Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default What is your jogging routine

I run as hard as i can around my Area in a circuit that takes 17 minutes everyday , doesn't seem much but im quite pussy when it comes to running.
    Thats cricket

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: What is your jogging routine

Jogging at a slower pace for a longer distance works better in the long run (no pun intended). You dont need to jog untill you can't go anymore that just fatiguies the body. a slow pace for a long distance is better for stamina
    Hidden Content IN CASE THEY ALL FORGOT WHAT REAL HEAVYWEIGHT POWER WAS!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

For ametuer boxing where u know your not going 12 rounds , maybe it is best to run short distance fast though
    Thats cricket

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Definetly, run about 3-4 miles and do plenty of periods of sprinting, running for hours isn't going to help you be able to summon up all of your energy and use it in 6 minutes, thats not a long time...

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by DaxxKahn
    Jogging at a slower pace for a longer distance works better in the long run (no pun intended). You dont need to jog untill you can't go anymore that just fatiguies the body. a slow pace for a long distance is better for stamina
    Not for amatuer its not, maybe for the pros and even then only the guys who do over 5 rounds. Being able to be moderatly active for a long period will not be effective at making you able to explode for 6 minutes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by AdamGB
    Not for amatuer its not, maybe for the pros and even then only the guys who do over 5 rounds. Being able to be moderatly active for a long period will not be effective at making you able to explode for 6 minutes.
    If you only train for short fights you are training wrong!!!!!!!!!! I don't care if you fight for 3rds or 12 rds you should be able to go a full 12 rds and still not be tired....I have a whole stable of amatuer fighters including Trevor Bryant the #1 Jr in the country 5 Empire State games Gold medalist 3 Silver Medalist and one of my guys are going to The Olympic training camp for the next games...I have also worked with Verno Phillips amoung some of my pro's and they all get the same workout From World Champion to an amatuer in his 1st fight there is no such thing as training for 3 rds or 5rds you train to your maximum or don't train at all...This is Boxing a physical sport unlike any other...treat every fight like a title fight amatuer or pro and train for every fight like its a title fight...you dont train for how ever many rds the fight is.....Thats the mistake many power punchers make and they are out of gas by the 7th or 8th because they only traind for a short fight thinking they would get the guy out of there....TRAIN TO THE MAX OR DON'T TRAIN AT ALL!!!! Your only cheating yourself if you don't
    Hidden Content IN CASE THEY ALL FORGOT WHAT REAL HEAVYWEIGHT POWER WAS!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If you only train for short fights you are training wrong!!!!!!!!!! I don't care if you fight for 3rds or 12 rds you should be able to go a full 12 rds and still not be tired....I have a whole stable of amatuer fighters including Trevor Bryant the #1 Jr in the country 5 Empire State games Gold medalist 3 Silver Medalist and one of my guys are going to The Olympic training camp for the next games...I have also worked with Verno Phillips amoung some of my pro's and they all get the same workout From World Champion to an amatuer in his 1st fight there is no such thing as training for 3 rds or 5rds you train to your maximum or don't train at all...This is Boxing a physical sport unlike any other...treat every fight like a title fight amatuer or pro and train for every fight like its a title fight...you dont train for how ever many rds the fight is.....Thats the mistake many power punchers make and they are out of gas by the 7th or 8th because they only traind for a short fight thinking they would get the guy out of there....TRAIN TO THE MAX OR DON'T TRAIN AT ALL!!!! Your only cheating yourself if you don't
    yes , but It is still possible to as you say "TRAIN TO THE MAX" , while running shorter distances , you just run faster and harder no ?

is it not better to train intense and short (interval training with sprints etc) so you can be very busy for 6 rounds and maintain explosive power in that time? than be ready for a 12 round paced war when you are only fighting a few rounds.
    Thats cricket

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Don't think you quiet understand. Doing a 3-4 mile shuttle run is better suited to a 3-4 round amatuer bout due to pacing and duration... a long distance run works different energy systems which are unrequired... just because you run a lower distance it doesn't mean you can't work as hard... stop trying to think in distances and reps for a second here.

Would a sprinter do a marathon runners training? training is sport specific and the amatuer and pro games are very different. its not a case of doing less training or not training as hard its a point of training for the type of fitness you need. I couldn't run at the speed and do the explosive sprints I do over 12 miles... its physically not possible... forget 'no pain no gain' for a second... I need to be able to work as hard as I can in a short amount of time (6 minutes isn't long... is it?) so running at a lower intensity will not work the required energy systems that a more anaerobic run will.

Put it this way... I could take you out on one of the runs I do over 3-4 miles or you could go on a 10 mile run with me and you would of worked just as hard in both. The difference being that in the shorter one you would have done more Anaerobic work which is extremley important for an amatuer bout (why train for 12 if you won't do that many till your a pro).

its not like being a 'power puncher' either, unless they suddenly change the rules... amatuer bouts will be 3 rounds and 4 rounds for an ABA fight.

What would be harder, jogging 8 miles of sprinting up and down hills for 4? Its not a case of not working as hard as you can... its about training for what you do.

In a period of a few weeks you can only increase the components of your fitness so much, if I where to focus more on my Aerobic fitness by doing 'longer max out runs' like you're suggesting then Aerobicly I wouldn't be as fit... and whilst I would have more stamina to maintain a lower work rate over 12 rounds like a pro fighter would... I couldn't get as much done in 6 minutes as an amatuer fighter would.

trust me, there is such a thing as sport specific training for amatuer length fights... Just because some one's training is shorter doesn't mean its any less intense... I train as hard as most 'semi pros'... I train differently because an amatuer I fight differently...

As for training to the max, didn't you just say that you don't need to jog till you can't on because it will fatigue you?

if I treated every fight like a title fight I would go into a 4-6 week training camp just for that fight... other than the fact I fight on average once every two weeks... do you know how long an amatuer season in Britian lasts? you need periodisation if you're going to train that often and for that long... you'd be burnt out within the first 3 months of the season

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

poom you are in everyway correct why train 12 when your only doing 6;All your doing is overtraing
    Pain lasts a only a minute, but the memory will last forever....

boxingbournemouth - Cornelius Carrs private boxing tuition and personal fitness training

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

definetly, you're also changing the balance of the Aerobic and Anaerobic work that you're doing...

I couldn't run a marathon as well as a marathon runner but stick them on a punch bag for 1 round and they wouldn't be able to keep the work rate I can.

Thread Information