Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post
Millennials need to quit their fucking whining.

Seriously... we're not going to abolish plastic tomorrow or any time in the foreseeable future. We've become too dependent on it. What we need to do is parallel efforts to: a) reduce the amount of plastics used in manufacturing, and b) continue to find ways to effectively recycle plastic into things we need.

The (a) part involves things like reducing the thickness of water bottles (already at an annoying "thinness"), rethink how we do our packaging, and just plain use our engineering know-how to lessen the amounts of plastic being manufactured for everyday things. The (b) part is even more exciting, and we've all read about road-building technologies in places like India and Indonesia, where asphalt is substituted with some kind of aggregate using recycled plastic to make roads. These roads are reportedly better and cheaper. As usual, the holdup is always the bureaucratic part of the whole affair.
Exactly nothing will change, but we will see silly things like banning straws come into effect and meanwhile the global population will double. Much of this plastic and sewage ends up in rivers and oceans and our own water supplies. It is very harmful. I don't eat seafood, so I don't really care about it from that angle, but I don't think it is fair to destroy ocean life because of our awful methods of production and waste evacuation.

Also, I was hearing that birds are dying because they fly into the reflections of trees on these shiny new steel skyscrapers. You didn't have this problem when we had beautiful Cathedrals and actual trees in urban areas.

Post Modernism is a stain in so many ways.