Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: How good was James "Bone crusher" Smith ?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default How good was James "Bone crusher" Smith ?

I remember seeing his boring fight with Tyson in which he went the distance but held a lot through out the fight.

I looked up his record on boxrec and he wasn't too bad. I mean I knew he held a version of the HW title but he had good stoppage wins over Frank Bruno and a KO 1 over Tim Witherspoon.

"You knocked him down...now how bout you try knockin me down ?"

Mentioned
    1683 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: How good was James "Bone crusher" Smith ?

James was lucky, think he started late in the game and was well educated. He had a big punch which helped him out against Bruno because he was losing every round before the brutal KO. Against Witherspoon, he stormed him and Tim said he did not care as he was tied in with King.

James stunk the fight out against Tyson until the last round where he actually wobbled Tyson. remember his loss to Bugner in Australia, horrible fight. well and truly finished by that time. He was always in good shape though.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

He was a decent, if limited fighter - but he was always fit, had a good chin and could punch. He was avoided by lots of people because it was difficult to look good against him.

If you were going to compare him with someone, it would be Cleveland 'Big Cat' Williams in the 1960's. ........ big guy, limited, big puncher but started out too late and was not really a true elite level fighter.

Hit the jackpot when he fought Brono and Witherspoon as he should never really have been in the ring with someone like Tyson. His years of being a journey man allowed him to survive the fight.

He had one of the best nicknames in boxing - 'Bonecrusher', how cool is that?
    If God wanted us to be vegetarians, why are animals made of meat ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Ived never forget the nickname like "BoneCrusher" Smith watched him before with Tyson bout, people want to knock him out early by Iron Mike, seems they are unhappy after the fight.

yea second Smith/Witherspoon bout made me laughed this day, at first Tim rocked Smith and i guess even kneeled/ gloves touched the ground still was able to continue by the referee vice versa that fight was brutal. The 3 knockdown rule was classic.

El Kabong Guest

No doubt the best heavyweight my home state has produced! I think he was like most heavyweights who aren't great he was unlucky at times and inconsistant as well, but he had his moments where he looked as dangerous as any of the top fighters of his era.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

What state is that, Lyle?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by X View Post
    He was a decent, if limited fighter - but he was always fit, had a good chin and could punch. He was avoided by lots of people because it was difficult to look good against him.

If you were going to compare him with someone, it would be Cleveland 'Big Cat' Williams in the 1960's. ........ big guy, limited, big puncher but started out too late and was not really a true elite level fighter.

Hit the jackpot when he fought Brono and Witherspoon as he should never really have been in the ring with someone like Tyson. His years of being a journey man allowed him to survive the fight.

He had one of the best nicknames in boxing - 'Bonecrusher', how cool is that?
    Good Assessment

El Kabong Guest

North Carolina....frankly we don't produce many good boxers Bonecrusher Smith and Calvin Brock are our best

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by El Kabong View Post
    North Carolina....frankly we don't produce many good boxers Bonecrusher Smith and Calvin Brock are our best
    I was just gonna say Bonecrusher was from North Carolina, which struck me as unique when I first saw it on boxrec.

Him and Larry Holmes had a rematch in 1999 in North Carolina. Holmes TKO'd him in 8.

And I agree "Bone crusher" was a GREAT nick name.

The guy was a good bit better than I thought he was. I'd say a pretty good soild heavyweight overall in his day.
    "You knocked him down...now how bout you try knockin me down ?"

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by El Kabong View Post
    I guess not. Joe Frazier was originally from South Carolina, which is just next door at least!

Wasn't Virgil Hill from North carolina?

Thread Information