Boxing Forums


.



User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  53
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 124

Thread: Ward vs Calzaghe

Share/Bookmark
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    1,410
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    510
    Cool Clicks

    Default Ward vs Calzaghe

    Just watched a YouTube segment where Jeff Mayweather is asking various fighters and trainers who would win, prime vs prime, in a fight between Andre Ward and Joe Calzaghe. The end result was 10 for Ward, and 8 for Joe. This is a fascinating match up and got me thinking: would I favor Ward's intelligence in the ring and versatility, or Joe's speed and volume.

    Both are/were great fighters, and this would be a pick em fight. Joe would be difficult for anyone to handle because he was fast and extremely busy. That being said, I can't help but feel that Andre would be able to make it an ugly fight, and take the close decision. I also feel like Andre has the MUCH more impressive list of opponents than Joe does.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    58,060
    Mentioned
    1517 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    2758
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Ward vs Calzaghe

    True Ward could make it a horrible fight like BHop did against Joe but Calzaghe was very versatile as true champions are. Kessler was causing Joe issues as well but Joe adjusted his tactics and won impressively. Hard to pick a winner and it would be a close and cagey contest which could be decided on the location of the fight.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    6,290
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    470
    Cool Clicks

    Default

    Ward isn't alien to making adjustments either. Like you said, BHOP gave Calzaghe problems, so a version 10-15 years younger might just beat him. Ward for me.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    58,060
    Mentioned
    1517 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    2758
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Ward vs Calzaghe

    Quote Originally Posted by Primo Carnera View Post
    Ward isn't alien to making adjustments either. Like you said, BHOP gave Calzaghe problems, so a version 10-15 years younger might just beat him. Ward for me.
    You are Italian that is sacrilegious!
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    North Wales
    Posts
    9,652
    Mentioned
    364 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    696
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Ward vs Calzaghe

    Joe for me a couple of scouting round Joe outboxes the dirty git.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    This Lunatic Asylum
    Posts
    23,183
    Mentioned
    415 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    2865
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Ward vs Calzaghe

    I've watched that vid too. They always favour the American(black guy) but with a harmless fun-knowing wink. It was noticeable that most of Calzaghe's votes came from guys that fought in his era, in the 90s, whereas the younger guys were for Ward. But most were 50-50-ish saying Calzaghe is a great.

    "He slaps yeah, he slaps the hell out of your face" - Kofi.
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    6,290
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    470
    Cool Clicks

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Primo Carnera View Post
    Ward isn't alien to making adjustments either. Like you said, BHOP gave Calzaghe problems, so a version 10-15 years younger might just beat him. Ward for me.
    You are Italian that is sacrilegious!
    I know mate, I went to watch Joe live a few times as well and I like him, but just trying to tell it as it is.
    Having said that , Joe would've beaten every other British SMW there has been, hands down.
    So how does it feel that Britain's Rea test ever SMW was in fact ITALIAN? 😂😂
    Last edited by Primo Carnera; 07-02-2017 at 01:08 AM.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    The Edge Of Nowhere
    Posts
    22,828
    Mentioned
    849 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    1086
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Ward vs Calzaghe

    Quote Originally Posted by Primo Carnera View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Primo Carnera View Post
    Ward isn't alien to making adjustments either. Like you said, BHOP gave Calzaghe problems, so a version 10-15 years younger might just beat him. Ward for me.
    You are Italian that is sacrilegious!
    I know mate, I went to watch Joe live a few times as well and I like him, but just trying to tell it as it is.
    Having said that , Joe would've beaten every other British SMW there has been, hands down.
    So how does it feel that Britain's Rea test ever SMW was in fact ITALIAN? ������������
    English actually. He was born in Landan and didn't move to Wales until he was 2, by which time there is no turning back.
    Hidden Content

    "I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it."

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    4,288
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    418
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Ward vs Calzaghe

    Calzaghe definitely wins some rounds because he is busy, but Ward is fast and accurate. He would be able to time Calzaghe and land some hard shots. And Ward can fight so many styles to where I think he slows him down quite a bit by his tactics.

