Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: discouragged

just take a break have fun for a week, gonna try train for 3 weeks on and then one week off routine

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I agree with Missy, if you loosing some of that boxing-jive you need to loosen up. Training can be a real grind at times, that's why there is something called "fun" Go clubbing, grab some buds, some drinks and just lose yourself. The best antidote for the blues is all-out fun!

As for motivation, look up the great fighters. Last time I looked, I got to understand pugs that I previously knew little about, got to know what kind of school of hard knocks they went through. There's so many larger-than-life folks out there, all you gotta do is look. And my god, if you can't find inspiration in the living, how the hell can you be inspired about life.
    Rocky Marciano, Julio Cezar Chavez, Jersey Joe Walcott are the best in my book.

I wouldn't go as far as to say drop it, but if there's something that you'd love to do more, go for it. For me there's nothing more fun that to slip on a pair a gloves, it makes me feel like a different person, and boxing is where I find my groove. It could be your gym, you if all else fails you can check out other gyms to find a fit. Get a coach that'll motivate you, show you the ropes, and can show you what you got and what ya gotta do.

Hows the atmosphere at the gym, (sparring partners, skull practice, Equipment)
    If you hear a voice within you saying that I am not a painter, then by all means paint and that voice will be silenced.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Rocky,
    thanks for the great advice! I actually started rading George Foreman's biography and it's pretty cool. Helps me get inside a boxer's mind. I know Jane Couch wrote her autobiography so that will be next on my list. My favorite part about boxing is the psychology behing it..
    My gym is actually pretty cool. My tainer is pretty well known in the bizz and is a great teacher. I just started sparring and that alone is getting me motivated. I did pretty good according to him eventhough I missed alot cuz the guy I was sparring was so good a ducking and weaving. I can't wait to get back in the ring, and sharpen my skills...
    Thanks to everyone else about their input. I know that at a certain point every athlete must have moments of dissapointment, lack of motivation...but for some reason...we just don't quit...
    Sin

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Good luck with that, and let the good times roll, sparring is a big turning point as you get a fist-full of action, don't let the petty stuff get ya down, just keep your guard up, and listen to your trainer, and showthem that you can be boss.

If you ever get unmotivated, as I said before, look up the people who make sport fun. George Foreman is a neat fella and still has plenty of sass and charisma is his old age. I hear he's gone back into boxing to show his kids that anything's possibal, and I'd like to check out the old pug's upcoming bouts, just to see if he can still make a big impression.

If ya got any questions, you know where to shoot,

-Regards, Rocky
    If you hear a voice within you saying that I am not a painter, then by all means paint and that voice will be silenced.

Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I was wondeing from the top if you were discouraged because sparring wasn't going well, or if you hadn't sparred yet because sometimes that will start you thinking its because you aren't goo enough and everyone else sees it. Glad the sparring went well. As to the missing of punches- well, I'm assuming you had never sparred prior to that?- that is typical of nearly everybody's fist few times in the ring. You've been hitting the heavy bag but it doesn't have a brain and its isn't plotting to hirt back;. Did you find your self often too far away so that punches landed with nothing on them, or so close you had no room and smothered your own blows? Shorten up your stance a bit, my friend, and when you hit the heavy bag concentrate on snapping your punches, not rolling into them. Don't hit the double-end bag unless its coming towards you, and when shadow boxing watch the mirror being alert to things that might telegraph your punches. Having a new awareness and focus on familiar things makes you diligent and landing a couple cllean on a guy you couldn't hit last week is lways ggod for the heart

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

i know i dont go to a gym and what not but normaly wen i loose intrest(witch iz neva lol)
    i would watch a rocky film normaly 1,2,3 or 4

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Greynotsoold,
    Thanks for the advice. I had lost motivation cuz I felt stagnated. Now that I managed to built up my cardio I'm starting to spar which is real cool. The guy I was sparring is much better then me and was willing to be my mooving target and work with me.He kept ducking and rolling. I did mannage a couple of body shots otherwise I just kept jabbing and working in the right...Hey! when in doupt just jab,jab,jab right? As my coach said I just need to get the confidence up there, and work on my timming which was off...I can not wait to get back in...my coach said i did pretty well tho... I can't wait until I get better and start landing some ...

Sin

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

im gonna start boxing soon,and im worried im going to be going through the same problems as you did as i also have depression problems. and sadly i just cant see myself turning it around like you did. hopefully i dont though cuz i love boxing and i hope to spend the rest of my life being a part of it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hey Chico don't worry about depression workin out will help it trust me i have such bad depression that i was on loads of meds for it but when i started boxing and workin out every day my depression started to lession and i started taking less and less meds tell now im only on 60mg a day witch is about 600 mg less then before. but i found out that if i stop and just sit around and be lazy and not have fun or work out the depression comes back full on. so if you think the depression will cause you problems i hope this helpes a little bit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

boxing is a perfect cure for depression. excersize releases endorphins, the bodys happy hormones.
    the more you excersize the more of these bitches your gonna produce and the happier your gonna get. i dont know about you, but when i go to boxing i kill myself and feel great (but achy) the next day.

like today i got this buzz going on, and yesterda i worked so hard i vomited!

Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Getting discouraged is almost daily in boxing; she ias a demanding jealous bich and it can never be good enough to please. But it is something worthwhile and special to even have the courage and the opportuinity to try; I am sure that a vast majority on this ste know what I mean , There are boxers and there are humans and , damn, are they missing out! Every day in the gym has its bits and pieces of diappointment- if you are very attuned to it, evry critical and demanding, there will always be something, even on those red-letter days that you feel as if you could fly. you can always come back tomorrow and try again, unless of course you come to realize that it just ain't your true calling; this isn't for everyone and there are precious few Roinsons out there. But if/when you hang 'em up you still tried- you had to be budgeoned out of what most fear to even try. Now, back in the days of fairly old yore, I suffered a pretty good hernia and a back injury. I was sore a few days but generally ignored it and went on with things. That was easy to do because I was in shape- 6'3", walking around @183- ad pain goes away. Ten years or so down the road and I can't hit the bags much ;my left shoulder ain't what it was, the back aches and the hernia don't help. So by now- a couple weeks ao I can barely move I'm sore and stiff all the time. A friend gets on me about it ad you know how when that spirit rises up...He gets me doing a variety of stretching exercises and I feel great . The only day I've felt bad since then was when when we didn't exercise. Doing pushups- building some strength back in the shoulder- and another day or two and 'll be hitting my chinups unassist, even if it is onlya couple of them. . It'll take longer than before to get my punches sharp but it'll come... The whole point of this being don't let discouragement throttle you until it becomes depression and takes your wind. If what happened in the gym ain't as you had hoped, why? Start there then fixit then fight it. Because it isn't about winning its about the fight, my friends

Thread Information