26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Sergey Kovalev - Jean Pascal this weekend

Quote Originally Posted by Gandalf View Post
    People seldom get seriously hurt in boxing
    Perhaps that's something to do with the 'bad' stoppages people complain about? The last fighter given an extra round after being knocked down and put out on his feet by Kovalev tragically slipped into a coma and later died, so let's not pretend it's rare enough that the risks in not quite sating a crowd's bloodlust are at all worth the potential outcome.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

That's the thing though. When you sign up to do something safe like sitting behind a desk, you chose that with the safety also in mind. When you sign up for the army, you do it knowing there is a chance you will lose a limb. Likewise, when you fight for a boxing title, you fully know the risks going into that. Pascal knew the risks and straight away was at the referee for stopping it. His body was wilting, but his mind was there. On that basis you let the man who signed the contract do the job he wants to do. He could quit at any moment if he really wanted to, but some people are so dedicated to their craft that they will see it through to the end. Pascal earned my respect in that fight because he proved his heart and wanted to see it through.
    You honestly think somebody in the ring is in the frame of mind to have the foresight to stop? That's why referees and seconds are there to PROTECT these humans.

You think magomed abdusalamov wouldn't stop a few rounds earlier if he could go back and do so?

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by AdamGB View Post
    Perhaps that's something to do with the 'bad' stoppages people complain about? The last fighter given an extra round after being knocked down and put out on his feet by Kovalev tragically slipped into a coma and later died, so let's not pretend it's rare enough that the risks in not quite sating a crowd's bloodlust are at all worth the potential outcome.
    Fighters seldom end up in coma though and statistically how likely is it that Kovalev is going to become the new Ivan Drago? Top level fighters typically come with a chin and Pascal is clearly one of those. Other top fighters that cannot take it will quit like Cleverly. Let the fighter decide what he can and cannot do or at the least let the corner decide. They know their fighter inside out. The referee wasn't consistent in this regard. Pascal was out on his feet in the 3rd or 4th and yet was deemed okay.....and he did comeback superbly. Yet now he was deemed totally beyond repair? Why not the same benefit of the doubt? It isn't about blood lust, it is about wanting to see a warrior given the chance. As soon as he goes down, then stop it straight away. It is very unlikely that he is heading straight into a coma. In the rare event that happens, it typically happens because a fighter is drained or what have you and that is a different issue. Pascal was in shape and has a great chin. He would have taken his loss and there would have been no excuses.

Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Early stoppage. Yes he was hurt, but early stoppage.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Bad Stoppage

Miles
    VD
    SlimTrae
    Brock

Good Stoppage

Spicoli
    Amat
    Julius Rain
    Kirkland Laing
    TitoFan
    Walrus
    TigerFan
    MrBig1
    beenKOed
    Dia bando
    Beanflicker
    Greenbeanz
    Nameless
    J_Undisputed
    AdamGB

On the fence

armin
    swice

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post
    Bad Stoppage

Miles
    VD
    SlimTrae
    Brock

Good Stoppage

Spicoli
    Amat
    Julius Rain
    Kirkland Laing
    TitoFan
    Walrus
    TigerFan
    MrBig1
    beenKOed
    Dia bando
    Beanflicker
    Greenbeanz
    Nameless
    J_Undisputed
    AdamGB

On the fence

armin
    swice
    i think it was a good stoppage

this is besides the point because it is the job of numerous people around the ring to keep the fighters safe but Kovalev is a complete animal and doesnt seem to really care for his opponents health
    Officially the only saddo who has had a girlfriend

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by AdamGB View Post
    Fighters seldom end up in coma though and statistically how likely is it that Kovalev is going to become the new Ivan Drago? Top level fighters typically come with a chin and Pascal is clearly one of those. Other top fighters that cannot take it will quit like Cleverly. Let the fighter decide what he can and cannot do or at the least let the corner decide. They know their fighter inside out. The referee wasn't consistent in this regard. Pascal was out on his feet in the 3rd or 4th and yet was deemed okay.....and he did comeback superbly. Yet now he was deemed totally beyond repair? Why not the same benefit of the doubt? It isn't about blood lust, it is about wanting to see a warrior given the chance. As soon as he goes down, then stop it straight away. It is very unlikely that he is heading straight into a coma. In the rare event that happens, it typically happens because a fighter is drained or what have you and that is a different issue. Pascal was in shape and has a great chin. He would have taken his loss and there would have been no excuses.
    Fighters with chins and heart are the ones that take too much punishment Miles. Magomed didn't go down and obviously wasn't weight drained.

