Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Give Mayweather some credit..... (even if it's grudgingly)

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    532 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Give Mayweather some credit..... (even if it's grudgingly)

Maidana came to fight and stormed Mayweather with pressure and offense. For the second time in the last four fights, Floyd came away bloodied (even if it was a clash of heads). In the later rounds, Floyd felt compelled to go into offensive mode, and fired some accurate right hands, some good combinations, and backed Maidana up. It was a good fight... and we all enjoyed it.

My main criticism of Floyd is that he's fought 8 times over the last 6 1/2 years. That's too much time between fights. But as for ducking opponents? Not IMO. He's fought the available names out there. People want him to fight Martinez, but c'mon... there's always been a huge size difference there.

The other thing is he's got just two KO's in those last 8 fights. The TKO over Hatton, and the KO over "kiss-and-make-up" Ortiz. The rest have been decisions. And with the exception of 2 fights, the rest have been one-sided, boring beatdowns. All of which does not endear Floyd to the public, though it's hardly his fault.

But bottom line... Floyd is a great talent that I for one will miss when he's gone. His array of punches... his defense... his ring generalship. All beautiful to behold in the ring.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Give Mayweather some credit..... (even if it's grudgingly)

Mayweather is from Grand Rapids, Michigan.

He's okay...better than nothing.

Mentioned
    532 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Talking Re: Give Mayweather some credit..... (even if it's grudgingly)

Quote Originally Posted by bradlee180 View Post
    Mayweather is from Grand Rapids, Michigan.

He's okay...better than nothing.

LOL....
    That's textbook "grudging".

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Of course Mayweather gets credit, he's one of the best fighters of the last 25 years.

I'm not sure whether he's slowed down, had an off night, or styles make fights, and Maidana just presents style problems for Mayweather's style.

I'm not sure I'd favor Maidana over Thurman or Porter so it's crazy that he took Floyd to the brink of defeat.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Check out the scorecards here.

Maidana won rounds 1,3,4,5,8,11,12 on at least one of the cards. That's crazy in a Mayweather fight.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post
    Maidana came to fight and stormed Mayweather with pressure and offense. For the second time in the last four fights, Floyd came away bloodied (even if it was a clash of heads). In the later rounds, Floyd felt compelled to go into offensive mode, and fired some accurate right hands, some good combinations, and backed Maidana up. It was a good fight... and we all enjoyed it.

My main criticism of Floyd is that he's fought 8 times over the last 6 1/2 years. That's too much time between fights. But as for ducking opponents? Not IMO. He's fought the available names out there. People want him to fight Martinez, but c'mon... there's always been a huge size difference there.

The other thing is he's got just two KO's in those last 8 fights. The TKO over Hatton, and the KO over "kiss-and-make-up" Ortiz. The rest have been decisions. And with the exception of 2 fights, the rest have been one-sided, boring beatdowns. All of which does not endear Floyd to the public, though it's hardly his fault.

But bottom line... Floyd is a great talent that I for one will miss when he's gone. His array of punches... his defense... his ring generalship. All beautiful to behold in the ring.
    I agree with everything you said about Floyd, except not fighting enough.
    I'm starting to think he might be screwing himself with this SHOWTIME deal. He might be fighting more often, concerning his body and Father Time, than he should be.
    No one knows for sure and I'm just shooting the breeze, but what do you think?

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Rantcatrat View Post
    Of course Mayweather gets credit, he's one of the best fighters of the last 25 years.

I'm not sure whether he's slowed down, had an off night, or styles make fights, and Maidana just presents style problems for Mayweather's style.

I'm not sure I'd favor Maidana over Thurman or Porter so it's crazy that he took Floyd to the brink of defeat.
    Your last sentence says it for me too, it makes you wonder how far Floyd has slipped, if he has.
    I'm thinking Floyd will be sparring with some swarming, straight ahead, pressure fighters, especially if the rematch happens.
    Boxing just became a lot more interesting, which speaks well for the interest Floyd generates.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

People also don't give him enough credit for the fact his opponents are massively out weighing him too, beating guys 2-3 weight division up on fight night not forgetting Floyds move up god knows how many weight divisions just to be at welter.

The man is an extraordinary fighter and athlete. Tonight I think it was a case of Maidana doing better than expected, which easily can deceive people in thinking a fight was closer than it really was.
    THE SKY IS THE LIMIT NOT THE LIMIT IS THE SKY

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I have to stop coming on these forums right after a big fight. Its as predictable as a shitty scoring card is every week. There is no middle ground. Either an elite fighter is thrown to the wolves for losing or having problems of all places in a boxing match lol or some other fighter is the next coming of Christ because he did better then expected. All based on what should have happened not happening. A good buddy on another forum put it this way,
    It's hard to separate my dislike of him and desire to see him lose his 0 from what's really going on.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Floyd is tough and strong as hell mentally.

He took a beating the first 6 rounds then got himself back into the fight.

He's slipping though and did not expect what he got last night.

Mentioned
    430 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I can't stand the fooker, dislike everything about him ,but think he won the fight and it was very exciting.

That'll be the extent of me giving him credit

Mentioned
    532 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by beenKOed View Post

I agree with everything you said about Floyd, except not fighting enough.
    I'm starting to think he might be screwing himself with this SHOWTIME deal. He might be fighting more often, concerning his body and Father Time, than he should be.
    No one knows for sure and I'm just shooting the breeze, but what do you think?

Well, remember he took that self-imposed sabbatical a while back, only to discover the only thing he knows how to do is boxing. We fans are all different... but I for one like fighters that are active. Don't claim you're the best thing since sliced bread, and then treat your fans to less than a fight a year. It just doesn't cut it with me. That being said, I agree about Father Time. It spares no man, even someone as gifted and hardworking as Floyd Mayweather.

Thread Information