Boxing Forums


.



User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 242

Thread: Sergio Martinez vs. Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. - Saturday night fight/chat thread

Share/Bookmark
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    6,903
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    0
    Cool Clicks

    Arrow Sergio Martinez vs. Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. - Saturday night fight/chat thread

    Man, Saturday can't get here quick enough, this should be fucking war, the legend's son, Julio Jr, against the old lion Sergio Martinez, for all the marbles. This is one us hardcore fans have been waiting for.

    Sept. 15th.
    At Las Vegas (HBO PPV): Sergio Martinez vs. Julio Cesar Chavez Jr., 12 rounds, for Martinez's Ring magazine and Chavez's WBC middleweight title; Rocky Martinez vs. Miguel Beltran, 12 rounds, for vacant WBO junior lightweight title; Matthew Macklin vs. Joachim Alcine, 10 rounds, middleweights.


    Is Jr. ready for Martinez, or will he get schooled, and then knocked out? -or- Will the much younger, bigger Chavez Jr surprise everyone including Sergio, come up big and win a clearcut decision. (I don't see Jr knocking Sergio out as a possibility)

    I'm leaning towards Sergio stopping Chavez Jr. in one of the later rounds. If it's a close fight that goes to a decision, Chavez Jr. will get the nod, and there's a good chance that even if Martinez dominates the action, he'll still take a royal fucking on the scorecards.

    HBO: Boxing: Home

    Who you kats got?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Northern Canada
    Posts
    9,793
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    734
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Sergio Martinez vs. Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. - Saturday night fight/chat thread

    Jr. is making twice as much as Martinez. Hilarious.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Redondo Beach CA
    Posts
    975
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    1096
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Sergio Martinez vs. Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. - Saturday night fight/chat thread

    Boxing as a sport is crazy enough that you never know what is going to happen, at any one moment even after being beaten up for 9 rounds a fighter can come back with one punch and change the fight in an instance and its a rude awakening for the guy that gets cracked, ask Mike Jones; then add the contrversy of bought judges, PED's, and dieuretics and you really never know what the outcome will be.

    Chavez is bigger, stronger, taller, and has one of the best hooks to the body since Cotto in his earlier days. Martinez is quicker, sharper with his punches, and has more over all boxing ability. Thats really as far as i want to go with it, I really would like to just let it play out and see what happens. The chance that I see Chavez having is that Martinez is going to want to knock Chavez out so he is going to be in the pocket alot more throwing everything he's got at Chavez who does have a durable chin. While Martinez is attacking the head, Chavez will have a chance to attack to the body and slow the older man down. Martinez has been knocked down in several fights so I dont think its out of this world to think that Chavez can get a knockdown at some point in the fight.

    Martinez obviously has to keep away but I think his anger wont let him, he is going to want to knockout Jr. to make sure he doesnt get screwed by the judges and because I think he is alot more emotional about this fight then previous ones and at some point he is really going to want to hurt Chavez and that is where Chavez will either rise to the occasion and throw to the body or he wont, either way we see what he's made of on Saturday.

    So I see it as a 65-35 fight in favor of Martinez but with some subplots (age, last few perfomances on both sides, fighter focus) that could make this the fight of the year. There are too many suspicious things in Chavez's background for me to really root for him whole-heartedly but I hope that if he pulls this off that he does it cleanly and with zero controversy...unfortunately I dont think thats going to happen.

    Chavez Jr.’s Weight Conflict– Certifying Physician is Chavez Employee, “Furosemide Doctor” | theboxingtribune.com
    The key is Self-discipline.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    2,608
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    755
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Sergio Martinez vs. Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. - Saturday night fight/chat thread

    Quote Originally Posted by IamInuit View Post
    Jr. is making twice as much as Martinez. Hilarious.
    Yea I ready Martinez signed a 70/30. At thomas mack expect the gate to be more than 5 million. Could have been 10 million or more if the venue was at the MGM.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Antelope Valley, California
    Posts
    5,048
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    518
    Cool Clicks

    Default

    After the first round things will get very interesting, it could even take two rounds but after they've had a good look at each other this fight will live up to our expectations. I'm leaning towards Martinez inside of seven.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    6,903
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    0
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Sergio Martinez vs. Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. - Saturday night fight/chat thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Onix View Post
    Boxing as a sport is crazy enough that you never know what is going to happen, at any one moment even after being beaten up for 9 rounds a fighter can come back with one punch and change the fight in an instance and its a rude awakening for the guy that gets cracked, ask Mike Jones; then add the contrversy of bought judges, PED's, and dieuretics and you really never know what the outcome will be.

