on him like he did to Meldrick Taylor. And remember Chavez was considered to be invincible at this time coming into the fight undefeated at 87-0 with 75 KOs.

3. The ref was Joe Cortez. Sweet Pea in the fight was warned 2x for low blows (for retaliation) when Chavez was allowed to punch him in the crotch and on the thighs to diminish his mobility.

4. The fight was in San Antonio, Texas. He was in Chavez turf with an hostile crowd that wanted him to get beat up bad. Everyone in the crowd was screaming for Chavez to kill him in the fight.

5. Jose Sulaiman was there. The president of the WBC and a good friend of Don King and Chavez.

6. 1 of the 3 judges had Whittaker losing going into the 10th round, the other 2 had it dead even.

So with all of this going against Whittaker, it's amazing that he managed a draw. Just think if Cortez had penalized Whittaker for retaliating for the low blow, Whittaker loses by a majority decision, maybe by an Unanimous decision. It's still amazing he comes out with a draw, considering he was suppose to lose with everything going against him.