Thread: Is Mayweather a all time great?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Is Mayweather a all time great?

Quote Originally Posted by bradlee180 View Post
    Care to name 20 guys who deserved to be ranked above Mayweather p4p of all time?
    1. Sugar Ray Robinson
    2. Henry Armstrong
    3. Muhammad Ali
    4. Joe Louis
    5. Roberto Duran
    6. Willie Pep
    7. Harry Greb
    8. Benny Leonard
    9. Manny Pacquiao
    9. Sugar Ray Leonard
    10. Pernell Whitaker
    11. Carlos Monzon
    12. Rocky Marciano
    13. Ezzard Charles
    14. Archie Moore
    15. Sandy Saddler
    16. Jack Dempsey
    17. Marvin Hagler
    18. Julio Cesar Chavez
    19. Eder Jofre
    20. Alexis Arguello
    21. Barney Ross
    22. Evander Holyfield
    23. Ike Williams
    24. Salvador Sanchez
    25. George Foreman
    26. Kid Gavilian
    27. Larry Holmes
    Of course, great list. Mayweather's opposition could never compare to the opposition of those guys LOL

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Bradlee come on man... All those guys rank better than Money lb for lb ATG

You gotta be joking!!!

Had you wanted to promote someone like Ray Robinson based on his record or Ray Leonard on his talent I can respect that but a lot of that list is ridiculous.
    "Enough with the games mate! Your messing with the Grand Master!"

Lennox Lewis

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

No, Mayweather's not all All-Time Great.

He's a very good defensive boxer, but not a Great fighter.
    One of the most well-schooled nowadays.

Too many top guys that he didn't fight, or didn't fight in their prime.
    He always stacked the deck in every way imaginable.

Floyd is not & never will be one of the ATG's. The reason for this is totally his own fault.
    He has the natural God Given talent to be an ATG but lacks the heart & cojones of a real champion. He has cherry picked his opponents , blatantly ducking those considered dangerous. He ha made demands on all opponents he has forced them to come to his home town , Vegas he wont attempt to fight anywhere else. He knows all he has to do is be standing at the final bell & he wins in Vegas.
    The sad part is that if Floyd had faced Paquaio, Margarito, Cotto, Williams etc when he should have he could well have beaten them all. Then maybe he would really be the ATG he self proclaims to be. But he didn't so Floyd will always be nothing more than a very talented wanna beee. What a waste of incredible talent
    Keep on Punchin"
    C.J.
    Hidden Content we love C.J.Hidden Content

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by C.J.Rock View Post

Floyd is not & never will be one of the ATG's. The reason for this is totally his own fault.
    He has the natural God Given talent to be an ATG but lacks the heart & cojones of a real champion. He has cherry picked his opponents , blatantly ducking those considered dangerous. He ha made demands on all opponents he has forced them to come to his home town , Vegas he wont attempt to fight anywhere else. He knows all he has to do is be standing at the final bell & he wins in Vegas.
    The sad part is that if Floyd had faced Paquaio, Margarito, Cotto, Williams etc when he should have he could well have beaten them all. Then maybe he would really be the ATG he self proclaims to be. But he didn't so Floyd will always be nothing more than a very talented wanna beee. What a waste of incredible talent

It's incredible to me that someone could actually believe that. Unreal.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Lol Bradlee put Pac over Leonard what a fucking nut huger you are dude. Pac lost in his early days and also never beat Jmm convincingly ever then got koed by a 40 year old version. If you don't list Mayweather then Pac is not a atg either there both in top 20 i have Mayweather above Pac don't even like him and have him ahead. Mayweather had a few close fights in his career one at the start one when he was 37 but you could make a argument that he won them. Pac move up was pretty much him beating the guys Mayweather already did and making them cut more weight to have advantage. He lost to a ageing Morales who was coming off a loss why did Pac not fight the man who outboxed Morales. 135 he beat diaz big fucking deal, and then there was 154 he beat Margarito who just came off the worst ass beating ever i mean come on dude. Pac beast wins are Barrea, Morles and Jmm who he was gifted he not even the best fighter in the past 25 years like you said earlier i say Lewis was higher then him. Look i know you fucking hate Mayweather and all but for fuck sake try to have some fucking knowledge besides being a fan of one guy.
    Last edited by Mr140; 05-05-2014 at 07:10 AM.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Floyd will probably be considered an ATG because of how long he's held the public's attention. Being such a polarizing figure in the world of boxing for so long, he's played it right. 50 years from now there will be very little discussion of his opposition or anything of that nature. We know this because in a historical lens there are fewer and fewer historians amongst us in the boxing world. You see a much more common Rocky Marciano as the undefeated fighter as opposed to who did Rocky Marciano fight? Was his opposition faded? Sugar Ray Robinson won 170ish fights, what were his signature victories?
    History favors the news makers and that's something Floyd has done his entire career.

Personally I don't discount Floyd's record, he has some very good wins over respectable opponents. Could he have taken more risks? Sure, but in this era it has been shown that the money goes to those that manage their careers, rather than those who fight all the best challenges. Take for instance Cotto, he has done well but he will never earn the money or have the ongoing discussion about him that Mayweather does. Consistently over the last decade only two boxers have had their names plastered in the headlines Pacquiao and Mayweather.

