Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Today In Biden Land

Quote Originally Posted by Kirkland Laing View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by palmerq View Post
    This is the most likely reason the Taliban are playing nice:

https://twitter.com/aahmady/status/1427883009164955649
    This is a pretty good thread, good posting...

So what will China do here? Surely they will be concerned about the Taliban inciting stuff in west China maybe? And the Chinese do like their belt and road iniative but if the Taliban reportedly bugger all money so surely the Chinese can't loan em that much, but they also have a lot invested in the famously calm Pakistan and if the Taliban start rabble rousing there maybe the Chinese will pay/help them to behave?.. This can't be good for China though, which of course would be good for America.

Also in continuation of the mindless ramblings @Kirkland Laing there is a Canadian election coming up and the economy is of course the big talking point, now you know about this stuff is there any reputable economist gits(bit like krugman) who write about the Canadian economy that you know of? I'm as clueless about these matters as usual.

China don't give a shit about authoritarian regimes and will happily deal with the Taliban. Lots of lithium and other minerals in Afghanistan, China will want first dibs on all of it. The Taliban are basically a creature of the Pakistan intelligence service, they're not going to do anything to upset Pakistan, China or anybody else. They'll be looking to make commercial deals with both of them and gain at least two allies. The last thing they want to do is upset either of them.

Canadian politics don't really matter as you have nice moderate parties and nice moderate policies. The liberals get in for a while and shift things a little to the left then the conservatives get in and shift things a little to the right and they just basically take turns at running the country. No drama and good results.

You fuckers dodged a bullet by not being a big enough market for Rupert Murdoch to turn up and fuck your politics up. Out of the English speaking countries you, Ireland and New Zealand got lucky. Australia, Britain and especially the United States got the poison. You did have Conrad Black but he's nothing compared to what Murdoch does to your politics.
    Aha fair point.. So the Taliban are sort of buggered and bent over a barrel by the superpowers?... China can bail them out a bit and get mining and the Americans have all their money and can withhold it until they get their guys out or whatever they want..

And yes luckily Canadian politics and news is a good bit calmer than America and the Conservatives seem pretty reasonable this time round too(he's talking about a carbon tax)... I do worry the crazies are making Their way over though, I've noticed an increase in some of the more extreme ramblings from some people... Although none of them have much of a problem with me being an immigrant which is nice............. :S

Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post
    All I know is Trump fans are having a field day with what's going on in Afghanistan. Not that they need much encouragement to throw rocks at Biden.

The truth of the matter in a nutshell is that the U.S. has fukked up in Afghanistan since Day One. Biden's horribly planned (or lack thereof) retreat has had a terrible human cost... and more is yet to come.

The basic difference between a few years ago and now is that some of us can criticize Biden when it's merited, without holding back.

A few years ago... the incumbent walked on water and could do nothing wrong.
    I have noticed a newfound empathy(from some) for people who live in terrible conditions under brutal regimes, it's nice to see that some fellows are now thinking the way these foreigners are treated isn't right....I mean imagine if someone suggested these guys should stay over there in their own shithole countries and fight to improve things instead of abandoning it! (I know, every other country but Afghanistan is fine) .........
    It really is great that more people understand their plight now.... And I can only assume this will be a long lasting change in the way we view asylum seekers... Especially if we can blast one political party for it!

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

So what will China do here? Surely they will be concerned about the Taliban inciting stuff in west China maybe? And the Chinese do like their belt and road iniative but if the Taliban reportedly bugger all money so surely the Chinese can't loan em that much, but they also have a lot invested in the famously calm Pakistan and if the Taliban start rabble rousing there maybe the Chinese will pay/help them to behave?.. This can't be good for China though, which of course would be good for America.

Also in continuation of the mindless ramblings @Kirkland Laing there is a Canadian election coming up and the economy is of course the big talking point, now you know about this stuff is there any reputable economist gits(bit like krugman) who write about the Canadian economy that you know of? I'm as clueless about these matters as usual.

China don't give a shit about authoritarian regimes and will happily deal with the Taliban. Lots of lithium and other minerals in Afghanistan, China will want first dibs on all of it. The Taliban are basically a creature of the Pakistan intelligence service, they're not going to do anything to upset Pakistan, China or anybody else. They'll be looking to make commercial deals with both of them and gain at least two allies. The last thing they want to do is upset either of them.

Canadian politics don't really matter as you have nice moderate parties and nice moderate policies. The liberals get in for a while and shift things a little to the left then the conservatives get in and shift things a little to the right and they just basically take turns at running the country. No drama and good results.

You fuckers dodged a bullet by not being a big enough market for Rupert Murdoch to turn up and fuck your politics up. Out of the English speaking countries you, Ireland and New Zealand got lucky. Australia, Britain and especially the United States got the poison. You did have Conrad Black but he's nothing compared to what Murdoch does to your politics.
    Aha fair point.. So the Taliban are sort of buggered and bent over a barrel by the superpowers?... China can bail them out a bit and get mining and the Americans have all their money and can withhold it until they get their guys out or whatever they want..