    Chavez is bigger, stronger, taller, and has one of the best hooks to the body since Cotto in his earlier days. Martinez is quicker, sharper with his punches, and has more over all boxing ability. Thats really as far as i want to go with it, I really would like to just let it play out and see what happens. The chance that I see Chavez having is that Martinez is going to want to knock Chavez out so he is going to be in the pocket alot more throwing everything he's got at Chavez who does have a durable chin. While Martinez is attacking the head, Chavez will have a chance to attack to the body and slow the older man down. Martinez has been knocked down in several fights so I dont think its out of this world to think that Chavez can get a knockdown at some point in the fight.

    Martinez obviously has to keep away but I think his anger wont let him, he is going to want to knockout Jr. to make sure he doesnt get screwed by the judges and because I think he is alot more emotional about this fight then previous ones and at some point he is really going to want to hurt Chavez and that is where Chavez will either rise to the occasion and throw to the body or he wont, either way we see what he's made of on Saturday.

    So I see it as a 65-35 fight in favor of Martinez but with some subplots (age, last few perfomances on both sides, fighter focus) that could make this the fight of the year. There are too many suspicious things in Chavez's background for me to really root for him whole-heartedly but I hope that if he pulls this off that he does it cleanly and with zero controversy...unfortunately I dont think thats going to happen.

    Chavez Jr.’s Weight Conflict– Certifying Physician is Chavez Employee, “Furosemide Doctor” | theboxingtribune.com
    Good post Onix, funny how Jr. went from being a skinny little kid, to walking around as a muscular Light-heavyweight. I'd really like to see this fight so I hope Chavez Jr. doesn't test positive for anything banned prior to the fight or spoil the fight by not coming in @ the middleweight limit of 160 on friday at the weigh-in. To be honest, I don't see Jr. having a chance against Martinez without using PEDs or coming in @ the weigh-in over the 160 limit.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    4,826
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    638
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Sergio Martinez vs. Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. - Saturday night fight/chat thread

    has anyone looked into the betting odds? the bookies have it a very close fight.

    some have martinez up, others have chavez up...

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    6,903
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    0
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Sergio Martinez vs. Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. - Saturday night fight/chat thread

    Quote Originally Posted by ruthless rocco View Post
    has anyone looked into the betting odds? the bookies have it a very close fight.

    some have martinez up, others have chavez up...
    Last time I checked Martinez was still the betting favorite, but that will continue to narrow as a lot of money will be bet on Jr.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    This Lunatic Asylum
    Posts
    23,178
    Mentioned
    414 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    2860
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Sergio Martinez vs. Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. - Saturday night fight/chat thread

    It shows how pathetic boxing is when everyone thinks the champion can't get a fair decision and the other guy is juiced to his eyeballs.

    Ignoring all the shady stuff that surrounds Jr... His form really isn't that impressive. Yeah he's improved a lot but he's never been anywhere near someone with Martinez class. Who is the best fighter he's faced?Zbik, Rubio, Lee? Martinez would wipe the floor with these guys. Barker and Macklin would beat these guys.

    Martinez KO 9
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    This Lunatic Asylum
    Posts
    23,178
    Mentioned
    414 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    2860
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Sergio Martinez vs. Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. - Saturday night fight/chat thread

    What bookies have Jr as the favourtie? That is insane. Martinez is a best priced 4/7 fav with British bookies, Jr 15/8
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    6,903
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    0
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Sergio Martinez vs. Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. - Saturday night fight/chat thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Fenster View Post
    It shows how pathetic boxing is when everyone thinks the champion can't get a fair decision and the other guy is juiced to his eyeballs.

