Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: If Marquez wins, is it the biggest victory ever by a Mexican fighter?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default If Marquez wins, is it the biggest victory ever by a Mexican fighter?

Lots of great Mexican fighters over the years. Sanchez, Chavez, Lopez, Morales, Barrera, etc.

But has any Mexican fighter ever beaten a fighter of Mayweather's caliber? I say no. Chavez failed in his chance against Whitaker. Sanchez beat Azumah Nelson, but at a time when Nelson was very young and unknown. Morales beat Pacquiao, but at a time when Pacquiao wasn't considered an all-time great like he is now.

So, would it be the biggest win ever by a Mexican fighter?

Discuss.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: If Marquez wins, is it the biggest victory ever by a Mexican fighter?

No.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: If Marquez wins, is it the biggest victory ever by a Mexican fighter?

It's hard to argue against Chavez/Taylor and the fact that Mayweather is off a 2 year layoff would be used almost immediately to discredit Marquez' win. But if you look at what this would mean that he went 24 even with Pacquiao and then beat Mayweather, yeah that would be a pretty big deal and I would go with Yes, it's the biggest win.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I would say YES... beating an undefeated 39-0 6 different weight division champ who has beaten legends. Rated p4p 1 by most even though he has not fought in almost 2 years. Then beating him when you are coming up in weight and a huge underdog. After being on a national televised series.. I would say hell yeah.. huge accomplishment for any race lol
    Hidden Content There is no reward for second place

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

no.

And salvador sanchez biggest victory wasn't against Nelson but Gomez.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

To the people saying no, im curious to know why? Very few if any boxers have accomplish what mayweather has

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Salvador over Gomez would be or
    Chavez over Meldick Taylor although i must admit dat stoppage was a bit questionable.
    Lifes a wheel of fortune and its my turn to spin it. -Tupac Shakur

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Manuel "Chubby" Medina View Post
    Salvador over Gomez would be or
    Chavez over Meldick Taylor although i must admit dat stoppage was a bit questionable.
    Gomez was a great fighter but a one division champion coming up in weight to fight the champion. How that is more impressive then a champion coming up to take on a 6 divison champion rated p4p 1 .. is beyond me.. oh and Taylor was a classic fight the way things turned out but more defining then a mayweather win? i think not

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think the Gomez win is definitely his career defining win because it was a much bigger fight then the Nelson win. It was Mexico vs Puerto Rico, Sanchez was incredibly young and it was without doubt the most pressure he ever faced in his career. While Nelson is definitely a great fighter it wasn't quite expected that he would put on that type of performance, it was his first time challenging for a title and he still had his whole career in front of him.

Still, Chavez-Taylor is like lore every single Mexican knows about that fight.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by purtyboy View Post
    To the people saying no, im curious to know why? Very few if any boxers have accomplish what mayweather has
    Cuz Marquez is a great fighter himself. Him beating anybody shouldn't be a shock.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Violent Demise View Post
    Cuz Marquez is a great fighter himself. Him beating anybody shouldn't be a shock.
    That's true VD Marquez is a great fighter but with the way the odds are stacked against him in this fight, I would think it would be shocking if he could win. He just fought for the first time last year at 135 and now he's jumping almost 10 pounds north of that. And when he jumps up in weight he won't be fighting De La Hoya (though that fight would be awesome) or Hatton he'll be fighting Mayweather. It would be hard to believe that he didn't have anything left.

Marquez is awesome but I think the circumstances aren't right for this one but I hope he gets loot and then is able pick fights on his terms for the rest of his career.

I would rank it (

1. Mayweather-Marquez
    2. Chavez-Taylor
    3. Sanchez-Gomez
    4. Barrera-Hamed
    5. Chavez Jr.-Vanda

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If he wins I think it should be regarded as a very, very significant win, perhaps the biggest win by a Mexican. Mayweather is unbeaten and Marquez is climbing two weight divisions to try and pull this off. The odds really are all against him and here he is his going for it with abandon.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Possibly yeah. No other Mexican has beaten anybody this highly ranked. I would say though that Barrera beat undefeated superstars at their best like Morales and Naseem whereas Marquez would be getting Floyd after a 2 year retirement. Long term it may hurt his legacy if people start saying it wasnt a prime Floyd and he came back for the wrong reasons.

Still a massive win.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by amat View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Violent Demise View Post
    That's true VD Marquez is a great fighter but with the way the odds are stacked against him in this fight, I would think it would be shocking if he could win. He just fought for the first time last year at 135 and now he's jumping almost 10 pounds north of that. And when he jumps up in weight he won't be fighting De La Hoya (though that fight would be awesome) or Hatton he'll be fighting Mayweather. It would be hard to believe that he didn't have anything left.

Marquez is awesome but I think the circumstances aren't right for this one but I hope he gets loot and then is able pick fights on his terms for the rest of his career.

I would rank it (

1. Mayweather-Marquez
    2. Chavez-Taylor
    3. Sanchez-Gomez
    4. Barrera-Hamed
    5. Chavez Jr.-Vanda

That is exactly what i am saying.. he is coming up in weight fighting the fighter that should be rank 1 p4p. No one has been able to beat mayweather now just imagine a guy coming up in weight and doing that.. that would be the best win in mexican history... like i said before salvador, gomez was a great rivalry war but remember the challenger came up in weight to fight the mexican champion so he already had an advantage.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

No. Not in my eyes.

I think fights like (see below) are both more meaningful. I'm not a Mexican or even a Mexican-American, but it's just how I see it.

De La Hoya TKO11 Vargas
    &
    De La Hoya TKO4 Chavez

Thread Information