And yes luckily Canadian politics and news is a good bit calmer than America and the Conservatives seem pretty reasonable this time round too(he's talking about a carbon tax)... I do worry the crazies are making Their way over though, I've noticed an increase in some of the more extreme ramblings from some people... Although none of them have much of a problem with me being an immigrant which is nice............. :S

I was saying a couple of days ago about how a lot of the Afghan players looked to have agreed a lot of stuff in advance of the Taliban storming through the country in a few days:

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/edblog...s-coverage-but

Where did you immigrate to Canada from? I had you down as French Canadian.

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I was saying a couple of days ago about how a lot of the Afghan players looked to have agreed a lot of stuff in advance of the Taliban storming through the country in a few days:

Must be Scotland.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post

Must be Scotland.

His English is far too good for him to be Scottish.

Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

You gits, I am from Scotland originally and speak and type terrible English like any good self depricating scotsman:S... Actually don't think I've even been a Canadian citizen for a year yet immigration timelines all blend together, I've lived in Canada for a few years though and I'm not leaving.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

https://twitter.com/Charles_Lister/s...65865593868293

It's a matter of time before things go very wrong in Kabul.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

You gits, I am from Scotland originally and speak and type terrible English like any good self depricating scotsman:S... Actually don't think I've even been a Canadian citizen for a year yet immigration timelines all blend together, I've lived in Canada for a few years though and I'm not leaving.

Where are you in Canada?

Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Around the Vancouver area but obviously not in Vancouver because I'm not a millionaire :S

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Around the Vancouver area but obviously not in Vancouver because I'm not a millionaire :S
    I have loads of relatives that live in Surrey, Vancouver. Beautiful place makes our country look like a hell hole.

Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    I have loads of relatives that live in Surrey, Vancouver. Beautiful place makes our country look like a hell hole.
    Yes this area is world class scenery wise. I don't think there is a big difference either way for quality of life when comparing this part of Canada and where I lived in Britain though, both have good and bad things... But that is not the topic of the thread so I will cease and desist my pro Canuck propaganda for now.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yeah... back to the topic at hand.

https://www.npr.org/2021/08/22/10301...tan-evacuation

"Biden Touts 'Incredible' Evacuation Operation From Kabul, But Warns Of Ongoing Danger"

Sorry... I don't buy the "touting." Too bad all pro-Trump fans have evacuated this forum... because right now I'd be agreeing with them about just how badly this administration screwed this up.

Hostile Country Evacuation 101 -

First you systematically and safely evacuate American citizens, while maintaining sufficient military presence to ensure the operation. This includes control of the airport and/or other ports of exit.

Then... you begin to withdraw other key personnel not vital to the military presence that must be maintained throughout the evacuation.

And so on and so forth.

In short... there is (or should be) some heavy-duty logistics involved to ensure everything goes well, safely, and according to plan.

This not only to guarantee the safety of all evacuees... but to avoid looking foolish to the rest of the world.

It's not like the U.S. hasn't had practice at this already.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

omg not one of them has a mask or is social distancing
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

That is because they do not believe in the virus.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post
    Yeah... back to the topic at hand.

https://www.npr.org/2021/08/22/10301...tan-evacuation

"Biden Touts 'Incredible' Evacuation Operation From Kabul, But Warns Of Ongoing Danger"

Sorry... I don't buy the "touting." Too bad all pro-Trump fans have evacuated this forum... because right now I'd be agreeing with them about just how badly this administration screwed this up.

Hostile Country Evacuation 101 -

First you systematically and safely evacuate American citizens, while maintaining sufficient military presence to ensure the operation. This includes control of the airport and/or other ports of exit.

Then... you begin to withdraw other key personnel not vital to the military presence that must be maintained throughout the evacuation.

And so on and so forth.

In short... there is (or should be) some heavy-duty logistics involved to ensure everything goes well, safely, and according to plan.

This not only to guarantee the safety of all evacuees... but to avoid looking foolish to the rest of the world.

It's not like the U.S. hasn't had practice at this already.

If they'd started evacuating earlier the Afghan army would have collapsed even faster and Biden would be getting the blame for the collapse of the army. There's no good way this could have worked out.

With the benefit of hindsight once the provincial capitals stated falling the military should have told Biden to surge thousands of troops into the country but then you'd have the US military eventually retrating and leaving the country chased out by the Taliban and thousands of Americans who were out in the provinces taken hostage etc etc. It's a horrific situation any way you look at it. This is probably the least worst scenario once the Afghan army had folded up overnight. Still really bad though. Lots of blame to go round.

Thread Information