Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Cardio My Workout

Hey, i wondering if i could get some mixed feedback here (prefferably from Adam n Alex) on my workout, and possibly give me some alternates or how i can switch it up, as im trying to work on my Cardio and build my Stamina, This is my home work out, any feedback would be appreciated:

10 mins skipping
    5-10 minute on Running Machine Lvl 13 ( 0.8 being the lowest 13 being the highest )
    10 mins skipping
    5-10 Mins on Running Machine Lvl 13
    10 mins Skipping
    If my legs are up to it : 30 Mins Rolling program ( Starts at 6.0 and up to 10 twice )

10 Mins punching bag
    10 Mins freestanding man

2 rounds of

30 Situps
    15 Crunches
    12 of them rolling leg raises
    12 Leg raises
    10 Scissor situps

Dumbells
    10 standing curls (not sure on the weight but all provided weights are on em)
    10 Military presses
    10 Sitting curls

1 Round of Situps

Dumbells again

END

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Cardio My Workout

running

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

^ Try working some road work into it, I'd bulk up the bag work a bit aswell. Punch out drills etc, don't feel like you have to stick to 3 minute rounds with a long brake or what ever... in our gym we normally do 1-1:30-2 minute rounds on the bags with a 10 second brake for 20 rounds all out punching with a set combination or technique for each bag.

When you say stamina, do you meen how long you can perform or how hard you can perform? I swear by sprints, do a distance you feel comfortable with (I run for about 5-6 miles at a decent pace before I tire, so 4 miles is comfortable for me) and look for areas that you can sprint on your root. There are loads of stairs, hills and long streets etc that I sprint up and down at different speeds and amounts depending on their length and steepness. Experiment and see what works for you.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Cheers for the response.

I judge my stamina by two ways, i mean, whenever i do my runs on the machine, or running wherever, i always have enough energy to sprint consistantly for about a minute or so and on the punchbag, before i do any training or anything just do some quick stretches and go out all on the bag, and im red faced and puffing within i'd say about the first minute.

i really have a piss poor stamina rate and always have, i mean im good at pretty much doing short explosive bursts but as for survivng over the distance of more then 4 rounds im not there, i can box to the best of my ability for the first round, and second round, then by the 3rd i slip and tend to stomp everywhere, i geuss like David Tua minus the talent.

I'll definetly bulk up on the bag, i did use to do it for like you said, but stopped once i got my running machine, and literally had no energy in my arms to go for so long.

I've never been into running much ( yah willie meehan style ) and i run on a average of 1.5 KM in 7 minutes on the treadmill, this is at the top level as i cant go any faster. and around 3.2 over a 30 minute period, and beleive me, i sweat alot when doing the running.

My main focus is less off boxing now and more on military service as to get into shape and my Stamina is just piss poor so i really appreciate the feedback.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

This is how I train new bodies. 10 mins roadwork 5 days a week. Raise it by a minute per week, once you get to 20 mins cut down to four days per week, 30 mins three days per week, up to 45 mins. Sounds simple but it works.
    Check your resting heart rate, should come down about 1 beat per minute for the first 10 weeks.

Good luck and train hard.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Sheps
    Cheers for the response.

I judge my stamina by two ways, i mean, whenever i do my runs on the machine, or running wherever, i always have enough energy to sprint consistantly for about a minute or so and on the punchbag, before i do any training or anything just do some quick stretches and go out all on the bag, and im red faced and puffing within i'd say about the first minute.

i really have a piss poor stamina rate and always have, i mean im good at pretty much doing short explosive bursts but as for survivng over the distance of more then 4 rounds im not there, i can box to the best of my ability for the first round, and second round, then by the 3rd i slip and tend to stomp everywhere, i geuss like David Tua minus the talent.

I'll definetly bulk up on the bag, i did use to do it for like you said, but stopped once i got my running machine, and literally had no energy in my arms to go for so long.

I've never been into running much ( yah willie meehan style ) and i run on a average of 1.5 KM in 7 minutes on the treadmill, this is at the top level as i cant go any faster. and around 3.2 over a 30 minute period, and beleive me, i sweat alot when doing the running.

My main focus is less off boxing now and more on military service as to get into shape and my Stamina is just piss poor so i really appreciate the feedback.
    Do you know the difference between Anaerobic and Aerobic training? Your Anaerobic energy system is basicly responsible for all the short duration explosive type exercises you do like sprinting and combination punching. your Aerobic one is used for sustained low intensity ones like moving around the ring for a round, running/jogging, removing lactic acid from your muscles etc.

