Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    430 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Back in the mix...Jirov !!

After sitting out for more than two years it looks like 96' Olympic gold medalist,Cruiserweight champion and body cracking extraordinar Vassiliy The Tiger Jirov 37-3-1 (31) is on the comeback trail as a cruiserweight...where he belongs.He's reunited with his long time manager Ivaylu Gotzev and looking to regain his status in a deepening 190 division with a initial fight sometime in September against the indomitable and ever present "TBA".

Have always been a fan and will be interested in seeing this unfold,glad to see it.After a successful run as 190 Champion that came to a head with his tough foty worthy battle with a top form James Toney,Jirov traveled the path of many previous solid cruisers and went for the bigger bank roll as a heavyweight...bad move.He brought his rough and tumble fan friendly style in against heavily hyped and undefeated Joe Mesi,bouncing him off the deck a couple of times and I think he got shafted on the cards.That was followed by a tko loss to a much bigger Michael moorer after leading on the cards.After that he just faded away.

Returning after long layoffs can have mixed results,especially for fighters with Jirovs frontal oriented offense,a willing style and many years under the belt.I think the weight is key as he was never suited for heavyweight and once he sheds the rust it will be good to see him going against a top guy.Has always been a exciting bruising body hitter,I think one of the best of his time and has a deceptive accurate punch selection.Time will tell but Jirov vs Adamek trainwreck anyone ?.Will be watching!!!
    Last edited by Spicoli; 08-08-2009 at 05:51 PM.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Back in the mix...Jirov !!

I don't think it will go well for him. Better weight but he's taken too many punches I think. Hell he took more clean head shots in the Toney fight than some guys take in years.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I agree with Ouma don't think a comeback will go well for him....I liked him his first outing before his stint at HW...was a big fan.......Hopefully it is not another case o0f an ex champ not knowing when to stay away
    Hidden Content IN CASE THEY ALL FORGOT WHAT REAL HEAVYWEIGHT POWER WAS!!!

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

if he was able to come back as strong as he was before than i think a Adamek/Jirov fight would be classic, but i highly doubt he will, it's been a long time since he's fought at Cruiserweight, and he looked damn well near shot at heavy, there's always hope for one to succeed but i don't see this going well

ICB Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    After sitting out for more than two years it looks like 96' Olympic gold medalist,Cruiserweight champion and body cracking extraordinar Vassiliy The Tiger Jirov 37-3-1 (31) is on the comeback trail as a cruiserweight...where he belongs.He's reunited with his long time manager Ivaylu Gotzev and looking to regain his status in a deepening 190 division with a initial fight sometime in September against the indomitable and ever present "TBA".

Have always been a fan and will be interested in seeing this unfold,glad to see it.After a successful run as 190 Champion that came to a head with his tough foty worthy battle with a top form James Toney,Jirov traveled the path of many previous solid cruisers and went for the bigger bank roll as a heavyweight...bad move.He brought his rough and tumble fan friendly style in against heavily hyped and undefeated Joe Mesi,bouncing him off the deck a couple of times and I think he got shafted on the cards.That was followed by a tko loss to a much bigger Michael moorer after leading on the cards.After that he just faded away.

Returning after long layoffs can have mixed results,especially for fighters with Jirovs frontal oriented offense,a willing style and many years under the belt.I think the weight is key as he was never suited for heavyweight and once he sheds the rust it will be good to see him going against a top guy.Has always been a exciting bruising body hitter,I think one of the best of his time and has a deceptive accurate punch selection.Time will tell but Jirov vs Adamek trainwreck anyone ?.Will be watching!!!
    The performance that impressed me was his fight, against Terry McGroom. He KO'ed Terry McGroom with one perfect body shot, and this is the same Terry McGroom that lost a razor thin close decision, to James Toney. Yes James Toney had an off night, but still Terry McGroom's tactic's were still spot on.

Vassiliy Jirov is an all action fighter, and whats not too like about him ? im not sure how he will be after the lay off though, i can only see this ending in tears, but i wish him the best of luck. And by the way James Toney vs Vassiliy Jirov should of won the FOTY.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

he's apparently back with the old trainer he had, the one he dumped before the Toney fight. And he's been looking bad ever since. So maybe this is just what he needs at the right weight class. No real Cruiserweights to give him problems that I can see. Where is O'neil Bell?
    Life is still worth while If You Just Smile - MJ

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ICB View Post

The performance that impressed me was his fight, against Terry McGroom. He KO'ed Terry McGroom with one perfect body shot, and this is the same Terry McGroom that lost a razor thin close decision, to James Toney. Yes James Toney had an off night, but still Terry McGroom's tactic's were still spot on.

