Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Inconsistent Views

In life I'm pretty much a law and order, follow the damned rules, or change them, kind of guy.

In boxing that general view pretty much holds. Guys who load gloves should be shot, guys who try to break arms should have their arms broken, trainers who try to unfairly influence weigh-ins should be deported etc.

But once two professional prizefighters actually enter the ring? I tend to give men a great deal of leeway and I prefer referees who do the same. I also admire men who know enough about boxing to expand and bend the rules shall we say. Borderline bodyshots, shots to the hip, shots on the butt, educated use of shoulders and forearms, spinning a guy and and hitting him etc doesn't offend me in the least. I think in most cases fighters should police one another. Get hit low? Go low right back. If you don't know enough to do that? Your problem.

Are my views as stated inconsistent? You betcha! Does that bother me? Nope.

You got anything like that?
    Hidden Content Bring me the best and I will knock them out-Alexis Arguello
    I'm not God, but I am something similar-Robert Duran

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Inconsistent Views

Quote Originally Posted by marbleheadmaui View Post
    In life I'm pretty much a law and order, follow the damned rules, or change them, kind of guy.

In boxing that general view pretty much holds. Guys who load gloves should be shot, guys who try to break arms should have their arms broken, trainers who try to unfairly influence weigh-ins should be deported etc.

But once two professional prizefighters actually enter the ring? I tend to give men a great deal of leeway and I prefer referees who do the same. I also admire men who know enough about boxing to expand and bend the rules shall we say. Borderline bodyshots, shots to the hip, shots on the butt, educated use of shoulders and forearms, spinning a guy and and hitting him etc doesn't offend me in the least. I think in most cases fighters should police one another. Get hit low? Go low right back. If you don't know enough to do that? Your problem.

I like those views.... I agree 100%

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I absolutely love some good quality trash-talk & generally I've got no limits on what is acceptable to say before you get in the ring with an opponent. However, I'm probably inconsistent in that, while I don't mind a guy bending the rules, flat out intentionally breaking them disgusts me. Considering I have no rules on the social conventions by which boxers should address each other I'd say that's inconsistent.

The best example off the top of my head is Zab Judah. I have no issue with how he talks up what he'll do pre-fight, but his intentional cheating when he was about to get stopped against Mayweather & how he 'took advantage' of the cut against Clottey truly disgusted me & I was delighted to see him lose on both occasions although not by the TKO it deserved to be.

Mentioned
    429 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Sometimes it just seems a more cheap n easy ring existence compared to the days of loin cloths and beat a guy into eating canned soup Willard vs Dempsey kd rules. As much as you'd hope for a mutual 'respect' and tit for tat with bottom line being fighting and less looking to the ref....some boxers are just a snippet of the pussification of society as a whole. They know you can milk rules and gain advantages more so by working refs than by being Mr macho man and sucking it up and having to work through it. I mean people used to carry guns on there hips too but now just call the cops, unless your in Texas where all bets are off.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I pretty much carry that view except I can accept it when a fighter resorts to a tactic when he has to survive, but not as a tactic. Example:It pisses me off when fighters hold as a tactic rather than as a survival mechanism.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by fan johnny View Post

I pretty much carry that view except I can accept it when a fighter resorts to a tactic when he has to survive, but not as a tactic. Example:It pisses me off when fighters hold as a tactic rather than as a survival mechanism.
    I hear ya on that. The thing is, for a guy like Wlad (as an example), I think it is both.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by JazMerkin View Post
    I absolutely love some good quality trash-talk & generally I've got no limits on what is acceptable to say before you get in the ring with an opponent. However, I'm probably inconsistent in that, while I don't mind a guy bending the rules, flat out intentionally breaking them disgusts me. Considering I have no rules on the social conventions by which boxers should address each other I'd say that's inconsistent.

The best example off the top of my head is Zab Judah. I have no issue with how he talks up what he'll do pre-fight, but his intentional cheating when he was about to get stopped against Mayweather & how he 'took advantage' of the cut against Clottey truly disgusted me & I was delighted to see him lose on both occasions although not by the TKO it deserved to be.
    [laughing]

Yup. That qualifies!

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by JazMerkin View Post

[laughing]

Yup. That qualifies!
    Yeah, I thought so. I'm also pretty inconsistent in that I love trash talk pre-fight, but I can't stand to see someone be a dick post-fight. Why I so enjoyed Paris-Coleman last night.

Hmmm, it's also another point that implicates a certain Mr Zabdiel Judah. You might be getting the sense that I don't like Zab too much

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

"DONT FOUL BACK! DONT FOUL BACK Im WARNING YOU! " - Referee Marty Denkin

warning Manny Pacquiao after the late Agapito Sanchez peppered Pacquiao with combos of low blows ang head butts round after round up to the 5th Pac did not rettaliate LOL

Thread Information