Sounds to me like your Anearobic threshhold is probably the stronger of the two. When you run distance how far do you normally run?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

yeah i know what they mean, i usually run about 3/4 KM which is only about 2.5 miles, and anaerobic i can sprint i'd say for just under a mile.

Yeah its true my anerobic is better to my aerobic as no matter what im doing and no matter how hard im hurting i can always pull out a quick powerfull combo, but to be able to keep it up is just not there, as well as my feet movement, i would stat off quick on my feet and moving about alot, then after a while i would be stomping left to right and throwing my punches real slow.

I've always had a better anaerobic style in pretty much anything, from being a good 100 M sprinter to having that extra burst in football to be able to move at a fast pace and get it down the field.

But try to get me do a long distance run or expect me to play the full 90 minutes and its just not possible and ill always come last out of everyone.

Which is why i want to improve my areobic cause atm im pretty much a sitting duck going into round 3 and 4.

i thnk ive got quite far being able to sprint 7 minutes straight, might sound dumb to most people but i use to only be able to sprint for no more then 1 minute and this was when i was one of the top atheletes when i was in secondary.

PS atm im 5'8 n 164, im pretty stocky but i aint gunna lie i got a bit of a gut, which is why im contemplating dropping down a weightclass as alot of the guys in my weight are pushing 5'11/6'0 and i like to box, and thats pretty hard to work the jab against a guy who has a pretty good reach compared to my own.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

164? whats that in kg? I'm 5"11 and fight at 81kg and so far all the guys I've fought have been my height or shorter with the exception of one kid who had nearly a foot on me :P

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

hmm its around 74/74.4 KG

Might be a slight exageration on height, but everyone i've fought and sparred has been quite a bit taller then me.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

is that middleweight or the bottom of light heavy? just make sure your the heaviest in your weight division.

Rember also that the really tall guys may have the range advantage but you'll have strength in clinches and more leverage in your hooks, if you can get inside and too the body they're more likely to drop than you are...

In my experience the tall skinny guys don't have good legs either, they get rocked more easily and some times they're fitness suffers from being so slim. Saying that there are some exceptions where they either have light bones or something but a shit load of muscle or some people are just naturally strong. 9 times out of 10 though range is just about all a lank fighter will have... hand speed over you maybe but thats only if your really stocky.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yeah its middleweight. Alot of the guys i've fought i have had the better balance, power and speed, but its quite hard to get on the inside when your constantly getting hit with jabs, and as amatuers are all about points my power basically gets thrown out the window.

I always preffer to take the jabs and hooks to get on the inside and a basically through alot of uppercuts and some hooks to the body, which tends to work alot of the time, but rarely have i landed with a hook up top, which is a shame as i feel if my right hook did land it would drop most of em, but as most of em are taller and slimmer, they can usually use their supperior footwork to either sidestep or even lean back, at which point without fail i always get caught with jabs and straights. Im good at moving in a small circle around my opponent which i feel works to my advantage but if they start using the ring they can and usually find it easy to outpoint me.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Gotta work on your technique then. Alot of the time tall guys aren't really that more skilled but until you reach a certian level of skill height is a huge advantage and makes alot of difference

(you take to relativly inexperienced fighters and give one a reach advantage and all of a sudden he appears techniqually superior when really he's not).

learn to get inside, cut the ring off and move forwards and you'll soon learn that being lanky will only really give you a huge advantage against novice fighters

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Don't circle in one direction... get them circling one way and then suddenly change direction... they won't be expecting it so they'll be a delay when they're off balance and unable to move away effectivly. One of the best ways to cut the ring off.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Cheers for the advice, is truly appreciated, alot better then some of the advice i been getting lately from our trainers.

I've definetly tried moving in, as i am usually always the more aggressive of the two, its definetly cutting off the ring i find to be the hardest, as like you said i do actually have a bad habbit of only circling to the left which is usually initiated with a high left hook, at which point they sqirm out to the right and take control from the centre again.

What you said about suddenly changing defiently sounds like something i could definetly use to good affect, i'll definetly use it when i spar next and see if i can pull it off.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

No problem, the trick is to think like you are stuck together my a rope or a magnet or something. he won't move out of his comfort range or stand still whilst you circle him.

He will stay within a certain distance and face you... you have to to move him so if you just move in one direction he'll go in the opposite constantly until you change.

Thread Information