At the end of the day, I am skeptical about any ATG or P4P list, as they all opinion and ignore the differences in eras.
    Last edited by killersheep; 05-05-2014 at 07:22 AM.
    For every story told that divides us, I believe there are a thousand untold that unite us.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

yes, without a doubt. it just depends where you rank him among the ATG's.

Mentioned
    159 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Of course Floyd is an ATG.
    Remember reality is an illusion caused by a lack of alcohol .

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Care to name 20 guys who deserved to be ranked above Mayweather p4p of all time?
    1. Sugar Ray Robinson
    2. Henry Armstrong
    3. Muhammad Ali
    4. Joe Louis
    5. Roberto Duran
    6. Willie Pep
    7. Harry Greb
    8. Benny Leonard
    9. Manny Pacquiao
    9. Sugar Ray Leonard
    10. Pernell Whitaker
    11. Carlos Monzon
    12. Rocky Marciano
    13. Ezzard Charles
    14. Archie Moore
    15. Sandy Saddler
    16. Jack Dempsey
    17. Marvin Hagler
    18. Julio Cesar Chavez
    19. Eder Jofre
    20. Alexis Arguello
    21. Barney Ross
    22. Evander Holyfield
    23. Ike Williams
    24. Salvador Sanchez
    25. George Foreman
    26. Kid Gavilian
    27. Larry Holmes
    you had me thinking that you knew what you were talking about until 1)you put pac at #9 which is a red flag that you are a huge pac fan which means you hate floyd. even if somehow you ranked pac above floyd, there is no way to justify ranking him that much higher, and 2)there are names on your list i believe you are just naming because you have just heard they were good. for example, im a huge ike williams fan but he isnt even a top 5 lightweight of all time let alone better than floyd. and sanchez died at the age of 23 (i think), and yes he had good wins but didnt have a long enough career, enough signature wins or even look as good as floyd to claim that he was better. there are some others on your list that i could dispute too but it would be way too long.

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Beanflicker View Post

It's incredible to me that someone could actually believe that. Unreal.
    I reckon! Now what a moron!

Lennox Lewis

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I almost cannot believe some of the crap I am reading on this thread, the belittling of Floyd is disgraceful, I don't like the guy, I've said that plenty of times but to say he isn't an ATG is saddening and laughable.

I'm shocked. Shame on Bradlee! lol

Lennox Lewis

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

@Beanflicker - I don't think you should be too surprised that there people who view Mayweather's accomplishments as not quite at the same level as you might view them. There's no doubt he is a first ballot inductee to the Hall of Fame. There's also no doubt that in the last 25 years he is one of the top three boxers to fight. There's an aura, however, about some of historical fighters that eludes Mayweather.

Take Duran. Duran started out as a lightweight, moved on to welterweight, middleweight and then super middleweight. He fought Hagler, Hearns and Barkley at middleweight. I don't rate Martinez/GGG on the level of Hagler at middleweight, but it would be the equivalent of Mayweather moving up to middleweight and facing that type of competition. Keep in mind Duran was only 5'7. Those are risky fights for a guy his size. That kind of risk-taking endeared him to boxing fans and boxing historians. There is the impression that Mayweather hasn't taken those type of risks. He also isn't retired yet so let's withhold judgment.

Take Harry Greb too. I wrote a long post in another thread briefly explaining Greb's greatness that I'm not sure you had a chance to respond to. You'll see that in one year, not even his best year, he fought 4 future Hall of Famers when they were on their game, not post-prime, and 10 other title holder- level opponents. That's outright crazy. Times are different now, but still.

How many guys on Mayweather's CV will make the Hall of Fame and did Mayweather face them at their best? The Hall of Fame measure is subjective, but we can use it as a gauge.

Also, at this point, who would you say is Mayweather's signature victory when he was on top his game and the guy on the other side of the ring was on top of his game? Duran's Leonard. Tunney's Dempsey. etc. How would you compare that victory to the best victory of the greats?

Just so we're clear, throughout 2007-2011, there was this phenomenon that you either were a fan of Mayweather or Pacquiao, but not both. I don't subscribe to that idea. I like both guys. In my opinion, they're both greats.
    Last edited by Rantcatrat; 05-05-2014 at 10:19 PM.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Gayweather is a over priced prima donnas.... He prances around nobodies and hand picks these shop bought to suit....he is boring to watch and I can't remember the last time I did not fall a sleep watching this crock of rubbish....he's a big baby who spits his dummy when he cant get his own way😤

All Time Great....don't be ridiculous.... How old are you 12?

Job Biscuit (put that in Yer pipe and smoke it)!!!

eh eh!!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Ya hit the nail right on the head...

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

To have Manny #9 all time is a joke. I don't think he ever beat JMM. Floyd took JMM to school. I had the fight 9-3. I'm not saying Manny is not great. I am saying that Manny at his very best could never beat Money at his best. If fact JMM said the same thing, and he should know.

Thread Information