    I think the scorecards would be anywhere from 117-111 to 115-113

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    58,060
    Mentioned
    1517 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    2758
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Ward vs Calzaghe

    Quote Originally Posted by powerpuncher View Post
    Calzaghe definitely wins some rounds because he is busy, but Ward is fast and accurate. He would be able to time Calzaghe and land some hard shots. And Ward can fight so many styles to where I think he slows him down quite a bit by his tactics.

    I think the scorecards would be anywhere from 117-111 to 115-113
    If Joe was losing, he would just machine gun Ward with a million punches per round and just take them on sheer volume.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    4,288
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    418
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Ward vs Calzaghe

    Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by powerpuncher View Post
    Calzaghe definitely wins some rounds because he is busy, but Ward is fast and accurate. He would be able to time Calzaghe and land some hard shots. And Ward can fight so many styles to where I think he slows him down quite a bit by his tactics.

    I think the scorecards would be anywhere from 117-111 to 115-113
    If Joe was losing, he would just machine gun Ward with a million punches per round and just take them on sheer volume.
    Great fighters slow down volume punchers. I don't think Joe would be throwing a ton of punches come the mid rounds because Ward would be making him pay

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    58,060
    Mentioned
    1517 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    2758
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Ward vs Calzaghe

    Quote Originally Posted by powerpuncher View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by powerpuncher View Post
    Calzaghe definitely wins some rounds because he is busy, but Ward is fast and accurate. He would be able to time Calzaghe and land some hard shots. And Ward can fight so many styles to where I think he slows him down quite a bit by his tactics.

    I think the scorecards would be anywhere from 117-111 to 115-113
    If Joe was losing, he would just machine gun Ward with a million punches per round and just take them on sheer volume.
    Great fighters slow down volume punchers. I don't think Joe would be throwing a ton of punches come the mid rounds because Ward would be making him pay
    Joe had a way to dig deep and throw relentless punches. After a disastrous start against B Hop he just went into assault mode and B Hop could not cope and went all negative.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Brighton
    Posts
    5,319
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    938
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Ward vs Calzaghe

    Quote Originally Posted by Primo Carnera View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Primo Carnera View Post
    Ward isn't alien to making adjustments either. Like you said, BHOP gave Calzaghe problems, so a version 10-15 years younger might just beat him. Ward for me.
    You are Italian that is sacrilegious!
    I know mate, I went to watch Joe live a few times as well and I like him, but just trying to tell it as it is.
    Having said that , Joe would've beaten every other British SMW there has been, hands down.
    So how does it feel that Britain's Rea test ever SMW was in fact ITALIAN? ������������

    Mate, I know you say this kind of thing all the time, and I THINK it's a bit tongue-in-cheek, but would you truly consider Calzaghe to be more of an Italian than a Welshman?
    For most people he's a Brit/Welsh with Italian heritage.

    Also, I'm pretty sure I've seen logic of yours in regards to other fighters that if applied to Calzaghe would preclude him being primarily 'Italian' .
    Saddo Fantasy Premier League
    2011/12 - 2nd
    2012/13 -1st Hidden Content
    2013/14 - 3rd (Master won)

    Saddo World Cup Dream Team
    2014 - 1st Hidden Content

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    6,290
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    470
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Ward vs Calzaghe

    Quote Originally Posted by ryanman View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Primo Carnera View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Primo Carnera View Post
    Ward isn't alien to making adjustments either. Like you said, BHOP gave Calzaghe problems, so a version 10-15 years younger might just beat him. Ward for me.
    You are Italian that is sacrilegious!
    I know mate, I went to watch Joe live a few times as well and I like him, but just trying to tell it as it is.
    Having said that , Joe would've beaten every other British SMW there has been, hands down.
    So how does it feel that Britain's Rea test ever SMW was in fact ITALIAN? ������������

    Mate, I know you say this kind of thing all the time, and I THINK it's a bit tongue-in-cheek, but would you truly consider Calzaghe to be more of an Italian than a Welshman?
    For most people he's a Brit/Welsh with Italian heritage.