    Ignoring all the shady stuff that surrounds Jr... His form really isn't that impressive. Yeah he's improved a lot but he's never been anywhere near someone with Martinez class. Who is the best fighter he's faced?Zbik, Rubio, Lee? Martinez would wipe the floor with these guys. Barker and Macklin would beat these guys.

    Martinez KO 9
    And of course, HBO has a vested interest in Jr. winning, so they'll be all over Jr's nuts, I may as well just mute the sound before the fight starts or watch the fight on a Brit stream. (it's a PPV on HBO)

    Do you know what the odds are for this fight @Fenster?

    Never mind bro, just saw your post.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    11,686
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    2011
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Sergio Martinez vs. Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. - Saturday night fight/chat thread

    11/4 Martinez by TKO/KO. Hmm...
    I was only an instrument that God used to play his music through. Loved being that instrument because he gave me some beautiful music to play.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    1,012
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    449
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Sergio Martinez vs. Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. - Saturday night fight/chat thread

    If I may ask a question, how many of you have given Chavez a far larger benefit of the doubt after his Andy Lee fight?

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Redondo Beach CA
    Posts
    975
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    1096
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Sergio Martinez vs. Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. - Saturday night fight/chat thread

    Quote Originally Posted by DavilaJones View Post
    If I may ask a question, how many of you have given Chavez a far larger benefit of the doubt after his Andy Lee fight?

    For me that fight did show that Chavez has a better shot at this, not ncessarily that it pushed him to be the favorite but it increased his chances. It showed that he has a rock solid chin which everyone pretty much already knew but it confirmed it.

    Also it showed something else that I think may have some relevance in this fight; Chavez gets under alot of peoples skin for many reasons and during the fight his antics with acting like Lee's shots werent hurting him made Lee open up and trade with Chavez and he lost that battle. Lee was outbixing Chavez pretty well and took the first 4 rounds but as I believe in round 5 Chavez started doing his little act like Lee's shots werent affecting him and it changed the fight, Lee stood and traded and started getting worn out, I remember Lee doing the same "you hit like a girl" routine and he got caught with a flush hook that almmost dropped him.

    He looks foolish dancing around up in the ringafter he gets hit with a good shot but it makes the other guy sit their and trade with him. as I stated in my first reply to the thread Martinez is emotional about this fight and Chavez doessnt have enough sense not to taunt Martinez so it could create a slugfest which will be Chavez only chance.
    The key is Self-discipline.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    1,081
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    795
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Sergio Martinez vs. Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. - Saturday night fight/chat thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Fenster View Post
    It shows how pathetic boxing is when everyone thinks the champion can't get a fair decision and the other guy is juiced to his eyeballs.

    Ignoring all the shady stuff that surrounds Jr... His form really isn't that impressive. Yeah he's improved a lot but he's never been anywhere near someone with Martinez class. Who is the best fighter he's faced?Zbik, Rubio, Lee? Martinez would wipe the floor with these guys. Barker and Macklin would beat these guys.

    Martinez KO 9
    Well said. BUT...the very likelihood that Chavez is juiced and will have the judges/HBO clearly on his side, makes me feel Martinez almost has to win by KO. That is a lot of pressure. Hope he pulls it off, but i have a nagging feeling he will either get worn down or get robbed.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 119
    Last Post: 07-31-2012, 05:35 PM
  2. Replies: 122
    Last Post: 06-23-2012, 01:49 AM
  3. Chavez Jr. vs. Rubio Saturday night fight thread
    By Mars_ax in forum Boxing Talk
    Replies: 247
    Last Post: 02-08-2012, 05:21 AM
  4. Replies: 344
    Last Post: 12-12-2011, 06:43 AM
  5. Meldrick taylor v Julio Cesar Chavez FULL FIGHT
    By smashup in forum Boxing Talk
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-15-2007, 10:05 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  





Boxing | Boxing Photos | Boxing News | Boxing Videos | Boxing Forum | Boxing Books | Boxing Posters | Learn to Box | Advanced Fighting Methods | Boxing Rankings | Boxing Schedule | Auctions | Fun and Games | Boxing Equipment

Copyright © 2000 - 2019 Saddo Boxing - Boxing