Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Ward vs. Bika in the works

So now that Dirrell pulled out it looks like Andre Ward will possibly be facing Bika. They are not sure yet if it's gonna be a SS bout or not. I say they just scrap the whole Super Six, and have Ward fight Bute, and Froch-Abraham, then let the rest of the guys fight it out when they get healthy.

Sakio Bika likely to fill in for injured Andre Dirrell against Andre Ward - ESPN

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Ward vs. Bika in the works

This tournament has failed. Why are we even bothering with this charade now? Hardly any of the original fighters are left.

Pointless.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by miles View Post
    This tournament has failed. Why are we even bothering with this charade now? Hardly any of the original fighters are left.

Pointless.
    Contractual obligations. Plus they probably want to milk it for every penny possible. It would have been much better as a single elimination tournament - the round robin style is just too much of a logistical nightmare. That way if you're injured and can't compete, you're out of the tournament by default.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Bika doesn't deserve to be anywhere near a tournament dusted with the name SUPER. He's not great, is seriously one of the dirtiest fighters I've ever seen. He absolutely starched Jean Paul Mendy when he was down in his last fight and got DQ'd. It was way way more vicious and dirty than AA on Direll. Shockin if no-one has seen it. I posted it in the File Share board if anyone ain't seen it.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by miles View Post

Pointless.
    I just think that is a bit harsh, mate. I see the Super Six as something which worked well to match the top guys at 68' but failed to live up to our expecations as a tournament. Maybe as a concept it failed because three of the original participants are out. Let's give credit when it's due and look at what the tournament did right.

For one, I give props to Showtime for making a valient attempt at something novel in the boxing world. The tournament also did a great job making the important fights at 168 actually happen. How many times do we as boxing fans miss seeing the best fight the best? Haye/Klitschkos, Vic/Donaire II, PBF/Pacquiao, and the list goes on. The tournament brought us quality matches pitting the best at 68' against eachother including Carl Froch-Mikkel Kessler, Mikkel Kessler-Andre Ward, and Arthur Arbaham-Jermain Taylor. In addition, it completely changed the landscape at 68': Jermain Taylor retired; Kessler was exposed and vindicated; and, the rise of Andre Ward began. We got that all within a year.

Clearly, it hasn't been perfect. Forcing us to sit through an Andre Dirrell fight coupled with all the injuries detracted from the tournament's success.

However, it's not even over yet. As far as compelling match-ups that could be made at 68', Arthur Abraham/Carl Froch is definitely up there. As is Andre Ward with either of Froch/Abraham, a match we will see in the next round. And maybe you don't think they belong in the tournament, but Johnson/Green verse Froch/Abraham are going to be fun fights to watch. At the end of the day, the main upsetting part about the tournament is that Kessler is out and we have to wait a few months to see Ward fight Froch or Abraham.

Who would you rather see Ward/Abraham/Froch fight other than Bute?
    Last edited by Rantcatrat; 10-13-2010 at 07:41 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I hae heard that Bute will move to 175 after Brinkley if he does he is a joke, the guy has fought nobody at 168, and will bow out against fucking Jessie Brinkley .

This event is a farce now.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Looking forward to seeing Bika's fine ass wife on the telly again.
    http://instagram.com/jonnyboy_85_/

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Weren't people saying Bika would do good in this competition? Now that he's in it no one's interested?
    Life is still worth while If You Just Smile - MJ

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Majesty View Post
    Weren't people saying Bika would do good in this competition? Now that he's in it no one's interested?

1. He might not be in the event, he could well just be fighting Ward as a non super six fight, Ward is already through to the semi's

2. He has been given one fight against the best fighter in the event, how the fuck can you get excited about it?

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

TBH Bika deserves the shot, he was dominating Mendy before the dq, he just needs some self control in those situatiobns. I remember him vs Codrington, he doesnt stop until his opponent is on the canvas. He really needs to pay more attention to the ref.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by skel1983 View Post
    I hae heard that Bute will move to 175 after Brinkley if he does he is a joke, the guy has fought nobody at 168, and will bow out against fucking Jessie Brinkley .

I've heard quite the opposite from french medias in Montreal, the only person he would fight in a middle time period at 175 is Jean Pascal because that fight in Montreal would just be h-u-g-e but Bute said recently that he won't go to 175 yet because there is a lot of work to do at 168. Pavilk's name is in the air so is Froch and Jean Bedard, the money keeper of Interbox stated that he's in discussion for a major fight in march concerning Bute on HBO and likely at 168 again. He'll move to 175 eventually, just not right now, you can count on that.
    Hidden Content
    That's the way it is, not the way it ends

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Nameless View Post

I've heard quite the opposite from french medias in Montreal, the only person he would fight in a middle time period at 175 is Jean Pascal because that fight in Montreal would just be h-u-g-e but Bute said recently that he won't go to 175 yet because there is a lot of work to do at 168. Pavilk's name is in the air so is Froch and Jean Bedard, the money keeper of Interbox stated that he's in discussion for a major fight in march concerning Bute on HBO and likely at 168 again. He'll move to 175 eventually, just not right now, you can count on that.

I guess you missed the interview with his managment a few days ago? Where he stated he is moving to 175 after the Brinkley fight.

His management team has said in the Montreal media that the original plan to face the 168lbs winner is changed because the tournamnent will now take too much time to complete.

BUTE would have liked to face JEAN PASCAL as soon as March 2011 but since Jean needs to immediately give Dawson a rematch after the HOPKINS fight, their dual will have to wait until at least the end of 2011 !

The BUTE team is now looking to possibly face DANNY GREEN coming back down at 175lbs or there is talk of JOE CALZAGHE coming out of retirement to face BUTE !!! The Calzaghe fight would take place in Europe
    Last edited by skel1983; 10-14-2010 at 03:05 PM.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Skel, can you show us that link to Bute's coach saying that?

My opinion is most of Bute's good opponents at 168 were tied up in the tournament. He has outboxed everyone put in front of him on the b-level otherwise.

Danny Green said he wouldn't go below 185 so that fight isn't happening. Plus he needs to get by BJ Flores first. Pavlik has indicated that wants to remain at 160. Dirrell is out indefinitely as is Kessler. Pascal is fighting Bhop and then Dawson.

He needs an A-opponent badly. Problem is - who?
    Last edited by Rantcatrat; 10-14-2010 at 03:32 PM.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Nameless View Post

Froch is locked up in the tournament. What major fight in March at 168 could there be?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Boxing news 24 reported this, i was also on the scene. Jason Kim was the reporter. Mentioned Green if he beats Flores and Calzaghe at 175 and he is not willing to wait for the super six winner and will be moving up.

Go there website it's on there somewhere.

Thread Information