Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post
This conversation prompted me to look at the "Historical Gallup Polling comparison" of Presidents since FDR.

Some interesting shit in there.

For instance:

• Trump's average approval rating throughout his term: 41 (lowest among the previous 13 Presidents, since FDR)
  • Trump's highest approval rating while in office: 46 (only President not to crack the 50's)
  • Lowest approval rating while in office: 34 (at least a few have him beat in that category... Carter 28, Nixon 24, Truman 22)

Well... Carter suffered through the Iran hostage crisis. Nixon of course was undone by Watergate... and Truman's downfall was the Korean War.

Anyway, these are Gallup numbers... and obviously those who end up disfavored by Gallup immediately dismiss them as flawed. Unfortunately, there aren't too many other choices out there with regards to Presidential approval rating polls. (Unless of course you want to believe Fox News polls on the subject... ).

But being the thorough chap that I am, I researched Gallup themselves. Seems like Gallup obtained a grade of "B" by a site that grades polling firms.

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/pollster-ratings/

So I guess I don't feel TOO off base.