By Jhonny Gonzalez

According to several reports in the Mexican press, Erik Morales (46-6, 34 KOs) has announced that he will defend his international WBC welterweight title against Willie Limond (33-2, 8KOs) on September 11 in Mexico City or Tijuana. Morales says he will be focused to put on a very strong performance for Mexican Independence Day.

Morales returned to boxing in March after being retired for several years. He won a decision over Jose Alfaro and wants to take tougher fights to get himself in line for a world title opportunity. Limond is the WBU champion at lightweight. Morales said they reached an agreement for a catch-weight below the welterweight limit.

"I don't want to face easy opponents. Limond has only two defeats in world championship bouts, and one of them was against Amir Khan," Morales said. "I want my opponent to make me showcase if I'm ready to fight for a world title. In the fight against Limond, my title will be at stake, but the fight was agreed to at a weight less than this division."

Morales also denied published reports that he would fighting Paul Spadafora.

"I am surprised that Paul Spadafora's people had said that he could be my opponent because there is nothing to that," Morales said.

Bit off an odd fight Limond has been very active, suppose he has decent skills and will give a totally shot Morales a good work out.