Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Why Floyd truly is an all time great

I was thinking this recently, we have seen so many 'great' fighters exposed. Devon Alexander's stock has fallen so far this weekend that some even think Amir Khan could beat him, Anderson Silva the world's greatest mixed martial artist was dominated for 4 rounds by a guy with a 28-10 record, Fedor was choked out and arm barred inside a couple minutes.

Yet Floyd never has a bad night. He's never lost a fight, never been knocked down or really troubled. Castillo aside on his worst ever night, nobody has got close to beating him.

I can't think of a single fighter in history who has fought the same level of competition he has and done as well.

In a funny way I watched Anderson Silva this weekend and then Devon Alexander, and thought to myself Floyd really is the shit...

ICB Guest

Default Re: Why Floyd truly is an all time great

Quote Originally Posted by Bilbo View Post
    I was thinking this recently, we have seen so many 'great' fighters exposed. Devon Alexander's stock has fallen so far this weekend that some even think Amir Khan could beat him, Anderson Silva the world's greatest mixed martial artist was dominated for 4 rounds by a guy with a 28-10 record, Fedor was choked out and arm barred inside a couple minutes.

Yet Floyd never has a bad night. He's never lost a fight, never been knocked down or really troubled. Castillo aside on his worst ever night, nobody has got close to beating him.

I can't think of a single fighter in history who has fought the same level of competition he has and done as well.

In a funny way I watched Anderson Silva this weekend and then Devon Alexander, and thought to myself Floyd really is the shit...
    Pernell Whitaker dominated better fighters and made it look easy, he only started to struggle when he started taking drugs and he got old. He dominated great fighters like Azumah Nelson, Julio Cesar Chavez, pretty easy.

But yes i agree Floyd Mayweather Jr is the man, one of my favorite modern fighters he really is great to watch. Despite other people calling him "boring" i don't see it that way.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I don't know about that Mosley did have him on his way down in the second and then Mosley just mysteriously grabbed on to him and wrestled him for the rest of the round for some reason

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I've been watching some old fights today, one of them was this:

Floyd used to be quite aggressive and stand there trading, he has glimpses of the Floyd today, the stance is coming along and the speed and accuracy is already there. He also looks bigger then than now, seemed to be much stockier then, which is odd as that was probably a lightweight fight.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by The Fightfan View Post

I don't know about that Mosley did have him on his way down in the second and then Mosley just mysteriously grabbed on to him and wrestled him for the rest of the round for some reason
    Mosley didn't grab on shit, Mayweather stepped back and started countering Mosley with repeated right hands, even stunning him, Floyd recovered and took over the second half of the round, nothing fishy about it

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Skill-wise there is no question that he is one of the greatest of all time. He's dominated virtually all of his big-name opponents. However, there are always going to be lingering questions about his resume and his choice of opposition, especially if he doesn't fight Pacquiao (regardless of the reasons behind it not happening).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I despise Floyd Mayweather's persona and his delays fighting Pac but you have no choice but to acknowledge he is simply a superior tactician. The guy is like liquid in the ring.

He trains like a madman, he stays in fighting shape 7 days a week, and virtually steamrolls every opponent.

If the size and time differences weren't so glaring I think the fantasy fight I'd like to see most, prime vs prime, would be a young and spry James Toney and Floyd.

It'd be a beautiful thing I think. A chess match on the highest level.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

there is no doubt that mayweather jr. is an all-time great! his record speaks for itself. and i cannot stand those detractors who say he's never beaten anybody. look at his record and you will see his resume is top notch.

the fact that he's dominated all his opponents with the exception of the two castillo fights is truly remarkable. no active fighter today can make that claim!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Floyd is great ...manny is great. That's why that fight is so big.
    Hidden Content Click clack ! Give up the purse.........or yetti will find you.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I don't dispute Floyd has greatness, but try taking another look at his fight with Dela Hoya. Mosley already past his prime was able to hurt him. Think what damage he would have gotten from a prime Mosley who would run out of gas in the second round.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Floyd is especially selective of his opposition. Not that he wouldnt have beaten them but if Floyd had an off night and these guys had the night of there life he would have lost.