    Also, I'm pretty sure I've seen logic of yours in regards to other fighters that if applied to Calzaghe would preclude him being primarily 'Italian' .
    Mate, you're right, it is a bit tongue in cheek, but I do disagree with you slightly. I see him more as Welsh/Italian , British doesn't come into it. He clearly feels that way as well.
    He used to have the Welsh and Italian flags on his shorts , but I never saw a Union Jack.
    This is the age old theme where if he's Welsh (or Scottish or Irish) and he's unsuccessful, then he's Welsh. But if he's Welsh and successful, then he's BRITISH.
    Whereas if he's English and successful, he's English.
    He's clearly Welsh and I'm not really trying to claim him for Italy, that's for him to do himself.
    But I know for an absolute fact that he feels more Italian than he does English or even British.
    Former Undisputed 4 belt Prediction champion. Still P4P and People’s Champion.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    The Edge Of Nowhere
    Posts
    22,828
    Mentioned
    849 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    1086
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Ward vs Calzaghe

    Quote Originally Posted by Primo Carnera View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanman View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Primo Carnera View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Primo Carnera View Post
    Ward isn't alien to making adjustments either. Like you said, BHOP gave Calzaghe problems, so a version 10-15 years younger might just beat him. Ward for me.
    You are Italian that is sacrilegious!
    I know mate, I went to watch Joe live a few times as well and I like him, but just trying to tell it as it is.
    Having said that , Joe would've beaten every other British SMW there has been, hands down.
    So how does it feel that Britain's Rea test ever SMW was in fact ITALIAN? ������������

    Mate, I know you say this kind of thing all the time, and I THINK it's a bit tongue-in-cheek, but would you truly consider Calzaghe to be more of an Italian than a Welshman?
    For most people he's a Brit/Welsh with Italian heritage.

    Also, I'm pretty sure I've seen logic of yours in regards to other fighters that if applied to Calzaghe would preclude him being primarily 'Italian' .
    Mate, you're right, it is a bit tongue in cheek, but I do disagree with you slightly. I see him more as Welsh/Italian , British doesn't come into it. He clearly feels that way as well.
    He used to have the Welsh and Italian flags on his shorts , but I never saw a Union Jack.
    This is the age old theme where if he's Welsh (or Scottish or Irish) and he's unsuccessful, then he's Welsh. But if he's Welsh and successful, then he's BRITISH.
    Whereas if he's English and successful, he's English.
    He's clearly Welsh and I'm not really trying to claim him for Italy, that's for him to do himself.
    But I know for an absolute fact that he feels more Italian than he does English or even British.
    Despite being born in England and Wales being in Britain.
    Hidden Content

    "I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it."

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Similar Threads

  1. Ward vs. Calzaghe- Supermiddleweight.
    By ykdadamaja in forum Boxing Talk
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 11-30-2014, 12:23 PM
  2. Calzaghe v Ward
    By ross in forum Boxing Talk
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 06-08-2013, 02:55 PM
  3. Team Ward dare Joe Calzaghe to come out of retirement
    By Tam Seddon in forum Boxing Talk
    Replies: 98
    Last Post: 09-22-2012, 05:16 PM
  4. Joe Calzaghe talks about the Ward-Froch fight.
    By porkypara in forum Boxing Talk
    Replies: 51
    Last Post: 03-11-2012, 03:31 PM
  5. Joe Calzaghe: Andre Ward is good but beatable
    By FinitoElDinamita in forum Boxing Talk
    Replies: 165
    Last Post: 12-26-2011, 03:24 PM

Bookmarks

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  





Boxing | Boxing Photos | Boxing News | Boxing Videos | Boxing Forum | Boxing Books | Boxing Posters | Learn to Box | Advanced Fighting Methods | Boxing Rankings | Boxing Schedule | Auctions | Fun and Games | Boxing Equipment

Copyright © 2000 - 2019 Saddo Boxing - Boxing