Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: True or false most pro boxers dont pivot the foot they push off it?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: True or false most pro boxers dont pivot the foot they push off it?

You have to know what you want. Speed or power. If you need power, use the full pivot, if you want to be fast, dont pivot on balls. If you want to do something in between, use the short pivot. Watch the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-kKY_NGM1Uw

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by takeshi View Post
    You have to know what you want. Speed or power. If you need power, use the full pivot, if you want to be fast, dont pivot on balls. If you want to do something in between, use the short pivot. Watch the video:

My game plan to fight him is be jab left hook. A pivot gives stability to structure... Also if that right-hand isn't strong putting my gloves and elbows on his chest and throw him around it's much harder to do when he pivots fully.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Thats a terrible right hand no matter what its thrown for. However i agree with the concept that every punch doesnt have to be balls to wall in terms of the pivot. Slight pivot for speed, more for power.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The stance isnt as important as how you move your feet, simply put move both feet if you move any, never just move one foot leaving the other behind, always bring it with you.easy if your on balance, bending at the hips sends you off balance Bobbing and weaving is very easy if you maintain good posture your hip flexus and glutes can fire to take the steps required. If ur posture is faulty then your gonna have problems with the steps unless ur hips are in very good working order.

Look up anterial/posterial pelvic tilt and cross syndrome to see how posture can effect mobility. Almost everyone has a postural deviancy of some sort and bending at the hips like the 3rd of dempsys figures can cause a lot of problems for these muscles in terms of activation.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The stance isnt as important as how you move your feet, simply put move both feet if you move any, never just move one foot leaving the other behind, always bring it with you.easy if your on balance, bending at the hips sends you off balance Bobbing and weaving is very easy if you maintain good posture your hip flexus and glutes can fire to take the steps required. If ur posture is faulty then your gonna have problems with the steps unless ur hips are in very good working order.

Look up anterial/posterial pelvic tilt and cross syndrome to see how posture can effect mobility. Almost everyone has a postural deviancy of some sort and bending at the hips like the 3rd of dempsys figures can cause a lot of problems for these muscles in terms of activation.

Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

That isn't a video to be watching if you are trying to learn how to do things properly. There isn't anything of value in that at all.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by greynotsoold View Post

That isn't a video to be watching if you are trying to learn how to do things properly. There isn't anything of value in that at all.
    What Grey says x2, its all show no go.
    Pain lasts a only a minute, but the memory will last forever....

boxingbournemouth - Cornelius Carrs private boxing tuition and personal fitness training

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by WayneFlint View Post

Can you explain please why the top gyms are teaching pivots including Mayweather's sidestep where he moves 1 foot at a time. a lot of boxers these days do pivots especially the Cubans they have a thing called Cuban small circles.https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ITk0W8Kl62Y
    Here's another Cuban example of small circular movements https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qLmaWnFjLiY

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by BCBUD View Post

Can you explain please why the top gyms are teaching pivots including Mayweather's sidestep where he moves 1 foot at a time. a lot of boxers these days do pivots especially the Cubans they have a thing called Cuban small circles.https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ITk0W8Kl62Y
    Here's another Cuban example of small circular movements https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qLmaWnFjLiY
    You misunderstood him. He said move both feet, not move them at the same time.

BTW that guy's pivots aren't done right, he's moving the body before the foot and the movement is way too big.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by jms View Post

BTW that guy's pivots aren't done right, he's moving the body before the foot and the movement is way too big.
    What's the difference if you're going to move both feet one at a time or both at the same time what's the difference?
    What he's doing is putting his weight on the front foot and moving the back foot like a compass.How do you move the body first on a pivot?the only way that the body can move is with the back leg moving first.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

What's the difference if you're going to move both feet one at a time or both at the same time what's the difference?
    What he's doing is putting his weight on the front foot and moving the back foot like a compass.How do you move the body first on a pivot?the only way that the body can move is with the back leg moving first.
    The difference is huge. If one foot moves the other has to or your stance is wrong. But you move one then the other or you have no balance and control.

I'm talking about the front foot.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The difference is huge. If one foot moves the other has to or your stance is wrong. But you move one then the other or you have no balance and control.

Still doesn't answer my question about pivots.yeah there's no balance if the stance is wrong but what I want to know that I don't know is why are top level coaches are wanting people to pivot off the front foot. Freddie roach told me that moving in and out is predictable so I guess that's why he doesn't want people going back out. the majority of the coaches Don't want you going back out when I've asked why they tell me because boxing is the sport of aggression.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Still doesn't answer my question about pivots.yeah there's no balance if the stance is wrong but what I want to know that I don't know is why are top level coaches are wanting people to pivot off the front foot. Freddie roach told me that moving in and out is predictable so I guess that's why he doesn't want people going back out. the majority of the coaches Don't want you going back out when I've asked why they tell me because boxing is the sport of aggression.
    What are you not understanding? Why people pivot?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The pivoting that I'm talking about is where the foot moves once while the other foot stays put. Wayne already clarified for various reasons that both feet must move. I agree with Wayne but my question is why are the other coaches not doing what he says to do?that again is move both feet?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The pivoting that I'm talking about is where the foot moves once while the other foot stays put. Wayne already clarified for various reasons that both feet must move. I agree with Wayne but my question is why are the other coaches not doing what he says to do?that again is move both feet?
    Both feet move when you pivot, one rotates the other swings around. And pivoting is different from stepping, both are necessary at different times.

Thread Information