Hatton - Floyd didnt fight Hatton when he stopped at 140

Cotto/Margarito - Floyd didnt fight these guys when Cotto was unbeaten and Margarito was supposedly a monster.

This is part of the reason he gets no respect and maybe why he is unbeaten, at 140 and above he hasnt fought anyone unless they have shown some vulnerability.

Floyd will wait til Pac loses or is taken to the brink and than will fight him. Thats Floyd's MO.
    PETA = People Eating Tasty Animals
    The only Acceptable Gun Control Law: Always use two hands when firing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

how anybody can say with a straight face that mayweather jr.'s opponents have been weak is beyond me. it's not who he beat and when, it's how he beat them! like i said earlier, the only fighter who ever gave him massive fits is jose luis castillo and to some extent, zab judah, early on. his resume is impressive anyway you want to spin it:

genaro hernandez, 38-1-1 - HOFer and he just toyed with him!
    angel manfredy, 25-2-1 - still a very good, tough fighter and won easily.
    justin juuko, 33-2-1,
    "goyo" vargas, 40-6-1
    diego corrales, 33-0, destroyed corrales to unify titles.
    carlos hernandez, 33-2-1 - as you can see, hernandez was still in his prime.
    jesus chavez, 35-1 - ditto
    jose luis castillo, 45-4-1/46-5-1 - two very hotly contested fights which mayweather managed to pull off.
    victoriano sosa, 35-2-2 - good solid opponent in his prime.
    philip n'dou, 31-1 - ditto
    demarcus corley, 28-2-1 - ditto
    arturo gatti, 39-6 - expected to win but not in the way he did it. absolutely awesome display!
    sharmba mitchell, 56-4 - veteran was still dangerous.
    zab judah, 34-3 - zab when still in his prime.
    carlos baldomir, 43-9-6 - linear welterweight champion and toyed with him.
    oscar de la hoya, 38-4 - beat de la hoya for jr. middleweight title. won easier than SD scores!
    ricky hatton, 43-0 - took hatton's "0" and his heart away!
    juan manuel marquez, 50-4-1 - expected to win but not that easy. masterful display after coming back from retirement.
    shane mosley, 46-5 - got into trouble early on but regrouped and cruised the rest of the way.

anyone who thinks this isn't impressive is just a mayweather jr. hater. the man can box and he is truly the most accomplished fighter on the planet today.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Mayweather has arguably the best resume in the sport only pacmans compares as he also has an awesome resume. Floyd is pretty much the man! he has a lot of haters because he's the man and he's cocky and arrogant with it.

Pac is also the man these guys should really sign up to punch one another in the face.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by fan johnny View Post

I don't dispute Floyd has greatness, but try taking another look at his fight with Dela Hoya. Mosley already past his prime was able to hurt him. Think what damage he would have gotten from a prime Mosley who would run out of gas in the second round.
    Mayweather has hardly been an active fighter though has he?

Besides, what Mosley did to Margarito was just about as impressive as anything else he's done his career. Granted, Margarito aint no De La Hoya, but it was the manner in which he destroyed Margarito that has to make it one of his best performances of his career. Besides, he was probably floating around the top 5 on most people's p4p lists.

I think if this fight happened a few years ago i think Floyd is more aggressive and puts the beat down.
    http://instagram.com/jonnyboy_85_/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Floyd is an all time great, but at what weight class?

147 prime v prime he loses to mosley and oscar..
    135 again to mosley, but then losing doesn't disqualify him.

I also think RJJ dominated his competition far better than anyone in history that includes floyd....
    "Sixty forty I kicks yo' ass, Sixty forty I tears yo' ass up" - Roy Jones

Thread Information