This 'rarity' happened again this morning, no knockdowns occurred Featherweight Boxer Braydon Smith Dies at Age 23 | Bleacher Report stop being a moron.

This is not a fucking game, the protection of a fighter should always be priority number one if there is ANY doubt.

Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Good stoppage. You cant 'have a wander' across the ring on rubber legs then complain that you're stopped after the next clean punch to the head.
    When God said to the both of us "Which one of you wants to be Sugar Ray?" I guess I didnt raise my hand fast enough

Charley Burley

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

That gif says it all and I must say that was a classy move by Kov to point ay Pascal essentially pleading for them to stop it. Then the way he threw one heavy shot and then stepped back. Total class by a guy that I thought was short on it. Pascal was 3/4 ko'd when he tried to walk it off.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I thought it was a good stoppage and why there are any talks of a rematch are beyond me. Pascal won two rounds, and even they were close. All he did was wildly swing in phases. Pascal knows he would get owned in a rematch too.

Mentioned
    197 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Bad Stoppage

Miles
    VD
    SlimTrae
    Brock

Good Stoppage

Spicoli
    Amat
    Julius Rain
    Kirkland Laing
    TitoFan
    Walrus
    TigerFan
    MrBig1
    beenKOed
    Dia bando
    Beanflicker
    Greenbeanz
    Nameless
    J_Undisputed
    AdamGB

On the fence

armin
    swice

I guess I could use the same word as Brock (early) For me it was looking at Pascal @ the stoppage. When a fighter can question the ref, doesn't wobble around, then it tells me he had his faculties.

It's not in my book of all time bad stoppages, but gotta wonder fellaz...if that had been Steve Smoger, do we think he would have stopped it like that? Aren't those moments what a standing 8 can come into play?

No complaints from me, not a bad stoppage, but premature; probably.

Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I find it fascinating how the brain works in these situations. A fighter can get chinned, be out of it, and then in a split second land a punch that hurts the other bloke and in an instant shake off those effects of being chinned and go on the attack.

There's no rhyme or reason to it, it doesn't happen all the time, but when it does it's amazing.

Chris Eubank used to a do a great speech called the killing time, all about the moment when the fight is won and lost. It doesn't seem to matter who created that moment, it's all about who recognises it's presence.
    When God said to the both of us "Which one of you wants to be Sugar Ray?" I guess I didnt raise my hand fast enough

Charley Burley

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by SlimTrae View Post
    Bad Stoppage

Miles
    VD
    SlimTrae
    Brock

Good Stoppage

Spicoli
    Amat
    Julius Rain
    Kirkland Laing
    TitoFan
    Walrus
    TigerFan
    MrBig1
    beenKOed
    Dia bando
    Beanflicker
    Greenbeanz
    Nameless
    J_Undisputed
    AdamGB

On the fence

armin
    swice

I guess I could use the same word as Brock (early) For me it was looking at Pascal @ the stoppage. When a fighter can question the ref, doesn't wobble around, then it tells me he had his faculties.

It's not in my book of all time bad stoppages, but gotta wonder fellaz...if that had been Steve Smoger, do we think he would have stopped it like that? Aren't those moments what a standing 8 can come into play?

No complaints from me, not a bad stoppage, but premature; probably.

Well at least you and Brock said "early", not "horrible" like VD, which is par for the course as far as he's concerned.
    Slim, did you not see Pascal stumbling from one corner to the other like a drunkard while Kovalev was getting up from his trip and fall?

I hate to disagree with you, buddy... but more often than not, even boxers who have definitely had enough complain about the stoppage to the referee. It's a natural reaction. There's a lot of pride involved, remember. Look at the recent ring deaths, in particular the 23-year old Australian fighter who just died. Like I said in a previous post, we as fans watching an exciting, riveting fight... will always want to see it continue. So when the stoppage comes there is naturally a certain degree of disappointment. But IMO, we can't let that disappointment color our judgment on whether a stoppage is premature or not.

Thread Information