I was surprised to see the large amount of boxing and kickboxing gyms in the Osaka and surrounding areas. Also from what I observed their skill level and training methods are disciplined and good though I don't think there will be many sparring partners if you are above welter. If I was a lightweight or below and aspiring a career in boxing I would probably go out there and launch into the professional ranks since it seems like the professional fighters there are taken care of well in terms of purses. I mean it seems like a whole other world where the lower weights are the epic center of the industry and there are fights going all the time. Though I'm not sure exactly about the match making opportunities if you don't know the Japanese language or aren't well connected.

On another note I found the Japanese to be xenophobic and felt like I was a burden at times and was even denied entry to some restaurants. At times I was completely ignored when asking for directions in the subway. Though the younger crowd and the people outside of the big cities were a bit more open to me, but it's hard to tell you if I would actually enjoy living there. The natural beauty of the place and its infrastructure is incredible though.

What are your thoughts on Japan from a boxing perspective and have any of you guys trained or fought there for extended period of time? Also is the 'rudeness' or total 'avoidance' I felt from some people normal?