Vassiliy Jirov is an all action fighter, and whats not too like about him ? im not sure how he will be after the lay off though, i can only see this ending in tears, but i wish him the best of luck. And by the way James Toney vs Vassiliy Jirov should of won the FOTY.
    Better than Gatti-Ward III

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think it was actually. Of course I'm a huge Toney fan. I actually didn't think it was as close a fight as some did though which could count against it.

Majesty I suspect there's a good number of cruisers who could give him trouble.

ICB Guest

Quote Originally Posted by JazMerkin View Post

Yes no doubt in my mind i didn't think Arturo Gatti vs Micky Ward 3, was that great it was mostly one sided, except for the flash knockdown Micky Ward got. Where as in the James Toney fight, you see much more skillful fighting, better action, and it was more dramatic. Plus the 12th round is possibly one of the best rounds of the decade.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yes no doubt in my mind i didn't think Arturo Gatti vs Micky Ward 3, was that great it was mostly one sided, except for the flash knockdown Micky Ward got. Where as in the James Toney fight, you see much more skillful fighting, better action, and it was more dramatic. Plus the 12th round is possibly one of the best rounds of the decade.
    I thought that Gatti-Ward III was far more even, I think I had it 6-4 for Gatti, but I thought Toney-Jirov was almost all Toney, some fine skill levels, but for me it's overrated as a great exciting fight, I thought Toney won all but maybe 3 rounds. I know a lot of people rate it highly, but for me it wasn't a fight that I can watch again & again, in the way I can with the Gatti-Ward trilogy. I mean not that it's not an exciting fight, but for me it's exciting in the way Mayweather-Ndou was, high-pace but with one guy clearly dominating.

ICB Guest

I thought that Gatti-Ward III was far more even, I think I had it 6-4 for Gatti, but I thought Toney-Jirov was almost all Toney, some fine skill levels, but for me it's overrated as a great exciting fight, I thought Toney won all but maybe 3 rounds. I know a lot of people rate it highly, but for me it wasn't a fight that I can watch again & again, in the way I can with the Gatti-Ward trilogy. I mean not that it's not an exciting fight, but for me it's exciting in the way Mayweather-Ndou was, high-pace but with one guy clearly dominating.
    I haven't actually seen Arturo Gatti vs Micky Ward 3, in quite sometime but i remember Arturo Gatti pretty much dominating. Except when he got knocked down which did change the fight around somewhat, but i didn't think it was as close as you had it, i believe i had Arturo Gatti winning 7 rounds clearly.

I agree that James Toney vs Vassiliy Jirov wasn't as close, as some people think it was. But i don't think it was like Floyd Mayweather vs Phillio N'dou. That was clearly a one sided fight and maybe only 1 round was debatable.

Where as even though Vassiliy Jirov wern't landing, many clean punches. Atleast he was making it a very physical fight, and he was able to make rounds debatable enough for them too be close based on his workrate, i think i had it 7-4-1 for James Toney, but again its all just opinions and tastes. Your not wrong im not wrong just are tastes differ.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Jirov is gonna have a rough go of it.
    For every story told that divides us, I believe there are a thousand untold that unite us.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I was a big Jirov fan back in his heyday. It will be good to see Jirov live on tv..it feels like ages since I've seen him fight live. The two year layoff probably refreshed Jirov and did him a world of good. At 35 he'll have to move fast but I think if he can get back to 80% of what he used to be he can be a player in the division. Not sure if he could beat Guillermo Jones or Tomasz Adamek at this point in his career but I'd give him a decent shot at beating the other belt holders.

Last fight against Kenny Craven

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayezw73F1LI

Here he is back in the day

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pn-g8DbAxGE
    Last edited by TigerFan; 08-09-2009 at 05:12 PM.

Mentioned
    124 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hate to be a downer here but is it just me who thinks he's coming back because he needs the money? Come on, what's he going to have left at 35 after two years out?

Mentioned
    430 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Kirkland Laing View Post
    Hate to be a downer here but is it just me who thinks he's coming back because he needs the money? Come on, what's he going to have left at 35 after two years out?
    Thats probally a factor no doubt.I do also think its just that itch that nearly all fighters get after leaving what they've done forever,and Jirov strikes me as one with a big competitive streak.Have to agree with the consensus in that it will be a long road back....but not an impossible one by any means.

Two years out can go either way.How's the time spent,been training or sitting on his couch downing twinkies and kool aid?I have the feeling that its been in the works for a while and should be good to see what comes of.I think Jirov can reclaim a strap at 190 if he's close to past form.I honestly don't put to much guess work on the age,as the heavier weights tend to have longer shelve life and this division in particular has some of the top guys pushing mid thirties....shite,Guillermo Jones is what 37,38 and has looong layoffs as well.Keep itching for a showdown with Cunningham...IF,IF....Jirov gets back on track.Can only imagine what that body work will do to slow him down.Adamek vs Jirov would be an R rated scrap.Getting ahead here lol.....lets see him vs. TBA first

Thread Information