Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default the pain in my knuckles

I use to break boards with my hands pretending to be a martial artist because i know that makes your bones harder. Now i wonder if that has anything to do with the pain in my right hand, do most boxers experience pain in there hands? It feels like its fractured and its difficult for me to make a tight fist but the doctor says theres nothing wrong with my bones. If this is normal is there anything i can do to ease the pain? I took about a months break and when i got back the first right hand i threw felt like i had no break at all. Do i need to give it more time?

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: the pain in my knuckles

Its probably not the bones. I won't even pretend to know the exact since but your hand is full of all sorts of ligaments, connective tissues and membranes etc yadayayada... Whats more likely is that you've teared, strained, Infalmed, pulled or ripped any one of these. Scrap knows alot about Anatomy, I'd wait and see if he has any ideas and pay attention to him

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I have never did any martial arts but when I first started boxing I had my nuckles bleeding, tearing the skin, and red as crap. Mainly just from hitting on the heavy bag and the mitts. But, after a while, they just toughned up so they dont do any of that stuff anymore. I guess theres no harm in trying to give them some more time to rest, but still keep it moving, dont let it get all stiff.

Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Some 10-12 years ago I had a problem with my right hand; it was constantly sore and if you looked at it sideways the knuckles would begin to swell. I had x-rays done and the doctor couldfind nothing wrong and his only advice was to quit boxing. I purchased all the knuckleguards andknuckle protectors I could find and I had sponges under my gloves and all the rest and nothing worked. I'd throw a right hand and it would hurt and swell immediately.
    One night I took off all the wraps and sat down and thought about the mechnics of how I was throwing the punch and decided that the problem was that, in anticpation of the pain, I was causingit by laying off the punch. So,bare-isted, I jabbedtwice and threw as good a right as I could and it didn't hurt and hasn't since. The problem was twofold, I think, in that I was landing on an odd part of the knuckle and that due to all the crap under my wrps I couldn't make a proper fist.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Light Its probably not the nuckle,listening to your explanation.Put your thumb on your forearm, and wiggle the finger.Follow the muscle to the elbow,where the tendon is then come down the line 3 inch Then push muscle up with pressure about 8 times.Do it every day for a week get back to me
    Pain lasts a only a minute, but the memory will last forever....

boxingbournemouth - Cornelius Carrs private boxing tuition and personal fitness training

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

yea grey that makes a lot of sense. The fist punch i throw always hurts but when i do hand pads since I have someone telling me i can hit harder than this and to put some power behind it I stop thinking about my hand and just punch. By the second round of hand pads i really don't feel any pain.

Ill try the advice and let you know scrap

thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hi,

When i first started boxing I used to just have a pair of mitts and punch away on the bag. As my punch become harder my hands start to split and bleed. It may sound very simple and I am not sure if it has been mentioned just I bought some hand wraps, this gave my hands / knuckles more strenght so i could go into punches alot easier, faster and harder. Now I have been doing it for a while my hands are harder and if I dont use hand wraps my hands seem to be fine.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

i once went to collect a basket ball from a pass and it hit the end of my thumb. i've done simmilar things before but it never hurt that much, it fucking recked. and i just ignored it really and it never had a chance to get better untill i stopped doing anything that could dammage it or make it hurt again for about 3 weeks. after about a week it was almost perfect again but i was a bit paranoid about hurting it again so gave it a bit longer. it's fine now. so my advise would be leave it alone and give it time. theres fuck all they can do anyway really if it is dammaged except tell you to rest it and it'll heal itself.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by greynotsoold View Post
    Some 10-12 years ago I had a problem with my right hand; it was constantly sore and if you looked at it sideways the knuckles would begin to swell. I had x-rays done and the doctor couldfind nothing wrong and his only advice was to quit boxing. I purchased all the knuckleguards andknuckle protectors I could find and I had sponges under my gloves and all the rest and nothing worked. I'd throw a right hand and it would hurt and swell immediately.
    One night I took off all the wraps and sat down and thought about the mechnics of how I was throwing the punch and decided that the problem was that, in anticpation of the pain, I was causingit by laying off the punch. So,bare-isted, I jabbedtwice and threw as good a right as I could and it didn't hurt and hasn't since. The problem was twofold, I think, in that I was landing on an odd part of the knuckle and that due to all the crap under my wrps I couldn't make a proper fist.
    yo grey! do u still frequent the ask the trainer section frequently? Because i was going to make a thread on the boxing clinch and it'd be cool if you could drop a dime in there and take us to school once more.

Chris and scrap..cya there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think that I might have the same problem as you. Well maybe a little different. I used to have a pain in my knuckles and sometimes my whole hand. Hit would be find until I hit the back for one round. It would hurt so bad that I would tap the bag during workouts. I tried all of the wrap combinations even the one where your fold the the wrap across the top of your knuckles several times which I guess is call the ribbon affect. That didn't help. My coach said he thinks maybe I just hit too hard for my hand. Sounds funny but I decided to by the knuckle pads, Search from Title Boxing, from title boxing. It is a black leather pad that goes on with your wraps. That helped out a lot. Oh yeah, my gloves fit still after adding these. Although after a couple of months, I could now feel it in my forearm. So I had to move up to 16 ounce gloves while hitting the bag. I guess I have weak hands or I am just a wuss. But since then, I haven't had any pain in either place.
    Last edited by gumaheru; 09-25-2008 at 10:28 PM. Reason: addition

Thread Information