Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Arrow Marcos Maidana vs. Devon Alexander - Saturday night fight thread

Tons of boxing on tonight, why Maidana agreed to fight Alexander in his hometown of St. Louis, is a mystery, perhaps he believes in can get a decision there, who knows. Broner vs. Perez in the undercard fight, I will watch, but i'm not expecting an enjoyable night of boxing in St. Louis.

Feb. 25
    At St. Louis (HBO): Marcos Maidana vs. Devon Alexander, 10 rounds, welterweights; Adrien Broner vs. Eloy Perez, 12 rounds, for Broner's WBO junior lightweight title; Sharif Bogere vs. Sergio Rivera, 10 rounds, junior welterweights.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The best fights Saturday are across the pond in Germany and Wales on Epix, somebody needs to start a separate fight thread.. Beanz?:

At Stuttgart, Germany (Epix and EpixHD.com): Alexander Povetkin vs. Marco Huck, 12 rounds, for Povetkin's WBA "regular" heavyweight title; Dominik Britsch vs. Roberto Santos, 12 rounds, middleweights.

At Cardiff, Wales (Epix and EpixHD.com): Nathan Cleverly vs. Tommy Karpency, 12 rounds, for Cleverly's WBO light heavyweight title; Enzo Maccarinelli vs. TBA, 10 rounds, cruiserweights.

Cheers
    Last edited by Mars_ax; 02-25-2012 at 04:35 PM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Marcos Maidana vs. Devon Alexander on HBO Saturday

I'm not sure if you were being sarcastic but I think the US fights are much better than the ones in Europe.

(Povetkin wins a boring, noncompetitive decision over a blown-up cruiser; and Cleverly dominates a nobody instead of facing a top 10 guy in the division. Maybe I'm missing something?)

I agree there's nearly no chance Maidana can win a decision in Alexander's backyard. We've seen that show before. But I've never seen Maidana not try to KO his opponent -- which is why he's never in a boring fight. I'll go with the majority view and pick Alexander on points but I wouldn't be surprised at all to see him get caught and dropped. He's nowhere near as technically sound as many of us believed he might be when he was coming up.

I'm picking Broner too (also on points -- I don't see him KO'ing Perez) but I think he'll be in really tough. Easily the biggest challenge he's ever had.

The St. Louis fights should both be very competitive -- I'm looking forward to them.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by shza View Post
    I'm not sure if you were being sarcastic but I think the US fights are much better than the ones in Europe.

(Povetkin wins a boring, noncompetitive decision over a blown-up cruiser; and Cleverly dominates a nobody instead of facing a top 10 guy in the division. Maybe I'm missing something?)

I agree there's nearly no chance Maidana can win a decision in Alexander's backyard. We've seen that show before. But I've never seen Maidana not try to KO his opponent -- which is why he's never in a boring fight. I'll go with the majority view and pick Alexander on points but I wouldn't be surprised at all to see him get caught and dropped. He's nowhere near as technically sound as many of us believed he might be when he was coming up.

I'm picking Broner too (also on points -- I don't see him KO'ing Perez) but I think he'll be in really tough. Easily the biggest challenge he's ever had.

The St. Louis fights should both be very competitive -- I'm looking forward to them.
    I was being a little sarcastic Shza, but i'm not expecting the fights in St. Louis to be all that exciting, the last really good fight held in St Lou, that I can recall was when Zab stopped Corey "the rabbit" Spinks. Perhaps Maidana can flatten Alexander or at least knock him down a couple times and make the night enjoyable. I don't like Broner at all, so I hope Eloy pulls off an upset. I will be watching and it's an excuse for drinking a few beers.

As for the afternoon fights on Epix from Germany and Wales, they're both title fights that should be at least as good as the ones in St. Louis. Povetkin vs. Huck might actually turn out to be a competitive fight. I havn't seen Cleverly fight, so i'm looking forward to that.

Anyway, Saturday should be a full day of boxing for us fans.

cheers dude.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I have a bad feeling that Maidana will knock down Alexander 2-3 times but will still lose /robbed on points.
    Hidden Content

collecting scores from the best boxing sites and forums

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hmmm totally forgot this fight is in stl and I'm actually going to stl this weekend got to see what tickets are going for should be a fun fight, even tho I might witness a robbery in person....

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by fightscorecollector View Post
    I have a bad feeling that Maidana will knock down Alexander 2-3 times but will still lose /robbed on points.
    That's why I don't like fights from St Louis, the decisions there are as bad as some of the recent ones here in Texas.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Mars_ax View Post
    That's why I don't like fights from St Louis, the decisions there are as bad as some of the recent ones here in Texas.
    hopefully with what happened in Texas maybe put a bit of pressure on the judges from St Louis. For this fight they have to have neutral judges...Maidana's team would be crazy not to demand that
    Hidden Content

collecting scores from the best boxing sites and forums

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Gotta go with Alexander in Louie.. Maidana is a one trick pony and he's been figured out too much.. Not a fan of Alexander but I think he'll box his way to a decision in between some rough moments. Maidana will get his shots in occasionally but not enough to take the fight..

Alexander UD..

Alexander VS Kell Brook muthafuckers!!

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Mars_ax View Post
    hopefully with what happened in Texas maybe put a bit of pressure on the judges from St Louis. For this fight they have to have neutral judges...Maidana's team would be crazy not to demand that.
    Yup, and a neutral ref, this fight is a 10 round welterweight fight, both guys moving up from 140 to 147.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think the most likely outcome will be a controversial decision for Alexander, but I'm still picking Maidana to break his heart and get him out of there late on.
    He Who Is Brave Is Free

Wisdom, compassion and courage are the three universally recognised moral qualities of men.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by armin View Post
    Hmmm totally forgot this fight is in stl and I'm actually going to stl this weekend got to see what tickets are going for should be a fun fight, even tho I might witness a robbery in person....
    If you go to the fights in St. Louis, be sure to give us an update.

cheers

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by shza View Post

I like Povetkin v. Huck. For one, Huck is in a lot of fun fights, and Povetkin's last fight against Boswell was entertaining. At 6'2, Povetkin is a small heavyweight. He weighs in around 220-230 for fights. Huck probably walked into the ring at 210-220 as a cruiserweight, and he's about 6'2 as well. I favor Povetkin, but I can see it being an entertaining scrap while it lasts. In my opinon, there is a lot at stake, if Huck were to pull off the upset, I bet he becomes Vitali's next opponent.

Cleverly's fight is blah blah. I agree with you there.

Broner v. Perez. Broner's toughest challenge since Ponce De Leon. Broner learned his lesson from the Ponce De Leon fight though, and i see him winning this one easily. I hope not though.

Similar to everyone else, I like Alexander by UD. Could Maidana pull off the upset? Sure, but I doubt it.

Don't forget about Burgos v. Cruz, on FNF this week, it should be a good fight.

Mentioned
    1676 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I have Devon winning on points legitimately as Maidana is slow and ponderous.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    948 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by FinitoElDinamita View Post
    Gotta go with Alexander in Louie.. Maidana is a one trick pony and he's been figured out too much.. Not a fan of Alexander but I think he'll box his way to a decision in between some rough moments. Maidana will get his shots in occasionally but not enough to take the fight..

Alexander UD..

Alexander VS Kell Brook muthafuckers!!
    I think Brook would make Alexander look as crude as Maidana but it would be a good match-up.
    Hidden Content

"I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it."

LouEVIL, Kentucky "birthplace of Cassius Clay"
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

we all know how this will go...

Maidana will beat the shit out of Alexander, and then get robbed...again!
    I mean really, duh!! how many times have we seen this in recent times

Thread Information