Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default re: Favourite Martial Arts Film

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Did you ever watch Monkey which was a series about a Buddha that had to travel to India accompanied by the monkey king, a pig and fish man?
    [begin Travis Bickle voice]

You talkin' to me?

[/voice]

sorry for the movies geek humor

IIRC, that story is one of 4 pieces of Chinese Classical Literature one of which is the story you mentioned and is called "Journey to the West"

There are a whole bunch of movies and tv shows based on the Monkey King aka Monkey. Very popular in Chinese Culture as well as Asian culture. Say Monkey King and almost anyone will recognize the story.

In the late 1960's and/or early 1970's oldschool Shaw Brothers had 3 movies. Will look up titles for any that are interested tomorrow.

Dicky Cheung was awesome in the 1986(? may be early 90's) TVB tv series, Journey to the West I. Gordon Liu aka Master Killer played Monkey King's friend, Bull Demon King in that series

Upcoming Donnie Yen movie will have Donnie playing the Monkey King. Not knocking Donnie, I am a huge fan, but Monkey King is playful/mischievous/frivolous... not sure if Donnie can play that. I hope he can! Used to him playing cocky characters lol

Early 2000's Japanese movie called Saiyuki is also based on it. My kids saw it and liked it. I was busy and couldn't join them.

Dragonball Z is a variation of the story. Anime called Midnight Eye is also similar.

long day at work...leaving now.
    "A good stickgrappler has good stick skills, good grappling, & good stickgrappling & can keep track of all 3 simultaneously. This is a good trick & can be quite effective." - Marc 'Crafty Dog' Denny

Mentioned
    1676 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yes I was talking to you.

This was the one.
    Attached Images
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

This was the one.

another long day at work (boss off - i'm flying solo)... that vaguely looks like the Japanese movie recently called Saiyuki (Sai = West Yu = should mean travel and Ki = is like record/notes/not book but almost like book - so Japanese Saiyuki = Journey to the West -- in Mandarin Chinese it's in pinyin Xi You Ji and Cantonese is Sai Yau Gei.

Monkey is known as Sun Wu-kong in Mandarin and Cantonese is Shu Mm Hung. DOn't remember the Japanese name for Monkey, may be Sun Goku (dragonball z has a 'goku' also, he was alien came to earth, had a tail like a monkey, in original, he flew on clouds and carried a staff -- much like Monkey King)

anime Midnight Eye Goku - has as its protagonist named Goku, although it's in a cyberpunkish near-future, goku uses a staff that can shrink or enlarge... much like Monkey King's.

googling in a few mins and be back
    "A good stickgrappler has good stick skills, good grappling, & good stickgrappling & can keep track of all 3 simultaneously. This is a good trick & can be quite effective." - Marc 'Crafty Dog' Denny

Mentioned
    1676 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Stickgrappler View Post

This was the one.

another long day at work (boss off - i'm flying solo)... that vaguely looks like the Japanese movie recently called Saiyuki (Sai = West Yu = should mean travel and Ki = is like record/notes/not book but almost like book - so Japanese Saiyuki = Journey to the West -- in Mandarin Chinese it's in pinyin Xi You Ji and Cantonese is Sai Yau Gei.

Monkey is known as Sun Wu-kong in Mandarin and Cantonese is Shu Mm Hung. DOn't remember the Japanese name for Monkey, may be Sun Goku (dragonball z has a 'goku' also, he was alien came to earth, had a tail like a monkey, in original, he flew on clouds and carried a staff -- much like Monkey King)

anime Midnight Eye Goku - has as its protagonist named Goku, although it's in a cyberpunkish near-future, goku uses a staff that can shrink or enlarge... much like Monkey King's.

My sons loves Dragon Ball Z and Goku.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Stickgrappler View Post

This was the one.

My sons loves Dragon Ball Z and Goku.
    They have good tastes! lol

Four Great Classical Novels - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia = Water Margin, Journey to the West, Romance of the Three Kingdoms, Dream of the Red Chamber

Saiyûki (2007) - IMDb -- that pic you posted Master, should be from this movie, Saiyuki aka Monkey Magic aka The Adventures of Super Monkey

This IMO captures Monkey's character the best - Dicky Cheung in the Hong Kong tv series - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Journey...1996_TV_series)

Donnie Yen's version - i'm firewalled from this site while at work... but generally it's a good site with info -- Donnie Yen is THE MONKEY KING | Twitch

List of media adaptations of Journey to the West - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

has all the versions of the story so far, I was wrong, Shaw Brothers made 4 not 3 movies!

oh yeah, Forbidden Kingdom with Jet Li AND Jackie Chan had Jet as the Monkey King

and HOLY CRAP! THis could be the best one yet or the worst eva:

"Journey to the West (upcoming). In March 2011, Neil Gaiman announced plans to pen a screen adaptation of Journey to the West at the request of television producer Zhang Jizhong. Guillermo del Toro, screenwriter of The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey, is rumoured as a possible director, and James Cameron will also consult on the film.[18]"

Mentioned
    448 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

BTW, If you get pulled over by the police and they say you were speeding it doenst work well speaking in the voice of Monkey,,,"Ah what would you know? You're just a pig".
    Hidden Content " border="0" />

I can explain it.
    But I cant understand it for you.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Bwahahah

Mentioned
    1676 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I loved Water Margin but Monkey was the best.

I have not watched forbidden king yet.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I loved Water Margin but Monkey was the best.

I have not watched forbidden king yet.
    it was ok, too bad both jet and jackie are older when they finally teamed up in a movie, despite the both of them, i didn't love the movie, i was like eh on it

Mentioned
    1676 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Road house quality film and Patrick Swayze was the coolest person on the planet.

Mentioned
    1676 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Watched Dragon ball Evolution kids liked it.

Mentioned
    948 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

My stepson used to love dragon ball Z. Water Margin and Monkey were awesome. My grandson loves Waybuloo which is more yoga and chi gung than martial arts but then he is only 18 months. :-) Gotta love Bruce Lee, also liked the ninja series of films in the 80s and the David Carradine Kung Fu TV series. Kill Bill more recently.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Tai Chi master is brilliant, as is The Evil Cult
    The Best There Is, The Best There Was, The Best There Ever Will Be

Mentioned
    1676 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post
    Tai Chi master is brilliant, as is The Evil Cult
    Looked it up, that was fun. There should be a channel dedicated to martial arts films.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'm a huge kung fu fan & have just as big a collection

Iron Monkey (Donnie Zen) is pretty good

The last Ip Man. The legend is born was great

Still love Ninja checkmate, that move is just one fight after another! Ghost-Faced killer!
    The Best There Is, The Best There Was, The Best There Ever Will Be

Thread Information